Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Inryu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Hello everyone! I'm new to the Forum, and for context, I love DnD but have only ever gotten to play one small campaign (the usual, time constraints), but I've watched quite a lot of campaigns on Youtube, so the extent of my DnD knowledge only goes that far.

My question is, do you guys think I'll enjoy playing through Baldur's Gate more if I go heavy on research and pre-planning on what to build my class? Or should I just do whatever and see where it goes? I've always liked the Arcane Trickster and I never really even got to become one during the only campaign I've played, but there's multi-classing everyone's doing/planning to do, and all the technicalities. I'm wondering if I won't get to fully appreciate the game if I don't do the same?

Additional question, for the game, are the dialogue options influenced by your character's race and/or class? Or is it just alignment, or not at all?

veteran
veteran
I mean it is D&D even if the game is softer around the edges than the tabletop. So it definitely would help to have a plan, but don't plan too much into the details because the game is quite different from 5e in a lot of ways...not least being that in the game you'll run into gear far more powerful and far more often than anything 5e would dare hand you. Some items will be so powerful that you'll want to change your build around them. You can respec at any time after you find and NPC which is pretty early in the game so don't be too afraid to experiment either. But if you've never played D&D at a table with other people it would be a good idea to learn some of the basics of how the classes and stats work as well as stuff like proficiencies.

And yes some of the dialogue options in the game will be affected by your race and class. So a Wizard for example will be able to tell what some magical runes on a console at the start of the game do while if you play another class you'll have to run around and find a key which opens a chest which has a written guide to help you figure out the runes. That kind of stuff.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 22/07/23 01:45 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would say as long as you understand 5e you're basically golden.

I wouldn't advise going too deep and detailed with the character pre-planing because there's quite a few things we don't know about the release build of the game so some classes and races might be a little different but some broad strokes should be fine.

At least that's my plan.

I
Inryu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
That's true, I was also wondering how the game was going to handle Equipment and make it interesting enough in video game version hahaha. Gotcha, I've only played one short campaign so the proficiencies and basics I have an ok handle of. I think I just got daunted looking at all the effort people were putting into thinking of multi-classing and stuff, maybe 'cause my DM on that short campaign didn't include that feature if I remember correctly.

Ohh thank you for that, that does make a lot of sense. RP-wise would some classes limit dialogue choices? Like some classes have a bit of a lower intelligence and wisdom or charisma. I'm assuming your reference at this point is Early Access, have you noticed anything like that so far?

(edit: this is in response to Darth_Trethon! sorry I think I should've quoted which message this was in reply to I'm also quite new to Forums and such T^T)

Last edited by Inryu; 22/07/23 01:55 AM.
veteran
veteran
Also one more thing...multiclassing in BG3 works very differently than in D&D 5e, and we don't have all the details so don't plan on multiclassing until we know everything.

We know the minimum stat requirements were removed from multiclassing, so a barbarian with intelligence of 8(penalty of -1 on all Intelligence rolls) can multiclass into Wiard...very VERY bad if you don't have a plan for it. But in the early game you can find a piece of headgear that increases your intelligence to 17(bonus of +3 on INT rolls) which can allow you to effectively multiclass into wizard. Additionally the multiclassing is also extremely strange...for example if you are a level 4 of another class/es and at level 5 you multiclass into wizard you will not be restricted to the stuff a level 1 wizard could pick. IF I understand this correctly at level 5 multiclassing into wizard you will receive two level three spell slots and be able to select two spells from levels 1-3 without all of the benefits of the lower wizard classes...though I think you still get some of the level 1 benefits like choosing a wizard subclass and maybe the cantrips you'd normally get at level 1...but very very not clear on the details right now. At any rate...don't plan on multiclassing yet because it works nothing like in D&D 5e and we don't have all the details.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 22/07/23 01:59 AM.
I
Inryu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
I would say as long as you understand 5e you're basically golden.

I wouldn't advise going too deep and detailed with the character pre-planing because there's quite a few things we don't know about the release build of the game so some classes and races might be a little different but some broad strokes should be fine.

At least that's my plan.

Thank you, that makes sense! And yea I just learned from Dark_Trethon that we can respec anyways so trying things out seems like an ok plan! If you've played Early Access, do you know if they give guidelines on multiclassing and like showing the things classes will learn if you progress?

I
Inryu Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
Also one more thing...multiclassing in BG3 works very differently than in D&D 5e, and we don't have all the details so don't plan on multiclassing until we know everything.

We know the minimum stat requirements were removed from multiclassing, so a barbarian with intelligence of 8(penalty of -1 on all Intelligence rolls) can multiclass into Wiard...very VERY bad if you don't have a plan for it. But in the early game you can find a piece of headgear that increases your intelligence to 17(bonus of +3 on INT rolls) which can allow you to effectively multiclass into wizard. Additionally the multiclassing is also extremely strange...for example if you are a level 4 of another class/es and at level 5 you multiclass into wizard you will not be restricted to the stuff a level 1 wizard could pick. IF I understand this correctly at level 5 multiclassing into wizard you will receive two level three spell slots and be able to select two spells from levels 1-3 without all of the benefits of the lower wizard classes...though I think you still get some of the level 1 benefits like choosing a wizard subclass and maybe the cantrips you'd normally get at level 1...but very very not clear on the details right now. At any rate...don't plan on multiclassing yet because it works nothing like in D&D 5e and we don't have all the details.

That sounds crazy wat o.O . It does sound a lot more flexible which yea can really lead to a lot of bad combos but I find it cool that you can try it out and that there might be a slim chance that it can be viable just for the game, even if it's not viable for actual DnD5e xD. But yea essentially you're right, we'll have to see in-game how the mechanics for multiclassing work. I feel like with the complexity though I might end up just not going for it hahahahah

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Inryu
do you know if they give guidelines on multiclassing and like showing the things classes will learn if you progress?

To answer the second part of the question, that's one of the thing we don't currently know, we know there's a ''show details'' button on character creation that might be just what you ask but we don't really know for sure.

addict
addict
Curious, I guess I could answer this myself by looking it up lol

in 3rd edition, in order to cast a spell as a Wizard, sorc, cleric, Ranger, any class that has a spell list , you had to have a +1 modifier to cast a lv 1 spell +2 modifier to cast a lv 2 spell so forth.
so will use a Int based wiz for example.
10-11 +0
12-13 +1
14-15 +2... So a wizard with 13 intel could not cast a lv 2 spell.

Does this no longer apply in 5th edition
Looking not seeing anything yet, however lets say for instance your barbarian with the 8 intel does not need a positive modifier to cast a spell, but a positive modifier lends to a greater DC (difficulty Check) He could still cast defensive and buff spells, could come in very handy SHIELD ,Mirror image, blur along with other.

Last edited by Doomlord; 22/07/23 02:29 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
enthusiast
enthusiast
I would swear that rule still apply on 5e (although I'm not sure a 100%) from what I remember but considering what they're doing I'm just assuming that's not going to exist in BG3

N
old hand
old hand
N
Play what you want, though I'd recommend playing either a face class or a barb first off.

Face classes for the obvious advantage on talking your way out of things. But barbs have a special interaction on the tutorial level that can help you snowball your party without the cost other classes face for the same option. And barbs tend to do good on intimidation checks so they can ki d of face too.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Play what you want, though I'd recommend playing either a face class or a barb first off.

Face classes for the obvious advantage on talking your way out of things. But barbs have a special interaction on the tutorial level that can help you snowball your party without the cost other classes face for the same option. And barbs tend to do good on intimidation checks so they can ki d of face too.
Barbarian is very good for combat, if you're struggling with combat in the game the barbarian can be a big help. But I don't find it a particularly interesting in a game with so many skill and proficiency checks. I plan to play one of the charisma spellcaster classes so I can have mastery in intimidation, persuasion, and deception, but I think ultimately the best classes for exploring all the wide narrative options of this game will be the skill monkeys.

apprentice
apprentice
The good news is all the classes are fun and you can respec everything except race for your character. So the only important thing for character creation I would say is choosing a race that you like.
We don't know whether party skill pooling will ever be in so as N7Greenfire says having some charisma and some skills like persuasion is handy. Perception also seems to gets rolled a lot.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Doomlord

in 3rd edition, in order to cast a spell as a Wizard, sorc, cleric, Ranger, any class that has a spell list , you had to have a +1 modifier to cast a lv 1 spell +2 modifier to cast a lv 2 spell so forth.
10-11 +0
12-13 +1

Looking not seeing anything yet, however lets say for instance your barbarian with the 8 intel does not need a positive modifier to cast a spell, but a positive modifier lends to a greater DC (difficulty Check) He could still cast defensive and buff spells, could come in very handy SHIELD ,Mirror image, blur along with other.

I did get some info on the Dnd beyond forums.

"Not in 5e as long as you know/prepared the spell and have the appropriate spell slot level or higher you can cast the spell. Having a low spell casting modifier will make it harder to pass the attack roll and/or the enemies will pass the saving throw more likely."

So that answered my question, if you have the slot, you can cast the spell. DC still applies so if you are running around with an 8 intel ability score, buff's will be all your good at and that IMO could be fun. barbarian with blur and mirror image, you know for flavor. Not sure if it would be worth all you'll lose in DPS at lv 12, but the flavor may be good.

Last edited by Doomlord; 22/07/23 03:38 AM.

DRAGON FIRE-AND DOOM Dragons? Splendid things, lad-so long as ye look upon them only in tapestries, or in the masks worn at revels, or from about three realms off...
Astragarl Hornwood, Mage of Elembar - Year of the Tusk
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon

Barbarian is very good for combat, if you're struggling with combat in the game the barbarian can be a big help. But I don't find it a particularly interesting in a game with so many skill and proficiency checks. I plan to play one of the charisma spellcaster classes so I can have mastery in intimidation, persuasion, and deception, but I think ultimately the best classes for exploring all the wide narrative options of this game will be the skill monkeys.
They get some of the best class dialogue options though like
ripping the door off of shadowhearts pod, they are the only class that can free her if you dont want to use the tadpole

enthusiast
enthusiast
ripping the door off of shadowhearts pod, they are the only class that can free her if you dont want to use the tadpole

You can do it with warlock or sorc too I don't wemember wich one

EDIT: It was sorc

10-11 +0
12-13 +1

"Not in 5e as long as you know/prepared the spell and have the appropriate spell slot level or higher you can cast the spell. Having a low spell casting modifier will make it harder to pass the attack roll and/or the enemies will pass the saving throw more likely."

So that answered my question, if you have the slot, you can cast the spell. DC still applies so if you are running around with an 8 intel ability score, buff's will be all your good at and that IMO could be fun. barbarian with blur and mirror image, you know for flavor. Not sure if it would be worth all you'll lose in DPS at lv 12, but the flavor may be good.

Weird, I guess I got confused with bg1 and 2

Last edited by Adgaroth; 22/07/23 03:49 AM.
S
journeyman
journeyman
S

10-11 +0
12-13 +1

Yes that is how 5e works, but there seems to be some shifting on how spellcasting interacts with multiclassing in BG3, so I wouldn't lock yourself into that for any pre-planning.

N
old hand
old hand
N

You can do it with warlock or sorc too I don't wemember wich one

EDIT: It was sorc

10-11 +0
12-13 +1

Weird, I guess I got confused with bg1 and 2
Its been changed. The sorc can bypass having to find the rune but still has to use the tadpole. Barb is the only one who can do it and stay pure

enthusiast
enthusiast
Its been changed. The sorc can bypass having to find the rune but still has to use the tadpole. Barb is the only one who can do it and stay pure

Huh, interesting decision, I wonder if really only one class will be able to do that on release.

N
old hand
old hand
N

Huh, interesting decision, I wonder if really only one class will be able to do that on release.
I get why they did it, that tadpole use is the only one that I felt ever tempted me as a good player

Last edited by N7Greenfire; 22/07/23 04:24 AM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard