Level 5 Needed!

Let's make it happen!

M
mk1 Offline
stranger
stranger
M
Agree, but not for act 1.
Would be to boring and eventually force the player to explore the regions of act 1 in a certain order.

Moreover, playing with a rather weak party and being short of ressources forces the player (me) to find other ways to be successful, including not avoiding the fights of course.

BG3 has a sophisticated game mechanic - which would be unnecessary and futile when playing with an overpowered party.

"You can now throw objects or characters that weigh up to three times your Strength ability score" might be such a rule to make it too easy - though maybe fun at the first glance and first playthrough.
Also having too many actions per turn makes the game somewhat too boring, as if you had a fountain with speed potion.
(shudder)

Last edited by mk1; 26/02/22 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mk1
Agree, but not for act 1.
Would be to boring and eventually force the player to explore the regions of act 1 in a certain order.

Moreover, playing with a rather weak party and being short of ressources forces the player (me) to find other ways to be successful, including not avoiding the fights of course.

BG3 has a sophisticated game mechanic - which would be unnecessary and futile when playing with an overpowered party.

"You can now throw objects or characters that weigh up to three times your Strength ability score" might be such a rule to make it too easy - though maybe fun at the first glance and first playthrough.
Also having too many actions per turn makes the game somewhat too boring, as if you had a fountain with speed potion.
(shudder)
EA includes act 1 only. so either in act 1 or full release. maybe lvl 5 would unlock if the shadowlands are open for testing.

veteran
veteran
I believe there is litteraly nothing stopping Larian to give us level 5 now (i mean if it is ready, obviously) for testing purposes ...
And set it for Act II. for full release. laugh

Same goes for every level BTW. wink
Now when i read it ... same goes for litteraly everything. laugh

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 26/02/22 07:28 PM.

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
veteran
Online Content
veteran
I think we should get level 5 at some point during EA because level 5 is when most classes really come into their own. More attacks, more abilities, thing can start to feel genuinely different at that point. Plus I cannot be convinced that we as players can't reach level 5 in act 1. I've seen people talk about killing everything in the Nautiloid and already being at level 3 or something, but even me just playing through relatively normally, I get to level 4 well before the underdark section and probably would hit level 5 before the underdark as well if you do everything on the surface first.

Regarding the throw mechanic, if hitting level 5 makes that mechanic unnecessary, or if the mechanic breaks at level 5, then it's a bad mechanic. Also if the game becomes boring when you hit the point where a lot of folks seem to think the tabletop version becomes really interesting, then they've designed things badly.

A
addict
addict
A
level 5 where the game gets more fun i think since some classes can start getting 2 actions and with higher level gear and abilities. i would definitely say larian wouldn't give us that not until the game launches. sadly that will be another year 2023.

i'm more concern into how much fun will the game be and the pacing? don't think they are aiming for a high level campaign, i'm not even sure what will be the level cap. and by judging on that, are there official target on how many chapters will there be in bg3? if it's just 3 chapters.. then what they have released are actually 33% of the game. how many hours did one clock for just chapter 1? i only completed first EA and then shelved it.

veteran
veteran
Honestly to me it seems like Larian is kinda struggling with implementation of Extra Attack themselves. :-/

I mean, it seems quite obvious with Githyanki (didnt honestly noticed with Duergars) ...
Instead using an action to regular "attack" and then repeat the same without the cost ... they were given "Extra Action" resource allowing them to do two regular actions in single turn ... while that is often much more powerfull, since they can cast (and often do) two different spells or cast a CC spell and then attack, or using special Larian-Weapon abilities and then attack again (here i have litteraly no idea if that should be allowed) ...
It also have its weak sides, when Beretha as a Fighter use Action Surge and regain only Action, but not Extra Action ... therefore she is no longer able to attack twice. :-/

So ...
My two cents on topic why we still didnt get level 5 goes for tip: "Bcs they didnt yet figure out how to do it."

Here is some documentation:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RagnarokCzD; 27/02/22 09:59 AM.

old hand
old hand
They put base ground rules so people have stuff to look forward to after launch, why we are not going into act 2.

Truthfully this kind of topic keeps cropping up every so often, everyone keeps wanting more and more shit, truthfully you don't even need it.

BTW I could use the most common answer for the why and apply it to everything: I want act 2 for testing, I want act 3 for testing, I want all races for testing. lol this is dumb, just have patience for launch.

V
Van'tal
Unregistered
Van'tal
Unregistered
V
Originally Posted by fallenj
They put base ground rules so people have stuff to look forward to after launch, why we are not going into act 2.

Truthfully this kind of topic keeps cropping up every so often, everyone keeps wanting more and more shit, truthfully you don't even need it.

BTW I could use the most common answer for the why and apply it to everything: I want act 2 for testing, I want act 3 for testing, I want all races for testing. lol this is dumb, just have patience for launch.

Just blow them up with Meta-Powder..."Cheese Whiz!"

Just kidding, it was a nice move! ...just incredibly spoiler.

Patience is the name of the game. I am looking to see how they will implement a lot of things, such as 5th level invocations.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Honestly to me it seems like Larian is kinda struggling with implementation of Extra Attack themselves. :-/ [...]
This is exactly why level 5 needs to be in EA - so players can give feedback on its implementation. If it isn't added until Full Release, then Extra Attack (and more level 5 features) will be some combination of: buggy, unintuitive, frustrating, over/underpowered, or allowing unintended actions.

A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by RagnarokCzD
Honestly to me it seems like Larian is kinda struggling with implementation of Extra Attack themselves. :-/

I mean, it seems quite obvious with Githyanki (didnt honestly noticed with Duergars) ...
Instead using an action to regular "attack" and then repeat the same without the cost ... they were given "Extra Action" resource allowing them to do two regular actions in single turn ... while that is often much more powerfull, since they can cast (and often do) two different spells or cast a CC spell and then attack, or using special Larian-Weapon abilities and then attack again (here i have litteraly no idea if that should be allowed) ...
It also have its weak sides, when Beretha as a Fighter use Action Surge and regain only Action, but not Extra Action ... therefore she is no longer able to attack twice. :-/

So ...
My two cents on topic why we still didnt get level 5 goes for tip: "Bcs they didnt yet figure out how to do it."

Here is some documentation:

if they have yet to figure how to do it that's really worrying. not to mention there are no reactions implemented yet. but i don't see much complains or mentioned anywhere on these. perhaps many who were playing the game weren't even aware of the rules (like myself). i start learning the rules though but feels let down that it seems like it's not a true dnd5e game that stick to the ruleset.

addict
addict
To be honest, I think the EA isn’t about us testing the game implementations. I think it’s more about how the game handles the many different hardware/software setups. They have internal testers for balance, etc. I think this bares out in the fact that there’s almost no comments from them. They get their metrics (that they need from us) through electronic means. On occasions they do hear our wants, but they have their design own specs and vision.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by avahZ Darkwood
To be honest, I think the EA isn’t about us testing the game implementations. I think it’s more about how the game handles the many different hardware/software setups. They have internal testers for balance, etc. I think this bares out in the fact that there’s almost no comments from them. They get their metrics (that they need from us) through electronic means. On occasions they do hear our wants, but they have their design own specs and vision.
Sure, they do have internal testers for balance. But much much fewer, and us EA players can also comment on enjoyability.

Larian testers presumably okay'ed the High Ground and Backstab Advantage, the old implementation of the Frightened condition (I got responses from Larian devs saying that they were perfectly fine with its old implementation and had no intention to change it), the cantrip-created surfaces, etc. It was only when the game was released and many players reported that these mechanics were overwhelming to gameplay and disliked that they were changed.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
This is exactly why level 5 needs to be in EA - so players can give feedback on its implementation.
Agreed ...
I just believe that corect order is: First invent ... then test. laugh

IF (and this is just my own theory based on what i see on 5lvl NPCs) they didnt invent it yet, or they arent satisfied with this hot needle half-solutions they use ... then there is nothing for us to test.

I mean ...
We are in EA for more than a year (and half? not sure) ... that allone probably gave them enough isight to know how people react on half-done and placeholders mechanics.
That said ... i know we just get half-done and placeholder fog of war. laugh
But if im right here (and i realize that alone is HUGE if) probably somebody in Larian have seen it and thought "this isnt exactly what we had in mind YET, but its good enough to show as work in progress" ... someone else then probably could look at reactions and extra attack mechanics and thought something like "nobody can ever see this". laugh

And even tho they multiple times repeated during PFH that Fog of War is still worked on, and that it is just first atempt, and that it will work better when released ...
Look how many topics and mentions that mechanic get. :-/

Can you imagine that amount of negative feedback after we would simply get another action on level 5??? laugh

Originally Posted by mrfuji3
If it isn't added until Full Release, then Extra Attack (and more level 5 features) will be some combination of: buggy, unintuitive, frustrating, over/underpowered, or allowing unintended actions.
Again agreed ... that would be worst (even worse) case scenario. :-/

I really hope they dont get that horrible idea to release before basic mechanics like this and reactions (wich i believe are hold back just bcs Larian is unwilling to leave their comfort zone) will be polished to perfection.

---

Originally Posted by Archaven
if they have yet to figure how to do it that's really worrying.
A little ... but we still have at least year (personaly i believe more like 2 ... since i doubt it will be Q1 2023) that should be enough time ... hopefully.
And if not, they can allways push it back even more.

Question is if someone is even working on it ...
I mean if (and again we dont know, so i can only gues) their roadmap is something like:
Classes > level 5 > reactions ... (i know, its simplified as fuck but you get me)

Then there is no reason for them to even think about Extra Attack until they implement all classes, bcs nobody will ever seen it anyway.
Also (and this is a little overstepping boundaries i know), there is a possibility that some clever moder will come with elegant solution for them. laugh

not to mention there are no reactions implemented yet.
That is not exactly true ... we have "some kind of reactions" since the day 1 ...
They just come with so many problems, it was imediatly rejected by many people ...

but i don't see much complains or mentioned anywhere on these.
I would say more like "not anymore" ... a year back almost every topic was talking about reactions, and in almost every PFH Swen ensured us that they ARE working on some way to implement reactions ...
Last time i have heard mention them specificaly was Patch 6 PFH.

If i recall corectly Swen specificly told us that they dont want to make reactions like they are in Solasta bcs they are affraid it would prolong the combat wich is allready quite long ... many people on forum expressed disagreement with such statement (after all, if you are refusing or accepting reactions ... you have at least something to do during enemy turns laugh ) but they seems to made their minds here.

So if i had to gues, if someone is working on it, that person is probably trying to find some mid-ground solution so you dont spend all your spellslots during two rounds ... but on the other hand you dont need to confrim every AoO you may use. :-/
Personaly i believe i have allready found the solution, but since it didnt get much possitive reactions, i gues my idea was not as ideal as i thought. laugh

apprentice
apprentice
Sadly won't happen. Larian scammed the EA to milk funding.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard