Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
apprentice
apprentice
il 30 settembre tutti su steam!! vi scriviamo delle belle recensioni!!

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by CAGE
il 30 settembre tutti su steam!! vi scriviamo delle belle recensioni!!

To write a review you need to buy the game first.
Personally not giving them any money is way worse than review bombing the game.

apprentice
apprentice
ci sn altri canali x bombardare vai tranquillo!!

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Malabolgia

Sorry but I think they knew how a development process works even before going to 2019 E3 to release interviews to the press.

Underestimating development process or how much content will be implimented is a common mistake made by game devs. And if you watched recent BG3 live stream you would see an example of how the game constantly gets bigger as devs finds new cool interactions which were no planned before.

apprentice
apprentice
spiagami cosa centra lo sviluppo del gioco con la traduzione visto che paghi altre persone per fare il lavoro!!

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by Wormerine

Sorry but I think they knew how a development process works even before going to 2019 E3 to release interviews to the press.

Underestimating development process or how much content will be implimented is a common mistake made by game devs. And if you watched recent BG3 live stream you would see an example of how the game constantly gets bigger as devs finds new cool interactions which were no planned before.

If at a precise question "will Italian language be supported"? You reply "absolutely yes", you make me think that you know what you're talking about, so it's hard to believe they underestimated this task.
Consider, please, that we're talking about a major feature (as I also pointed out previously, in a part which you didn't quote).
In any case, for me, what they had and are having is not acceptable behavior.

We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.
Abraham Lincoln, 1856.

apprentice
apprentice

Sure, I understand this is a common mistake.
So you need to be careful about making some public comments if you are unable to keep them ("will Italian language be supported"? You reply "absolutely yes") ...
because then your public image can be affected.
I understand not being able to develop additional content, but when you make a product less usable for a small or large community, it's annoying.

Last edited by Elledain; 24/08/20 01:56 PM.
veteran
veteran

If at a precise question "will Italian language be supported"? You reply "absolutely yes", you make me think that you know what you're talking about, so it's hard to believe they underestimated this task.
Consider, please, that we're talking about a major feature (as I also pointed out previously, in a part which you didn't quote).

So you suggest they deliberately said there will be an an Italian translation, without ever intending it? I can't see any reason for it.

Without a doubt, that was a wrong promise to make, but at the same time... the game isn't even being sold. And it won't be properly out for some time. It's not like Larian sold you a game, promising a feature that wasn't delivered. In the end if they would say that they didn't support Italian from the get-go the end result would be the same. It's disappointing, and I understand and it is a big PR hit with Italian playerbase. Would it really be much different if they would foresee from the get go, that Italian translation won't make it?

Originally Posted by Elledain

I understand not being able to develop additional content, but when you make a product less usable for a small or large community, it's annoying.

But... translation IS content. People need to spend time making it, reviewing it, implimenting it, and QA it as any other form of content. There are thousands of languages, and obviously vast majority of them won't be supported. It is unfortunate that Italian found itself among currently unsupported languages, and it's even more unfortunate that earlier Larian promised that it would be. Hopefully, it will change at some point in the future. Whenever it's major or minor feature most likely depends person to person. It seems many people here care for it, and I hope Larian will find a way to accomodate them sooner rather then later.

stranger
stranger

it is not the developer who does the translation of the game.

stranger
stranger
We look forward to these news! Don't deprive our country of Baldur's Gate III !!!

stranger
stranger
This is a shame...
The Italian community deserve, at least, the text translation...
The same happend with DoSII: I haven't buyed it as the fan translation comes...
No italian, no buy...

apprentice
apprentice
Would it really be much different if they would foresee from the get go, that Italian translation won't make it?

Well, for sure if they hadn't made such an important announcement made directly by the CEO, in my opinion there wouldn't have been all this uproar in the Italian community.

But... translation IS content. People need to spend time making it, reviewing it, implimenting it, and QA it as any other form of content. There are thousands of languages, and obviously vast majority of them won't be supported. It is unfortunate that Italian found itself among currently unsupported languages, and it's even more unfortunate that earlier Larian promised that it would be. Hopefully, it will change at some point in the future. Whenever it's major or minor feature most likely depends person to person. It seems many people here care for it, and I hope Larian will find a way to accomodate them sooner rather then later.

Certainly, but by doing so you risk breaking the customer's trust.

Last edited by Elledain; 24/08/20 02:44 PM.
M
stranger
stranger
M

So you suggest they deliberately said there will be an an Italian translation, without ever intending it? I can't see any reason for it.

I don't know if they ever intended to translate it to italian, but well, if someone from an important italian journal asks you about the localization, it's way easier to reply yes than no, don't you think? I leave it to you to figure out why.

Without a doubt, that was a wrong promise to make, but at the same time... the game isn't even being sold. And it won't be properly out for some time. It's not like Larian sold you a game, promising a feature that wasn't delivered. In the end if they would say that they didn't support Italian from the get-go the end result would be the same. It's disappointing, and I understand and it is a big PR hit with Italian playerbase. Would it really be much different if they would foresee from the get go, that Italian translation won't make it?

Of course it's different, even if leading to the same result.
If they told you they are making BG3 and then they suddenly remove any reference to D&D, wouldn't that be annoying?
My example is deliberately exaggerated, but would it be different if they told you from the beginning? Yes.

Consider please that they never told us about the change of plans. We discovered it by chance because it was asked by a user. Is this how you would treat your customers?

This has something to do with the ethic of a company.
Promissio boni viri est obligatio.

Last edited by Malabolgia; 24/08/20 03:06 PM.

We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.
Abraham Lincoln, 1856.

veteran
veteran

If they told you they are making BG3 and then they suddenly remove any reference to D&D, wouldn't that be annoying?
My example is deliberately exaggerated, but would it be different if they told you from the beginning? Yes.

Oh, it's annoying for sure. I am just not sure where the ethics fit in, unless you, again, claim that Sven deliberately lied to the public about that - which is a silly assumption as literally he had nothing to gain. I am yet to hear of the game which development process went as expected, in direction that was planned.

Spelunky2 will come out late for PC "for reasons". Is it annoying? Very! Is it unethical... not really. Sucks to be me when PS4 users will get to play the game that I have been looking forward to a lot. Still, for know I know that S2 WILL come to PC at some point, and I hope for the same for you.

But hey! I learned a lot of english by playing RPGs with dictionary in hand (I even had to do that for PoE1 as Obsidian's vocabulary likes to go beyond simple englished used by most companies). You can play BG3 AND make it productive!

stranger
stranger
It would be at least respectful to have some official explanations from Swen Vincke, or at least on Twitter, since the main cause was his statements, it would be nice if he took responsibility for it.

stranger
stranger

Oh, it's annoying for sure. I am just not sure where the ethics fit in, unless you, again, claim that Sven deliberately lied to the public about that - which is a silly assumption as literally he had nothing to gain. I am yet to hear of the game which development process went as expected, in direction that was planned.

Spelunky2 will come out late for PC "for reasons". Is it annoying? Very! Is it unethical... not really. Sucks to be me when PS4 users will get to play the game that I have been looking forward to a lot. Still, for know I know that S2 WILL come to PC at some point, and I hope for the same for you.

But hey! I learned a lot of english by playing RPGs with dictionary in hand (I even had to do that for PoE1 as Obsidian's vocabulary likes to go beyond simple englished used by most companies). You can play BG3 AND make it productive!

Playing with a dictionary in your hands after a hard work day isn't exactly what I call a fun and relaxing experience.
It isn't your standard adventure game like, I dont know, Resident Evil or Far Cry or Assassin's Creed, it's a game with tons of dialogues, most of time with particular terminologies, idioms and words that aren't easy to understand.
I tried Disco Elysium, and even if I've been playing for 13 years in english servers with a game like World of Warcraft (recently I got rank 14 on classic, so I've been talking for the last 4 months in english with people from every part of the world in discord), I had to refund Disco Elysium because it was literally unplayable, unfun and frustrating experience.

Last edited by Trynd; 24/08/20 03:38 PM.
apprentice
apprentice

Look, all day I work with the French language, the English language ... and in the evening or at the weekend when I can play I would like to relax and play in my native language, without having to be there with a dictionary to look up if I don't understand some words. Consider that I'm half Italian and half Portuguese, so I know a few languages ... but when I play I'm lazy.

It's different in my opinion, if a game only comes out for PS4 and not for PC, you are still free to wait for it to come out on PC or buy the PS4 to play it right away. A localization until you are sure it will be released (and we are not yet sure if there will be this blessed Italian translation in the future for BG3) is like having nothing in hand (in ita "avere solo una manciata di mosche in mano") ... no certainty!

Last edited by Elledain; 24/08/20 06:55 PM.
veteran
veteran

Just to be clear. The above wasn't a serious suggestion smile

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by CAGE
spiagami cosa centra lo sviluppo del gioco con la traduzione visto che paghi altre persone per fare il lavoro!!

Non è cosi facile, come potrebbe sembrare...

Partiamo da ciò che sappiamo e cioè che l'EA avrà circa 46k linee di testo per il primo atto, quindi visto che il gioco sembrerebbe passare le 100 ore di gioco mi aspetto almeno 4-5 atti, quindi la final release potrebbe contenere anche più di 300k linee di testo, una mole immensa da tradurre, e le cifre per una traduzione professionale mi pare di capire possano andare da 100 a 150 mila euro.
Loro hanno detto che non è un problema di budget e gli credo visto che per un titolo come BG3 il loro budget sarà di tutto rispetto in linea con un tripla A, il loro problema è il tempo per la localizzazione.
Considera che Larian localizza internamente, quindi le traduzioni sono fatte da loro dipendenti per non avere a che fare con publisher esterni quindi serve tempo per tradurre in più lingue una mole del genere di testo.

Last edited by SteFrankie; 24/08/20 07:09 PM.

Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
apprentice
apprentice
tradurre un gioco 100/150 mila euro?ba!! ma se non hanno mai tradotto niente in italiano (dos/dos2) cmq bg2 piu' dlc erano 400 ore ed era tutto tradotto!!

Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard