Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Adiktus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Guy gets shot trying to open a gate in an early cinematic.

And not one, but THREE hot Tiefling ladies weep uncontrollably over his body. One of whom promptly a) tries to murder a goblin in a cage in cold blood and b) rushes off to fight an entire goblin camp by herself, and dies on a hilltop as a result. Not to mention how upset Zevlor seemed when he kicked the bucket. (All right, I know one of them was his sister.)

All this, plus the fact that they go to the trouble of GIVING KANON A DIGGABLE GRAVE after Minthara's attack on the grove fails, suggests he (or his memory) may be an important part of the rest of the game.

Either that, or he was a ledge between the sheets.

What think ye?

L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Whilst I'm aware of the fact "You can't save everyone" ... it honest vexes me that there's no way to honestly attempt to save him.

Well, the tiefling woman who tries to shoot Sazza is his sister, as is evidenced by the hankerchief you can find on her corpse. What makes me sad is that you can't save her, as, no matter what you do, she runs off to the Goblin camp and gets herself killed and the hankerchief has the most tragic item description I could possibly think of.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
A
addict
addict
A
Well, my character tried to revive him, but the scrolls didn't work. I guess Kanon decided he's had enough, and he'd rather enjoy his afterlife.

old hand
old hand
Does Kanon's sisters boyfriend ever appear again after the jail scene? I want his coat.

Also by the way Kanon's grave appears just after a certain amount of time has passed after his death, not necessarily after the second attack. Though it will probably definitely have appeared by the time you get to the second attack.

Optimistically Apocalyptic
Originally Posted by Dexai
Does Kanon's sisters boyfriend ever appear again after the jail scene? I want his coat.

Also by the way Kanon's grave appears just after a certain amount of time has passed after his death, not necessarily after the second attack. Though it will probably definitely have appeared by the time you get to the second attack.
No, I haven't run into him again after she runs off to the Goblin camp. His corpse doesn't show up, and he's not at the camp when everyone's packing up, so it's unclear where he ends up.

I honestly hope you have a most marvelous day!
A
Adiktus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I did have one run-through where Arka survived and came to the party, but have no clue what I did to make it happen. Nothing, maybe (ie, never talked to her at all or went into Sazza's prison room?)

C
stranger
stranger
C
I'm sure most people know this by now, but isn't she the one you save from a Bugbear assassin? Either way, a ton has changed since EA (which I stopped playing after a month or so bc the game was just too good and I wanted to experience the entire product as a whole)...I do remember finding the handkerchief at the goblin camp though. Yeah, that was crazy sad. I believe I found it on a goblin right inside the Gate of the main building. Another big change was removing the poison room to get to...some loot and evidence against Kagha? Heh, and for some reason Nettie won't sell me potions like she used to either. She just blesses me (no effect) and sends me on my way regardless of who I have talk to her and when. Before Halsin, after Halsin is safely back. While the Tieflings are packing all safe and sound, after they've left post party (which she doesn't even bother showing up for; the audacity!)...She had some useful things, and with that darn bird she is so darn hard to steal from. Maybe I'll just shut the door and _sleep_ her, then go through everything, warp out and come back after a long rest with NOTHING I took on my person. Made that mistake with the tablet and they were none too happy with me. Jail, had to pick pocket it again, send it to camp immediately, and then it was a simple "Nope, couldn't have been me" and I did not even have to roll for it. Then I go in and get what I need, no longer have trhe rune and no one is the wiser. If an item is in your inventory though, eth, they accuse you, let you go, then 3 seconds later you're bring stopped again by th same person who has zero chance of knowing you did it. Just a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things, as it seems most gripes about this game are.

The darn thing is just so good every tiny detail missed or road that is blocked of comes across as a big deal. Except the level cap. I get that high level characters are tough to DM for, especially in a video game, but I was level 12 my last 100 hours of my first playthrough, exiting Act 2 right before hitting level 12. There is so much content, if you do the majority and don't lock yourself out of things, well let's just say I was level 12 with over 100K XP earned after level 12 and still had the Wyrmway dungeons, House of Hope and the Final confrontation with my last stone holder plus whatever comes after that left to do before I quit and started a new playthrough, hoping that y the time I reach that point there are official mod tools out that don't disable achievements if you use them, or Larian just raises the cap and changes some spells and bad guys. The XP tables are in the game up to level 20 (much more XP needed than in regular 5E. 10K for level 13, 20K for 14, 30K for 15, 20K for 16, 40K for 17, then 45K, 50K, 50K I believe. So I'd b right around high 16/low 17th level with major, major high XP content left to do. Instead, I was level 12. For 107 hours. Lame. If a handful of people want to do everything knowing they are going to be over-leveled then I'm all for it. Gamers have been doing that for time infinitum.

Back on topic; sometimes characters just die in stories/games. Not being able to save 1 NPC that we don't know and have zero relationship with is a Star Trek thing. McCoy grabs Kirk: _"Just let him go Jim."_ *"But why Bones, why does the Red Shirt always take the phaser blast to the chest?"* _"Because Jim, it was either him or someone important the audience already relates to *OR* someone we have other things planned for. The bad guys need to seem bad. They also need to seem dangerous. So sometimes, the Red Shirt just has to go."_ I personally think it is amazing they basically let you save all of the Tieflings except for one chick (whose body I carried all the way back to the grove and dropped her at her boyfriend's feet and got...no response. None. Her body was still there after they left for Last Light. I forget where I found her exactly, but she was already dead and there is no saving her either. Completely off screen. Anyway, her and Kanon are it. You can literally save *everyone* else. It is hard as heck, even on Explorer or wtv the easiest mode is called, but it can *absolutely* be done. I didn't do it bc I forgot about the harpy kid in Act 1 and found him dead after I cleared the Gobbie camp. Oops. Saved everyone at Last Light and Moonrise though. Good grief that was nuts. Only one reload though and that was because I was so confused when the battle started. I thought I was going in solo with my party and all of a sudden everyone is fighting at the gates. I was like "Sanctuary" "Sanctuary", Someone find a scroll and cast another Sanctuary please...why are they still attacking, we got this if we can attack instead of casting Sanctuary with our Action and half of our bonus actions...dummies. Still, it's pretty cool how many people you can directly affect. Marina and her brothers for instance? I had no clue you could keep her brothers alive until I met them in BG. I thought the hag ate 'em. Or the Red Caps...Nope, you can save them. Myrena? Eh, I had a hard time with her. If I don't kill the hag before she goes to her lair Myrena usually gets whooped. Stupid things. Like I'll lower the cage and open it right away and she runs at the hag to attack her like a dodo bird on mescaline. Or the hag casts an illusion spell on her so she looks like one of the 3 hags and I accidentally chop her in half. I figured out how to not do that now and differentiate between the fake and real hag, but it's still a pain to not let her get pickled.

Stupid fact. If you take the had under 10 health outside of her lair she just runs into her lair on her turn if you skip to let her give you her "special" offer, so I never get the extra boost from her as that is one of the few parts of the game that still screws me up. Oh well, novel over. As much as I'd like to save everyone on a Boy Scout playthrough...or a Merc who does his job exceedingly well playthrough, we have to accept that some things just need to happen to reinforce the story.

W
enthusiast
enthusiast
W
Originally Posted by Adiktus
Guy gets shot trying to open a gate in an early cinematic.

And not one, but THREE hot Tiefling ladies weep uncontrollably over his body. One of whom promptly a) tries to murder a goblin in a cage in cold blood and b) rushes off to fight an entire goblin camp by herself, and dies on a hilltop as a result. Not to mention how upset Zevlor seemed when he kicked the bucket. (All right, I know one of them was his sister.)

All this, plus the fact that they go to the trouble of GIVING KANON A DIGGABLE GRAVE after Minthara's attack on the grove fails, suggests he (or his memory) may be an important part of the rest of the game.

Either that, or he was a ledge between the sheets.

What think ye?

I think the single funniest moment in this game is the conversation you have over Kanon's corpse if you don't have Lae'zel with you

Crying tiefling lady: CALL A HEALER!!!
*hard cut to an obviously dead Kanon*
Tiefling man: He's dead...
Tiefling Lady: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

addict
addict
Thank you for clearing up whose handkerchief I've been carrying around all the time.

Post-release there is a way to keep Kanon's sister alive.
It depends on your dialogue choices when persuading her not to shoot Sazza.

Originally Posted by DuskHorseman
Originally Posted by Dexai

No, I haven't run into him again after she runs off to the Goblin camp. His corpse doesn't show up, and he's not at the camp when everyone's packing up, so it's unclear where he ends up.
You can find his corpse in Act 2 with some of the dead replacement Tieflings

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
She stayed in the grove for me, and later left with the caravan, I think I used mind read and told her that kanan would hate her for killing the goblin

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard