Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Regular Custom, I'm just recreating my Avernus character Azrael for the third time, a Zariel Tiefling that's physically based of off Dante and Vergil from Devil may Cry series, Notice how I said the third time, my first attempt was a monk (Charlatan background/Mister steal your girl/Giggity), didn't get very far, because Covid happened and half my party moved away during the pandemic, got as far as fighting Bhaal worshippers in the bathhouse, my second attempt was a paladin who never made it pass Character Creation (Flaming Fist background), 3rd times the charm, I guess I'll just multiclass in BG3.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Originally Posted by kanisatha
It will always be custom PC (option 1 in the poll), as I consider that to be what playing D&D is all about.

And more specifically a high-CHA paladin sworn to Lathander (don't care if Larian, for all their talk about letting us play what we want, won't officially allow this).
You could multiclass into 1 level of Cleric for Lathander, then go Paladin the rest of the way.

I will be playing a TAV first and also A Dark Urge, playing them at the same time and switching between the two to see how different they are and for the story I gave them. It will be a War Cleric Dwarf and Dragonborn GOO Warlock. I want to give my Dwarf an ideal partner in their head which is a female Dragonborn (I have my fetishes, don't judge) and I will make the Dark Urge that exact Dragonborn.

I even came up with this small background for this story and both of those characters

So my Dwarf is a War Cleric who was lost in his love for War, his devotion to slaughter and the only person to take him out of it was a certain Dragonborn girl, someone who was truly dear to his heart. He found her when she was all alone, she was alone all her life and was losing herself to violent urges that made her go berserk every so often. Meeting her made this Dwarf wake up from his devotion and start to feel something different. A need to help this poor soul with control over her need for murder and he grew truly attached to her and she did to him... and then he lost her in one battle where she went wild and turned into that Slayer looking monster from release trailer. In that form she also attacked the Dwarf who accidentally killed her as she tried to kill him. This made my Dwarf pretty much completely depressed and lost in dark thoughts wanting nothing, but vengeance, losing himself in the haze of violent thoughts, yearning for brutality of war to keep his mind off of his loss, of his failure... Or maybe because he wants to think that she is there on some battlefield and there is a chance he can still save her. But now he has to wake up and deal with his guilt, move forward. Do something better. But now it's like she is always there next to him. Looking over his shoulder. Watching him every time he closes his eyes.

While in the other timeline she got to live. She got to live while the Dwarf died sparing her life, not being able to kill her even as she tried to kill him. She got out of her haze of violence and turned back to normal, but once she saw what she did she fell into complete despair and now was completely alone, filled with sorrow her violent urges came back even stronger later on. She ended isolating herself again, she tried to seek help through learning and eventually looked for guidance in forbidden knowledge of great unknown. In the unreachable depths of space she found hope in eldritch beings that could possibly rid her off this violence and loneliness. She studied the secrets of Great old ones but in result she became more insane and the Gobbo got to her and made her into a violent monster again, forcing her to murder people against her will, tearing her apart as she was turning back into the monster she was before that took away that Dwarf, destroying her mind further. Now because of Tadpole she has the chance to rid herself from this. Somehow. She will find a way. And atone for all of her sins.

Two stories about people that lost each other. Each on ending up in this situation in different ways. With different stories as they were connected through violence and through loss of each other try to break their need for murder. Escape this violent cycle.

Kind of role play based around two stories from different timelines.

Also if that rumor about Daisy being now a
Guardian
(spoilered in case someone here doesn't want to know) is true then this Role Play may get even better as
my Dwarf's guardian in this case would be the girl that he he killed, protecting him as he tries to forgive himself for her death. Always there as she already forgave him and wants him to be safe.

addict
OP Offline
addict
For those interested in a more interesting/informative poll (imo), I have updated this one. The new version is over there.

I'm still reading this one, which has the advantage of displaying the results permanently once you have voted, but this one has only one question.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Sai the Elf
Originally Posted by kanisatha
It will always be custom PC (option 1 in the poll), as I consider that to be what playing D&D is all about.

And more specifically a high-CHA paladin sworn to Lathander (don't care if Larian, for all their talk about letting us play what we want, won't officially allow this).
You could multiclass into 1 level of Cleric for Lathander, then go Paladin the rest of the way.
Yeah I thought of this, but I hate the prospect of losing an ASI, which is a pretty big loss for a character. So then I'd have to do cleric 4/paladin 8, but that waters down the paladin quite a bit. frown

veteran
veteran
I want to be a male drow bard, probably lolth sworn, lore subclass and charlatan background.
I want to follow the good path but I have no problems to be very deceptive.
Whats better than fighting evil head on: First pretend to be their friend, then scout everything and sabotage them, then attack them when they do not expect it.
The best thing to stop evil is an even greater evil . . . ME wink

Now the question is custom char or The Dark Urge:
- pro custom: Many players want to play their own char, not somebody elses.
- Pro The Dark Urge: The hard path to redemption. You are from an evil race and have a murder hobo background but you try to be good anyway.
BG1+2 was about beeing a Bhaalspawm and trying to save the world anyway.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
Not to be overly glib, but I can't help myself. There is no real point in discussing what your 'first' character will be, since you can now change them as much as you want for 100gp.

apprentice
apprentice
The fact that you can respec doesn't mean that everybody will do that to drastically change their chars over and over.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Very tempted to build the very first Tav I rolled when the EA game released all those years ago. I still have screenshots so doable.

veteran
veteran
1.) I have read in another thread that The Dark Urge will do some things beyond your control. Like going somewhere and talking to someone leads to you killing something without a chance to say no. This is bad. I want control over my chars actions. Its fine my background, companions or NPC encourage me to do something but in the end I (the player) makes the choice. So regarding the char I presented before I will chose Tav the custom char.

2.) I will not multiclass or respec my char or any companion. The story of most companions is strongly linked to their class. Only when I completely mess up a char I may respec, but I think I know DnD 5E good enough to avoid this.
I do this because I want to, not because I have to. Everyone can play however they want.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
old hand
old hand
I was really looking forward to creating a custom character, but after the recent video from fextralife I finally decided to play The Dark Urge first. I want to explore the new illithid powers fully as a 'nothing to lose' kind of character and I think I'll stick to the Dragonborn in order to check out the new race. I am planning to go something like 75% murder hobo 25% pragmatic style. I think I'll only keep companions who I feel I won't be able killing (narratively), I wonder who those might be with the new writing.

I had a thought of going full murder hobo lone wolf style, but I think thats not great to lock yourself out of a big portion of gameplay which is companions with their distinct classes and features. I am also kind of a hoarder so having at least some pack mules around helps.

K
journeyman
journeyman
K
I am personally going to try an origin character first (probably Shadowheart). If I don't like how Larian handles origin characters as the MC, I will switch to a custom Tav. At least to me, if you value additional reactivity, then one of the pre-built origin characters is likely the best option.

I will admit that I found Shadowheart's Trickery Domain somewhat underwhelming during early access, but it sounds like we will be able to re-spec class and ability scores, so I am not too worried about her starting off with the Trickery Domain.

veteran
veteran
I just read an interview with Swen in a German gaming magazine and he basically confirmed that Durge (I won't call it anything else from now on, it'S just such a cute nick)

will start as an accomplished serial killer without memory and is tied to Bhaal

Nothing, that wasn't already speculated, but I put it in spoiler anyway.

I don't think, I play the Durge anytime soon, I don't like those kind of characters with that much baggage.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by fylimar
I just read an interview with Swen in a German gaming magazine and he basically confirmed that Durge (I won't call it anything else from now on, it'S just such a cute nick)

I don't think, I play the Durge anytime soon, I don't like those kind of characters with that much baggage.

Neat! Everything I thought in my initial reaction to the Durge (totally stealing that, thanks!) was wrong!

journeyman
journeyman
Tav

My Name is Regulator and im a Hoarder in the lands of Faerûn.

how much stuff is to much stuff, because its certainly not enough stuff.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by colinl8
Originally Posted by fylimar

Neat! Everything I thought in my initial reaction to the Durge (totally stealing that, thanks!) was wrong!
I didn't come up with Durge, I stole it too. I first saw it in the BG 3 thread on the BioWare forum of all things 😁

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
veteran
veteran
Durge ...
Thats clever!

Shame it dont contain Tav tho ... maybe we could use that as Second name?
Tav Durge. I like the sound of that. :3

I still dont understand why cant we change Race for our hirelings. frown
Lets us play Githyanki as racist as they trully are! frown
stranger
stranger
I actually haven't played that much of EA, only 15 hours. I do know that for the full release I want to make a custom character, veeery probably a Half Elf, probably named Maya. For the class I am still debating between Ranger Beastmaster or Open Hand/Four Elements Monk. I wish they'd show more of Monk, and especially those two subclasses, which are apparently not as popular as the Shadow one. frown Oh also I want to have a bit of Charisma, maybe 12 or so.

I kind of also really want to start an Oathbreaker. Tried it a bit in early access when the class first became available and liked it a lot, as I thought I would. And since I also want to see what Minthara's like in party at least once, I'll probably try a non-druid grove run on it. So a lloth drow or tiefling oathbreaker with two-handed sword played on the side up until after druid grove, then back to finishing the sorcerer playthrough.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
addict
addict
A lot will depend on when a mod to restore the original racial ASI is released, as I play human or half-elf for 95% of my characters.

If a mod takes too long or isn't possible, I guess a forest gnome ranger might work for me.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard