Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I don't care how many companions we have. If 70% of them are assholes, then that's 70% that are assholes. I'll take the dog food that has some variety over the steak that is all burnt.

Ha! Got you to eat dog food!

More steak for Kunta!

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxm_IWIsicZhxzj6qjmc67uwVcIL5jMI3m

Blackheifer
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Silver/
It's probably too early to judge. My long held hypothesis is this: the companions in Bg3 are plot hooks.

Every single one of them. They weren't designed to be liked, iconic, or even synergic. Their dislike of each other makes the party feel cramped at times. I'm not sure if this was the way to go, but I can't really know before finishing the game, can I?

That’s a fascinating hypothesis. I assume you mean the « origins » companions? The other dudes with tadpoles?

I had my suspicion that some of the companions were never meant to tag a long for the whole story… some of them clearly seem to be positioned as antagonists.

It might explain having 12 hirelings which whenever described a LOT of emphasis is placed on their role as companion replacements…

Last edited by Dolfanar; 21/07/23 06:37 PM.
stranger
stranger
Very detailed explanation. Thanks.

This gives another layer to game replayability which is already so huge.
In Wasteland 3 I liked for example; if you make the right character choices, you can use every character and skill to explore everything in the game with your party (mostly). In one playthrough

In Baldur's Gate 3, I also like how you won't be able to do that. Your party will never be that big so you will always be missing something.
Gives another dimension and leaves plenty of space for multiple playthroughs

B
old hand
old hand
B
My long held hypothesis is this: the companions in Bg3 are plot hooks.
Maybe, perhaps, could be. As hypotheses go, I like it.

Oh, imagine the uproar; the tears; the outcry; the wailing and the gnashing of teeth if, after spending most of your money on a bunch of chocolates and a box of flowers and spending all your spare time on the lovey-dovey romancing, suddenly - BOOM and your erstwhile sweetheart either shits in the nest and turns rogue or is killed by person or persons unknown. Deep joy.
aargh

Mind you, that will be nothing compared to what I will go through if they do a runner with the gear I gave them. laugh

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Zixy
Very detailed explanation. Thanks.

This gives another layer to game replayability which is already so huge.
In Wasteland 3 I liked for example; if you make the right character choices, you can use every character and skill to explore everything in the game with your party (mostly). In one playthrough

In Baldur's Gate 3, I also like how you won't be able to do that. Your party will never be that big so you will always be missing something.
Gives another dimension and leaves plenty of space for multiple playthroughs

100%. There was a thread maybe a month ago where this came up, and a few us described how in most games we tend to be completeist, and playing EA over and over has helped break that habit and get more properly into the roleplay. And clearly the full release version will be that experience on steroids

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Beechams
My long held hypothesis is this: the companions in Bg3 are plot hooks.
Maybe, perhaps, could be. As hypotheses go, I like it.

Oh, imagine the uproar; the tears; the outcry; the wailing and the gnashing of teeth if, after spending most of your money on a bunch of chocolates and a box of flowers and spending all your spare time on the lovey-dovey romancing, suddenly - BOOM and your erstwhile sweetheart either shits in the nest and turns rogue or is killed by person or persons unknown. Deep joy.
aargh

Mind you, that will be nothing compared to what I will go through if they do a runner with the gear I gave them. laugh
I'm telling you, in each playthrough Orin the Shapeshifter should be your lover.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Zerubbabel
I'm telling you, in each playthrough Orin the Shapeshifter should be your lover.

Not me. I'm a professional adventurer, I don't do office romances.

veteran
veteran

I'm still looking sideways at Scratch...

ETA: I mean Scratch as Orin, not Scratch as lover... I suppose that has to be clarified these days.

Last edited by JandK; 21/07/23 08:56 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast

If as Dark Urge you can't recruit her as your most fervent worshiper and a have a Dom-Sub relationship with her It's gonna be very disappointing.

Z
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Jhe'stil Kith'rak
Z
Originally Posted by Adgaroth

If as Dark Urge you can't recruit her as your most fervent worshiper and a have a Dom-Sub relationship with her It's gonna be very disappointing.

Remember the human (This is a forum for a video game):
enthusiast
enthusiast
*Spoiler Alert* It did xD

journeyman
journeyman
give me Helia >:(

N
old hand
old hand
N
What if Orin is the mindflayer from the intro cinematic?

We see there's mindflayer corpses in the ship before the gith attack. Maybe she infiltrated the nautiloid for some reason.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I think the Companion number is a good number, I just wish they would clarify how Hirelings would work cause I was under the impression they were customizable but then they all have set descriptions and backstories

C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by buttercup
I think the Companion number is a good number, I just wish they would clarify how Hirelings would work cause I was under the impression they were customizable but then they all have set descriptions and backstories

I believe the assumption most people are operating under is that once hired, they'll immediately respec them into what they actually want to have.

veteran
veteran
I was just thinking about all those poor hirelings who are going to lose an eye to Auntie Ethel.

Alas, Maddala Deadeye is about to earn her hireling name.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by ToLazy4Name
give me Helia >:(
Yes, give us Helia

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard