Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rentara Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Larian, for the love of whatever god you currently pray to: please let me manage my inventory and hotbars. I am quite picky about where I want things put and I am sick and tired of constantly rearranging stuff because you won't leave it alone. Please consider changing the following:

- Only auto-populate the hotbars of characters the very first time they are used. If the character receives a new item I will add it where I want on the hotbar. Right now I have to constantly readjust every time I acquire new items.
- If I lock a hotbar please leave it locked! Right now they auto-unlock every game load.
- Leave my character inventory alone. Right now every time I send a character to camp and then ask them to rejoin all the inventory is rearranged from where I had it. Please leave it alone.

C
CMF Offline
C
you can go to options and uncheck "auto add" x y z to hotbar. I leave everything off except for spells. Locking hotbar just stops you from dragging items out on accident. Inventory management has sorting I'm sure you know, by weight/type/recent/value.

If you are sorting it to your own likes, then just avoid filtering.

What I do wish is that bags were better utilized, I would like to just click and drag/drop an item on the bag to auto insert into bag and not have to open the bag up and manually put it in a specific spot. Also I would like to be able to sort within the bags as well.

Lastly, not just with bags/inventory but also the chat log. Things tend to like to scroll to the top on refresh. When placing items in bags if it fills up enough where you have to scroll down a bit, the next item place in the bag zips your view back to the top of the bag scroll bar and you have to scroll down again just to see the empty spots. Except if you place an item on the far left column of the bags, then it stays scrolled down to the bottom with free spaces....

Rentara Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks! I didn't see those options! I still would like the option to to turn sorting completely off for inventory.

Yes, the auto-scrolling to the top with bags and chat is annoying as well.

C
CMF Offline
C
it shouldn't sort unless you select one of the sort options, I tend to use the sort a lot, so not sure if it triggers periodically and thats what is messing you up. I do know that I can have gaps in my inventory after selling or moving items around (I tend to force a sort at that point to clean it up)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The hotbar was really annoying. It's much more usable without the auto-add feature; okay, I often forget stuff I've picked up and could use, but on balance that's much less bad than not having the stuff I want to use arranged as I like it.

The bags are annoying. The tiny 5×4 window, the tendency to auto-scroll back to the top, the jumbling of stuff into a completely random disarray for anything not in your inventory, the dragging (did I get hold of it?) and dropping (will it just catapult itself back to where it came from for no reason?), will it or won't it stack? and so on are driving me nuts.

I'm also not big on the icons-with-text-but-only-if-you-hover thing: I mean that goes back way further than the Morrowind vs. Oblivion icons-vs-text inventory system. In the end I preferred the DarNified Oblivion scheme that had icons and text but nicely arranged and big enough to be readable but small enough to fit a lot of stuff on the screen.

Hopefully the UI will see a lot more attention and have options, or will at least be amenable to modding this time.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
The placement of the auto sort button makes it difficult to see, for those of us who do like the feature, in my opinion it should be more visible on the UI so its easier to find.

S
addict
addict
S
Originally Posted by vometia

The bags are annoying. The tiny 5×4 window, the tendency to auto-scroll back to the top, the jumbling of stuff into a completely random disarray for anything not in your inventory, the dragging (did I get hold of it?) and dropping (will it just catapult itself back to where it came from for no reason?), will it or won't it stack? and so on are driving me nuts.

I wish Larian would move more past their DOS-mindset. I want a little realism as to what a person can be expected to carry and still jump around like a kangaroo on the Moon. Bags/backpacks should be a prerequisite to carry much at all instead of Larian's pack-mule pocket dimension approach.

Get rid of 90% of the loot; hotbars would be much less chaotic...and I would suffer less PTSD triggers from my time playing Fallout 4 lol.

veteran
veteran
Yeah its really frustrating to have the hotbar unlock after reloading. Virtually everything about the current hotbar frustrates me.

Right after not being able to target from Portraits, hotbar organization is probably the single most annoying thing since I'm constantly having to reorganize it.

For starters its too small, both the number of slots we can display on the screen at once and just the scale of the icons.

It tries to do too much, serving as the entire spellcasting interface, when it should be just for whats "Hot." I mean that's why its called a hotbar right? Spellcasting and Class abilities/special attacks should have their own basic interface or a distinct bar with more built-in organization.

I can't tell you how many times I've removed a critical action like an attack from the hotbar by accident just because the hotbar was unlocked automatically. Only to have that action/spell just lost because the hotbar freezes in combat and I can't add back after its been cleared.

Since the hotbar is how everything is actually used, selecting the ability or spell from the other menu tabs to cast doesn't work. So we're reliant on the hotbar for everything.

Also why is it that we can't add such things to the hotbar during combat? Like what difference would it make?

Anyway from a visual organization standpoint the current hotbar kinda gives me nightmares. It uses arabic numerals at different scales for different things, hotkey or uses left, which is confusing at a glance. Consumables are mixed in with spells and special attacks.
At lower screen resolutions it clips out entirely on the right side, or covers up the attack of opportunity UI element the purpose of which isn't all that clear. And the arrows to toggle up/down or so tiny. There are also buttons around the hotbar and main game tabs that don't seem to do anything at all and can't be selected or interfaced with. I was hoping some of them would expand the hotbar or bring up spell lists or scrolls/consumables and such, but they are still blanked.

I hope next patch has some hotbar and UI updates. I'd rather have simple menus to activate my spells and potions and specials, and save the hotbar as a tool of convenience for the most commonly used stuff.

It should be possible to hide the entire hotbar and still be able to play the game, cast spells, use items and the like. Right now the hotbar is the gatekeeper for almost everything we can do that isn't a basic attack or universal bonus action, and really its tedious to navigate and rearrange since there's no built-in organization to it.

Last edited by Black_Elk; 03/11/20 09:37 AM.
old hand
old hand
The options don't even work. I turned off ALL automatic faffing about with my hotbar, and stuff still appears and disappears on there.

veteran
veteran
I just wish to add exception ... in options, when you can turn off autoadding potions, please add "except healing potions" option ...
Or even better, dont make them dissapear from hotbar, just bcs character dont have them anymore in inventory ... just make them grey, with small 0 in the count corner. That would be best option.

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 03/11/20 08:52 AM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
addict
addict
Inexcusable for Larian not to start from scratch the UI. And many other mechanics...
Total different IP from DOS yet so many elements come from these games. No wonder people call the game DOS3: Baldurs gate "partly sponsered by DnD".

If it weren't written <BG3> on the cover image, no one would of guessed its a Baldurs gate game.

Last edited by mr_planescapist; 03/11/20 09:26 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Might as well add my 2 cents worth here. I just got through setting up my hot bars after levelling up and it took much too long. It's one thing to have to re-arrange, but the mechanics are much too picky. There are no separators between slots and if you move something just slightly into an occupied slot, things mess up. You either substitute or the original occupant disappears.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It is annoying, but could be just either bugged or the functions to save it (hot bar locked state, inventory positions) not added yet (on to do list).

But then we can't know that, so it's safer to assume it's intended to be like this, and thus ask to be fixed. Game would be playable despite this, but that's why we do early access to signal these problems.

apprentice
apprentice
I have been forgetting to mention this... as a wizard I NEED YOU to leave my shit ALONE! It is for the survival of not only my party but the heroes/villains of this entire quest. LEAVE my Hotbar Alone!

Also... Larian what on earth is the deal with this inventory. Did you play your game? Have you played other games in the same genre that have been around for a long time? Have you seen popular mods for those games involving inventory and what the public demands of one for 30 plus years? We need to think about words like Speed, Function, Efficiency, Streamlined, and Easy.

Link Copied to Clipboard