Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Why is this happening? How, in the years of development, has no one noticed and corrected this?

It's Interface 101: If you're going to show the radius of an AoE skill, the things inside and only the things inside should be the things affected by the spell.

What is the point of trying to very carefully taking the time to aim the spell so that it ONLY hits enemies and does not hit allies when it just goes ahead and zaps them anyway?

And - pay attention here - No, I'm not talking about surfaces transmitting effects. The actual skills are hitting beyond the displayed radius. It's getting increasingly irritating as I'm playing.

There is no point in showing a radius if it doesn't match the actual effect. Please fix this.

Oh, and also, show the range and radius of skills as part of the tooltips. It's useful information. But the only way to see it is to try and use the skill. It should be included in the skill description. Common sense. Ease of use.

Last edited by Stabbey; 12/10/17 08:40 PM. Reason: edited for tone
K
stranger
stranger
K
It actually goes in both directions, sometimes it hits outside the lines, and sometimes it never even gets to the line, and doesn't hit things it said it would hit.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Why does only one person agree with this really obvious suggestion.

I am guessing that the radius line might be the center of the edge of the effect. So say a spike from Impalement on the outer edge might be half inside and half outside, so it can still hit things outside the radius.

FYI to programmers, that's not how the radius should work. The radius should completely contain the entire effect. It doesn't do to have people supposedly outside the radius getting hit, with the exception of surface effect propagation, obviously.

I'm going to assume that only one person agreed because only one person responded. That'd be my educated guess. I'll make it two out of two, but I don't get worked up about it. It's a thing, it happens, quite honestly I'm far more upset about the lack of pumpkin helmets. I know D:OS:EE had the same issue with some spells, Hail Storm in particular, where the aoe of each explosion was rather large and were guaranteed to go outside the aoe.

Pumpkin helmet though...

Trap Strats: DOS1:EE? Cheese - DOS2? Mashed potatoes - Proper nutrition is key to dungeon delving.
T
apprentice
apprentice
T
I do not think you have a point, to be honest.

The AoE works "mostly" as indicated, it also highlights affected characters, but as Divinity Original Sin 2 has that "floor is also affected by what you do" an effect and "bleed out" and spread a bit. I guess that is what happens.

Second, I do like it that the effect is not entirely limited to an exact pixel, to me this feels more believable and helps with immersion.

Third, following from "Second", I need to calculate the risk if one of my other characters stands too close. I like that choice tactically.

And now to fourth: While spells sometimes affected my close characters, I never had the impression is was too bad. Probably the choices of "Third" were sound?

And lastly "Why did no one answer": You wrote a ragepost. You used caps. You cursed. You demanded a fix. This isn't a discussion. This isn't a valid critisism or injection. This is a childish tantrum. And those tend to get - rightly! - ignored.

Last edited by Tripledragon; 12/10/17 06:55 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Originally Posted by Tripledragon

He has a more than valid point, and your defenses of targeting rings being barely more than vague suggestions of where something will hit amount to nothing greater than 'muh flavors'. Sorry, but when Dazing Bolt hits more shit OUTSIDE of the ring than inside, 'muh flavor' ain't gonna cut it as an excuse.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran

You're wrong. That's all there is to it. If the radius is only an approximation, it is not doing its only job.

The AoE works "mostly" as indicated, it also highlights affected characters, but as Divinity Original Sin 2 has that "floor is also affected by what you do" an effect and "bleed out" and spread a bit. I guess that is what happens.

No, it's not about surface propagation. I understand surface propagation. Surface propagation is fine. But there are things which do not change surfaces which hit outside the displayed radius.

Second, I do like it that the effect is not entirely limited to an exact pixel, to me this feels more believable and helps with immersion.

Good for your immersion. I'm talking about gameplay.

Third, following from "Second", I need to calculate the risk if one of my other characters stands too close. I like that choice tactically.

What I want is the proper information. When the radius displayed says "your allies will not be hit" and the actual attack hits allies, that's not rewarding tactical choice.

M
stranger
stranger
M

And now to fourth: While spells sometimes affected my close characters, I never had the impression is was too bad. Probably the choices of "Third" were sound?

And lastly "Why did no one answer": You wrote a ragepost. You used caps. You cursed. You demanded a fix. This isn't a discussion. This isn't a valid critisism or injection. This is a childish tantrum. And those tend to get - rightly! - ignored.

He makes 2 points and both of those points are 100% Valid:

1. Radius of Effect =/= Indicator Radius

This should obviously be fixed. The effects are not coded with parameters that allow flexible radii, as in, Effects x +- 0.2m. Thus the indicators should match. Simple as that.

2. Spell descriptions does not include Range and AOE Radius

This obviously needs to be implemented. No question about it.

How dare they demand a fix!!! Unbelievable!!!

These games are not produced as a charity for the sole purposes of our entertainment, we pay for these games, in this case people paid for the entire thing to happen (Kickstarter). And they have certain expectations as a result.

Thus, they have every right to demand a fix, be angry when obvious things are not correctly implemented. Especially given that this game has been on early release for more than a year and 2 patches after release we still have a BETA product in our hands. And the developers decide to take a vacation after releasing a patch that does not even fix the issues it claims to fix, and even breaks the game further in some cases.

Yes, people do have a right to be angry.

Noone agrees because you're generalizing....

I never had issues with most of the AoE ....

The only thing i can think of is the lvl 4 lightning bolt (dont have the name in front of me)

Rest is fine for me thus far

So maybe more precisions as to what and when would help your case.....and probably show more self control as to what you're writing...

Last edited by AngeliusMefyrx; 12/10/17 11:42 PM.
veteran
veteran
If you melee fighter is close to an enemie and you aim your hail strike at that enemie trying to avoid your own guy, and in the end you still hit your own guy... Yes, that already annoyed me during EA.

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
i can't tell you how many times i've accidentally entangled my frontliner with worm tremor despite meticulously edging them out of the radius to only hit enemies

this is clearly a problem that should be fixed

dazing bolt is even worse. i have absolutely no idea of the mechanics behind what that spell hits

Last edited by miaasma; 13/10/17 03:01 PM.
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by miaasma
dazing bolt is even worse. i have absolutely no idea of the mechanics behind what that spell hits

It targets the enemy closest to the center of the radius and hits them with a bolt of lighting from above, hitting all targets in the radius. So to use it properly, center the radius on the head of the intended target to see who will be hit.

Yes, this works differently than other AoE skills and it is unclear.

I agree with OP. The function has to work as intended. I take my time making sure the AOE circle doesn't highlight my allies, yet they still get hit with no surfaces around. Clearly this is an issue with rounding of fractions.

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard