Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Luuin

Probably because they assume you need the AP to actually walk up to the target. Having a 3ap Fireball isn't as punishing since you're at range already.

Having a 3 AP Fireball isn't punishing because there are many great 1 AP cost AoE magic skills, so no one picks it up.
E.g. Spontaneous Combustion, Winter Blast, and Hail Strike.

journeyman
journeyman
TBH the core of the problem lies in the new "less-AP-per-turn" system...
There is simply no way of gradually increase/decrease AP costs, like say 1,2,3,4,5... It just goes discrete 1-2-3, not 1.5 and 2.5 (which would obviously would be stupid).

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
So, crippling strike is more or less balanced now.

Rage I would say is still OP as long as you can 1 turn enemies with it. If higher difficulties have much higher health for mobs maybe it would be not as OP there.

Battering ram is still way too good for 1 AP. Should be 2 AP imo.

1h did become bit better with magic def on shields, but x2 skill damage of 2h is still unchallenged.
I don't see a way of making it balanced without altering AP costs or bringing 1h and 2h closer together.

E.g. Make 2h do only 30-50% more damage than 1h and reduce autoattack cost for 2h to 1. This way you're trading extra HP from shield for 30-50% damage buff. I'd say 50% would be ok for starters. (offhand damage is also reduced to 50%). Not sure how open Larian is to such serious changes, but the current system is inherently unbalanced.

Warlord needs to be capped at 1/turn. 2 extra AP per turn is still super powerful. Currently it's way too good for any kind of damage dealer.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Single handed attacks only cost 1 AP? Pretty sure my sword-and-board warrior always spent 2 AP when swinging that axe of his.

Warlord is still quite strong, but there will always be stronger and weaker traits. The limit of 1/round sounds good.

Last edited by Kelsier; 26/10/16 06:25 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kelsier
Single handed attacks only cost 1 AP? Pretty sure my sword-and-board warrior always spent 2 AP when swinging that axe of his.

Afaik, single attacks cost 1 AP only when they are carried with small weapons (daggers), otherwise it's still 2 ap per hit.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by GrumpyMcGrump

Afaik, single attacks cost 1 AP only when they are carried with small weapons (daggers), otherwise it's still 2 ap per hit.

That doesn't seem balanced at all. All 1-hander should be 1AP due to greatly inferior damage compared to 2H attacks.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by GrumpyMcGrump

No, single handed cost 1 AP, while having nothing equiped in secondary slot.
Shield or dual wield, add 1 AP cost.

Last edited by Darkhain; 26/10/16 06:51 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
So either they need to buff shields or make it 1AP for shields. That could be a way to balance things out as well.

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Ah yes, shields need to go down to 1 AP auto as well in my suggestion.

1h + empty should either not be a thing or maybe give a dodge bonus for empty offhand so that it's viable for finesse hybrids or smth.

Either both auto and skills need to cost the same across all styles or AP cost should change for skills as well when using 2h/dw. Otherwise it will never be balanced imo.

old hand
old hand
I'm fine with sword and board being 2 AP. It gives one-handed with no off-hand item a niche of versatility, though both one-handed with no offhand and sword and board need buffs to compete with two handed or DW.

Single-handed could have unique skills. Maybe stuff like "Duelist" where you counterattack, or grapple abilities. Stuff where you use your free hand to do things that would be impossible with both hands occupied, or abilities that require a great deal of accuracy and focus. Maybe it could just grant a slight accuracy and/or damage bonus (perhaps just for abilities), not so much to equal two-handed or DW, but to make them not totally suck when you use abilities.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Not sure if there's an aggro system or not (doesn't seem like it at the moment), but increasing enemies likelihood to attack shield users could help.

The other option is to do something to nerf two-hander defence. Our parties warrior at the moment uses a two-hander, he's the only melee and he's never felt under threat of dying at all really. The shield doesn't do enough to justify the massive loss of damage compared to two-handers.

The only other way I could see to make shields useful is if you play a spell-casting melee (instead of a flat warrior) for that extra bit of defence (and still allowing you to dump points into intel)? But I've yet to try that out.

enthusiast
enthusiast
One way to balance both 2H damage output and the weakness of sword and board would be to reduce how much damage Warfare abilities get from weapon damage, increase how much they get from Strength, and add a flat, base amount. That would increase the ability damage of sword & boarders while decreasing ability damage of 2Hers, while not affecting normal attack damage (which should be skewed in favor of 2Hers).

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by Darxim
One way to balance both 2H damage output and the weakness of sword and board would be to reduce how much damage Warfare abilities get from weapon damage, increase how much they get from Strength, and add a flat, base amount. That would increase the ability damage of sword & boarders while decreasing ability damage of 2Hers, while not affecting normal attack damage (which should be skewed in favor of 2Hers).

Think this is a nice suggestion, although it would kill INT warfare hybrids with staff. Maybe select stat for bonus damage depending on weapon?

Last edited by MadDemiurg; 31/10/16 12:13 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by MadDemiurg

Think this is a nice suggestion, although it would kill INT warfare hybrids with staff.

Indeed, and it's already poor to use an Int Warfare build with a staff anyway. Stalves have lower base damage than Str 2 handers and Warfare abilities only scale off of Strength, so it loses damage on 2 fronts.

Last edited by error3; 31/10/16 12:49 AM.
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M
Originally Posted by error3

Think this is a nice suggestion, although it would kill INT warfare hybrids with staff.

Indeed, and it's already poor to use an Int Warfare build with a staff anyway. Stalves have lower base damage than Str 2 handers and Warfare abilities only scale off of Strength, so it loses damage on 2 fronts.

Think most warfare skills are based off weapon damage atm, although I might be wrong. Battle stomp is a STR based spell, but flurry is just 5 regular attacks and battering ram/crippling strike are x% weapon damage. I haven't tested it fully so I might be wrong here. Staves indeed do less damage, especially compared to hammers (I think hammers are way better than all other 2h str weapons for no good reason), but that's what makes it balanced but still viable hybrid. You do less damage, but you still get some powerful melee moves w/o having to max STR and can be a proper spellcaster at the same time. If you want more damage you still need a STR build though. If INT staves warfare did same damage as STR warfare it would be OP. But gutting it completely is also bad, cause it's a fun option that should be viable imo.

enthusiast
enthusiast

Think most warfare skills are based off weapon damage atm, although I might be wrong.

You're right. The Warfare skills that are based off of the weapon use the damage the weapon deals, and then scale up additionally from Strength. I meant that Strength was the only attribute that scaled up Warfare abilities in addition to the regular attack's damage. Because of this, if your staff hits hard, your warfare abilities will hit as-hard. Str users will have their Warfare abilities hit harder than standard attacks though.

I'm sure playing a hybrid is viable (playing any way is viable at the moment), but I don't think it's optimal.
Melee characters generally have damage boosted by a weapon Combat Ability (e.g. 2H, dual wield, etc.), and spells will be boosted by Huntsman or Pyrokinetics. The only viable Combat Ability overlap that boosts both is if one stacks Pyrokinetics and always uses a Fire Staff and Fire Spells. Even in this case, the lower weapon damage of the staff and lack of stat scaling on the Warfare abilities will hurt (compared with standard Str 2H). The character won't be any worse off at shooting spells at least, but you'd still have spent some slots on the Warfare skills, and any time you actually have to use them it'll be strictly worse than what a Str user could do.
I think one can do it, but I don't think it's particularly rewarding. I'd rather just bring a Fire Wand in this case, ditch the Melee abilities, and try to assume high-ground for the damage boost and safer distance.
I guess I'm wondering, what are the advantages of Staff melee over a standard mage or standard Str melee?

Last edited by error3; 01/11/16 02:30 AM.
M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M

Think most warfare skills are based off weapon damage atm, although I might be wrong.

You're right. The Warfare skills that are based off of the weapon use the damage the weapon deals, and then scale up additionally from Strength. I meant that Strength was the only attribute that scaled up Warfare abilities in addition to the regular attack's damage. Because of this, if your staff hits hard, your warfare abilities will hit as-hard. Str users will have their Warfare abilities hit harder than standard attacks though.

I'm sure playing a hybrid is viable (playing any way is viable at the moment), but I don't think it's optimal.
Melee characters generally have damage boosted by a weapon Combat Ability (e.g. 2H, dual wield, etc.), and spells will be boosted by Huntsman or Pyrokinetics. The only viable Combat Ability overlap that boosts both is if one stacks Pyrokinetics and always uses a Fire Staff and Fire Spells. Even in this case, the lower weapon damage of the staff and lack of stat scaling on the Warfare abilities will hurt (compared with standard Str 2H). The character won't be any worse off at shooting spells at least, but you'd still have spent some slots on the Warfare skills, and any time you actually have to use them it'll be strictly worse than what a Str user could do.
I think one can do it, but I don't think it's particularly rewarding. I'd rather just bring a Fire Wand in this case, ditch the Melee abilities, and try to assume high-ground for the damage boost and safer distance.
I guess I'm wondering, what are the advantages of Staff melee over a standard mage or standard Str melee?

I did some tests and it actually got me thinking.

You're right about warfare abilities based off weapon damage getting additional scaling from STR. But I think it might be the reason of the ridiculous damage they do. Thing is, you get the attribute bonus TWICE. STR increases the base damage of the weapon which is then used to determine the ability damage which is then AGAIN scaled by STR. Seems clearly broken to me, I'm probably going to make a separate suggestion about that.

E.g. on character creation 12 STR knight 22-26 damage with crippling blow (feels pretty balanced).

14 STR - 36-44...

Sooo, the actual damage bonus is 1.3*1.3 = 1.69. 26*1.69 = 44. Seems legit (and broken/bugged). Rogue skills work the same, but somehow get worse scaling for whatever reason btw...

As for INT staff warfare, well, yes, you do less damage than 2h, but:
-You might want to play a staff wielding jedi
-Elemental damage has certain advantages, get electric staff + rain for example
-Flurry + staff is probably still one of the best single target magic damage abilities, although you'll need both high STR and INT to maximize it currently. If you're gonna use mage CC might as well focus on doing magic damage to destroy magic armour

Staves do benefit from 2h skill btw...

Last edited by MadDemiurg; 01/11/16 03:36 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

You're right about warfare abilities based off weapon damage getting additional scaling from STR. But I think it might be the reason of the ridiculous damage they do. Thing is, you get the attribute bonus TWICE. STR increases the base damage of the weapon which is then used to determine the ability damage which is then AGAIN scaled by STR. Seems clearly broken to me, I'm probably going to make a separate suggestion about that.

Absolutely, you nailed it. If the scaling was just from the weapon (perhaps with a fixed % modifier) it would be a lot more intuitive, and the schools wouldn't be so unnecessarily restrictive.

-Elemental damage has certain advantages, get electric staff + rain for example

This sounds like a recipe to accidentally stun yourself. Having to be next to the AoE is more of a drawback. Although the Phoenix Dive pairing from Warfare could make this work for Fire and Fire-triggered effects.

Staves do benefit from 2h skill btw...

Right, but if you stack the 2H skill it won't buff any of your spells. I'm just saying options for boosting weapon attacks and spells simultaneously are slim, basically just Pyrokinetics. Also, if one were only stacking 2H then spells would be very weak compared to someone who had stacked Huntsman instead. It would make the whole hybrid hard to justify. One can already go standard Str Warrior and bring a few elemental spells for CC and utility. Trying to have damage boosted in 2 directions at once is what weakens a character, I think.

Last edited by error3; 01/11/16 03:52 AM.
old hand
old hand
It's interesting issue that strength basically boosts warfare ability damage twice. It makes sense in one hand, that strength would improve warfare abilities, but too bad there isn't a way for strength to improve warfare abilities in a different way than just +dmg, since added damage on weapons already improves that.

Without CC application chance scaling up with strength, I'm not sure what else they could add. Increased range? Steps on huntsman a bit, but that's the only reasonably scalable attribute I can think of besides damage.

Would just be nice if warfare abilities could be a little viable with spears, for example.

M
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
M

Right, but if you stack the 2H skill it won't buff any of your spells. I'm just saying options for boosting weapon attacks and spells simultaneously are slim, basically just Pyrokinetics. Also, if one were only stacking 2H then spells would be very weak compared to someone who had stacked Huntsman instead. It would make the whole hybrid hard to justify. One can already go standard Str Warrior and bring a few elemental spells for CC and utility. Trying to have damage boosted in 2 directions at once is what weakens a character, I think.

Well, if you had all of the advantages of each class in a hybrid it would be OP. The advantages of such hybrid imo are:

-Good synergy with mage oriented party cause they attack the same defence
-Potentially quite high single target magic damage from flurry
-Mobility skills that mages lack otherwise

This comes at a cost of having to invest in skills that have bit less synergy. You'll still be not that far behind and elevation bonuses are quite situational anyway. And I'm ok with it not being the most optimal thing as long as it doesn't suck entirely.

Last edited by MadDemiurg; 01/11/16 09:51 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard