Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
W
Well of course anything would be better, but we shouldn't have to settle for band aids on an engine that is broken.

B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by williams85
Well of course anything would be better, but we shouldn't have to settle for band aids on an engine that is broken.

I agree with your position here. Larian bragged about all the verticality in their game only to deliver a sub-par fly spell.

addict
addict
you mean jump...

veteran
veteran
There is no excuse to not have hovering in a AAA title when an indie D&D game has it.

Why implement Fly at all if it's just another Jump?

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by 1varangian
My guess would be some kind of limitation of their pathfinding algorithm, it is quite a lot of work to make it work for not a lot of payoff in the case of BG3.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by snowram
My guess would be some kind of limitation of their pathfinding algorithm, it is quite a lot of work to make it work for not a lot of payoff in the case of BG3.
They could have saved themselves the embarrassment and not implemented Fly at all. But they chose to underline a glaring weakness of their AAA engine. While in Solasta you can actually fly and climb walls.

S
old hand
old hand
S
Originally Posted by snowram
They could have saved themselves the embarrassment and not implemented Fly at all. But they chose to underline a glaring weakness of their AAA engine. While in Solasta you can actually fly and climb walls.
Solasta is grid based, which makes it infinitely easier to implement a fly spell for. Pathfinding for grid based system is pretty much a solved problem thanks to algorithms like A*.

veteran
veteran
It is jump with longer reach, and doesn’t consume bonus actions (do flying enemies ignore surfaces like in D:OS2?). It has value. Not sure if it is something I will be using, but I can see myself using it. It might not be an ideal implementation, but it is an implementation. Outside Solasta, I can’t think of any other top down RPG that could do it better.

A
addict
addict
A
the fly spell is so bad!. it's not working as in solasta. character with flight spell supposingly should be able to levitate and not walk on lava. is this some kind of a joke? what's the decision that larian is implementing it this way?

M
M
It doesn't even prevent you from being shoved into a chasm, so it is really bad. But I wonder what havoc it will play on the already finnicky camera if you can actually change your z-position with flight.

Last edited by MarcAbaddon; 21/08/23 12:28 PM.
veteran
veteran
Spiritual Weapon and flying companions like the Raven often seem to have issues when changing elevation or for avoiding surfaces. I played as a Storm Sorceror so I was using "fly" constantly, but everything is still pegged to the ground plane anytime movement is involved.

Using fly and misty step a lot you can also see where various ledges and outcroppings in the environments are just cosmetic and can't actually be reached. I had the same thing happen where I was pushed to my death over chasm despite being in flight and with feather fall. There are also some perma clouds that can't be blown away with the Storm sorcerors other trick spell, like in the Nere scene. I also tried to use create water and the hails sleet ice storm combos but again the electrified surfaces on the ground plane throw a wrench in it.

old hand
old hand
Just take fly with astral parasite. Don't waste spell slots.

veteran
veteran
The duration nerf is really weird. Why?? It also causes indirect problems. 10 turns is so short you have to basically be in turn based mode so you don't waste any of it. You then find it impossible to reach places because you don't have enough movement in a turn. And you can't fly half way and hover.

Why did they even bother putting flying in the game if it's mechanically exactly the same as jumping plus feather fall? And not being able to avoid melee is half it's usefulness lost.

So yea, we really need hovering and the proper duration. Or remove the spell.

Last edited by 1varangian; 21/08/23 06:21 PM.
A
addict
addict
A
The duration nerf is really weird. Why?? It also causes indirect problems. 10 turns is so short you have to basically be in turn based mode so you don't waste any of it. You then find it impossible to reach places because you don't have enough movement in a turn. And you can't fly half way and hover.

Why did they even bother putting flying in the game if it's mechanically exactly the same as jumping plus feather fall? And not being able to avoid melee is half it's usefulness lost.

solasta was so awesome they implemented the fly spell so well!. larian has it all wrong!.. but sure i think they are getting away with all those success and praises and everyone forget the bad side on what they've done.

old hand
old hand
Transmutation wizards can also fly for 5 turns, it isnt long but also doesn't use up spell slots.

Came in useful when I took Gale into Razamith's tower for all the plotline stuff and arcana checks.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 23/08/23 03:58 PM.
R
enthusiast
enthusiast
R

Fly is the only way to complete the game at the moment so I'm glad it's in there. After they fix the bugs that it's the only way around it's still better than nothing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard