Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Demonic #461925 04/04/13 11:26 PM
old hand
old hand
Relax! Chill! Calm down!

We're not diluting anything - on the contrary. We have a very iterative culture at Larian & so it's not uncommon for us to change our minds all the way until the end. Drives people who work with us bananas but that's the way it is. I'm told it's not that uncommon in other successful studios, so maybe it'll even help us one day. The cool part of having an open mind to iteration is that we're open to new perspectives, and when this entire "you are sexists" thing started, our initial reaction was "now we're not & we don't agree with what you're saying & we think you actually have the definition of sexist wrong etc..." but... we figured that we were making a mistake in doing man/woman only because there really was no good reason to limit it to that. That's it.

As far as the equipment goes - I'll let our character artist reply to that. I had a long chat with him last night and realized to my shame that I had forgotten something which makes the entire thing quite funny. He'll tell the tale better than I can, so wait for him to pop in.

Lar_q #461935 05/04/13 03:11 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Relax! Chill! Calm down!

We're not diluting anything - on the contrary. We have a very iterative culture at Larian & so it's not uncommon for us to change our minds all the way until the end. Drives people who work with us bananas but that's the way it is. I'm told it's not that uncommon in other successful studios, so maybe it'll even help us one day. The cool part of having an open mind to iteration is that we're open to new perspectives, and when this entire "you are sexists" thing started, our initial reaction was "now we're not & we don't agree with what you're saying & we think you actually have the definition of sexist wrong etc..." but... we figured that we were making a mistake in doing man/woman only because there really was no good reason to limit it to that. That's it.

As far as the equipment goes - I'll let our character artist reply to that. I had a long chat with him last night and realized to my shame that I had forgotten something which makes the entire thing quite funny. He'll tell the tale better than I can, so wait for him to pop in.

I'm looking forward to that. smile

WOOS
veteran
veteran
I've no problems with an EXTRA option to play with man/man, woman/man or woman/woman, totally no problem with, on the contrary wink
I'm a male gamer and if the option is in, I probably try ALL different options and I very like playing with a female character ! (so nice to "look" at ! :hihi: )

But I like most of playing man/woman because it seems to me more "balanced" in some way ... just my opinion wink

Edit:
Of course : this EXTRA option can improve the replayability

Last edited by Joram; 05/04/13 08:18 AM. Reason: see Edit

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #461958 05/04/13 10:06 AM
addict
addict
On the issue of genders ... a little side quest idea:

The teleporter incident

A classic. She touches a pyramid, he touches the same pyramid. Through some unforeseen disturbance in the pattern (strong magic currents nearby), their bodies switch after the teleporting. Player A now controls the character of Player B and vice versa. Quest outline: get your own body back. smile

Might need to implement safeguards against abuse like destroying items etc, but it could be fun for a time if you play Co-Op with a friend -- don't know if it would make sense in single player, but I guess in that case a simple forced personality switch instead of body switch could do the trick where applicable.

Arhu #461961 05/04/13 10:22 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Arhu

The teleporter incident

A classic. She touches a pyramid, he touches the same pyramid. Through some unforeseen disturbance in the pattern (strong magic currents nearby), their bodies switch after the teleporting. Player A now controls the character of Player B and vice versa. Quest outline: get your own body back. smile

Might need to implement safeguards against abuse like destroying items etc, but it could be fun for a time if you play Co-Op with a friend -- don't know if it would make sense in single player, but I guess in that case a simple forced personality switch instead of body switch could do the trick where applicable.

Hahah! That's pretty creative, actually. As I was reading through it I was thinking that the two characters would morph into one grotesque mutant lmao.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
veteran
veteran
I think that wouldn't work so well, actually. Maybe in a less free-form RPG, where you were restricted in what you could do.

veteran
veteran
Fun ! smile

Or make from this an easter egg?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #461975 05/04/13 12:37 PM
old hand
old hand
Hum. What-ever happens lets please be gentle and remember to have fun and if we have to express a dislike do so gently and softly and if the developers can they will try to accommodate but if in the end they cannot then understand that maybe it just didn't work out this time but it might next time.
-
I (my preference not nec yours) rather have a game with a guy and a gal and lots of subtle humour then have the developers allow for guy/guy, gal/gal and see the humour lost (naturally the best of the world is to keep the humour and please the people but sometimes it just doesnt' happen). Also if you get guy/guy but one of the guys have to wear a skirt because they don't have time to change the skirt into another pair of pants will you be upset ?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Rod Lightning
As I was reading through it I was thinking that the two characters would morph into one grotesque mutant lmao.

Same here, lol laugh

Arhu #461979 05/04/13 01:07 PM
veteran
veteran

The teleporter incident

Classic, altho without actual voiceover it won't be so funny. Btw, this can be done via Editor as custom quest.

Arhu #461981 05/04/13 01:11 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D

The teleporter incident

This is the whole argument for an entire game! It will be even better with a complex quest and it will be more funny if they have also their gender changed: the man explored “him(her)self” while girl is yelling to him “Do not touch my body, pervert!!!” hehe!

If the game had only 1 character and you would have to fully emerge into that one character.. like nowadays mmorpg's etc.. and if you then dont have the choice to be a man instead of a woman.. sure.. i would hate it.

But at an actionrpg like this? thats like hating having a female in your party at final fantasy..
tbh i could not care less :P

Just leave the woman behind if you are really really hating it.. but i really cant find a reason why having a female in your party would be a big problem..

and thats coming from someone who actually returned some free max level characters i got in WoW (long time ago.. quit with that already) because they were female and i simply could not play them :P

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
Lar_q #462098 06/04/13 04:53 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I feel like posting in this thread is now rather redundant. The following says all I need to know for the time being...

No need to fight - if the KS is successful we'll introduce gender recognition & so cater for man/man, man/woman, woman/woman. It will for sure add to our workload but that's why we're doing the Kickstarter. And we'll take care not to dumb things down. As a matter of fact, we're seeking exactly the opposite smile

Originally Posted by LordCrash
Thanks for the clarification, Larian.

It's always good to have more freedom and options, but I wouldn't have a problem with playing with a male and a female character or even only with a female character in co-op. wink

Personally, I think it could hurt some other goals/intentions if you try to go away from the male-female combination of your original concept. I would prefer a dialogue system with NPCs that depend on whether the female or the male character is talking to a certain NPC. And I really fear that the overall story will suffer by breaking up the male-female combination.

So, please only allow other combinations in the game if it's not at the costs of other important parts of the game. smile

Relax! Chill! Calm down!

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Lar_q #462120 07/04/13 12:14 AM
old hand
old hand
The cool part of having an open mind to iteration is that we're open to new perspectives, and when this entire "you are sexists" thing started, our initial reaction was "now we're not & we don't agree with what you're saying & we think you actually have the definition of sexist wrong etc..." but... we figured that we were making a mistake in doing man/woman only because there really was no good reason to limit it to that. That's it.

So does this mean that the game cover will be changed or will the man/woman playthrough be considered "canon"?

virumor #462121 07/04/13 12:52 AM
veteran
veteran
I think the existing game cover ( or a version with a slightly more clothed Scarlett) is fine.

Stabbey #462140 07/04/13 02:22 PM
old hand
old hand
Doesn't anyone remember the cover-art of the first game?

[Linked Image]

Wasn't a problem back then.

Last edited by Demonic; 07/04/13 02:28 PM.
Demonic #462142 07/04/13 03:26 PM
veteran
veteran
I think part of the reason why it’s becoming more of a big deal is because of stuff like this:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games
Just proposing this project kicked off a huge firestorm of misogyny for inexplicable, stupid reasons.

“It’s always been done like that before.” Is a really weak argument. Well, if the straight guy thinks the treatment of women is okay, then I guess there’s no problem! (Spoiler: I am also a straight guy.)

Gaming has really treated women as afterthoughts, only good for sexy cover art and such for a long time. The demographics of game players have changed from “almost entirely men”. The percentage of gamers who are women are close to 50% by now, but the marketing hasn’t caught up.

Larian has been okay in terms of gender roles before. In Divine Divinity, General Alix was head of the Ducal army, 3/5 of the Black Ring bosses were women. In Divinity 2 Rhode was the most powerful Dragon Slayer, some of the Black Ring generals were women, the final boss was a woman. But there are also questionable things too. Look at this interview about Dragon Commander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UBGtRTjIT6Y#t=807s
Catherine is a general, who used to be a former queen. She is described as a feminist, a champion for equal gender rights... and her concept art, she’s wearing skintight leather with a goddamn cleavage window. Come on, now.

Me, personally, I don’t mind the Original Sin box art. Maybe I’m part of the problem too. But do you know what? I would buy that game even if the box art had her in unflattering plate mail. There have been several comments along the lines, “I know someone who REFUSES to buy the game because of the girl’s ridiculous outfit.” I have no problem if Larian changes the box art to make her outfit look more combat-practical, especially if that means it will get more people to buy the game (and support the Kickstarter).

Do YOU have any GOOD reasons why not to change the art?

Stabbey #462143 07/04/13 03:56 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Update in KS. You can play as man/man, woman/woman, man/woman.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/447872#comments

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
henryv #462145 07/04/13 04:36 PM
I would buy the game even if they used a naked woman as boxart XD

or maybe that would be the reason to buy it..

uhm.. anyway :P

nice to hear they are giving everyone the options they want laugh

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
I shall be playing woman/woman.

AWWWWWW yeah!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard