Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hello, we were playing a multiplayer game and at some point, the combat ai juststopped working for both hostile and friendly ai's. It didn't keep us from finishing fights, but every npc would spend 30ish seconds stuck at "planning next move" and not move on. At first we thought it was just a bit of usual glitchyness, but when we got to the grove intro encounter, we finally had a fight that was long enough to see that it was every enemy.

We then looked through our quicksaves to try and figure things out more. Sometime between quicksave 1 and quicksave 2 the bug occurred. Attempting to load a save from quicksave 2 and later, would load the character "Twisty" against a jumping spot in the early part of the map. Moving Twisty is possible, and saving after moving him quite far away would be successful, however loading those saves will show Twisty in the same position at the jumping point, instead of the place he was at when the save occurred. Whenever Twisty is included in a combat after the bug has occurred (aka load from quicksave 2+ and do a combat w/ him), the npc's turns consisted of calculating their moves until a timeout occurs to end the turn. Fights that do not include Twisty proceed as normal.

My guess as to why this is happening is that some location value of Twisty's is corrupted and not updating, so in a fight the npcs are trying to calculate options that involve getting to an inaccessible location and getting stuck in a loop, or that the process of calculating a set of impossible paths that spans across the multiple screens is too long to calculate out.

I can share the saves, not sure how to attach to a post

PS: This is a "chaotic evil" 4 man run, so we didn't need origin characters, and just kinda murdered them instead of letting them join. Kinda feel like this is Gale's curse from beyond the grave...

R
stranger
stranger
R
Hello! I also had this issue in Single Player, similar situation. My Custom Character bugged out when jumping through a open window in a burning building. I Saved and reloaded to fix it, HOWEVER, every save afterwards had the same issue, I would load the save file and my character is at that same jumping spot where I glitched and soon after all combat AIs just ceased to function. As in my save would leave my party members in another area and my Custom Character will still be at that jumping spot at the burning building where I glitched, also the AI, they take 20-30 secs planning and then do nothing. Their reactions still work, but they themselves will not move or attack, only attacks of opportunity.

No matter how many times I save and quit, close game and reload, changed to Direct X11 etc. it would not fix the issue. It is possible that jumping through tight spaces or small areas are not fully registered by the game and so the landing and the start of the jump is getting overlapped and the game glitches or maybe the code that tracks the location of the character is getting corrupted when performing jumps in small spaces and gaps so it just registers the last known location and will not reposition it with new saves. It is just as the Main poster theorized, that the AI cannot detect one of the characters due to the bugged position so the AI gets stuck in a loop which leaves them inactive.

Last edited by Raphiel75; 10/10/20 05:13 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard