Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by N7Greenfire
Originally Posted by Adgaroth
Its been changed. The sorc can bypass having to find the rune but still has to use the tadpole. Barb is the only one who can do it and stay pure

Huh, interesting decision, I wonder if really only one class will be able to do that on release.
I get why they did it, that tadpole use is the only one that I felt ever tempted me as a good player

Why? it takes like 30 extra seconds to get the rune anyway.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Its been changed. The sorc can bypass having to find the rune but still has to use the tadpole. Barb is the only one who can do it and stay pure

Huh, interesting decision, I wonder if really only one class will be able to do that on release.
I get why they did it, that tadpole use is the only one that I felt ever tempted me as a good player

Now you have to use a tadpole when you plug in the rune. Meaning you can't save Shadow and stay pure unless you are a barb

enthusiast
enthusiast
Now you have to use a tadpole when you plug in the rune. Meaning you can't save Shadow and stay pure unless you are a barb

Ooooooohhh I see, kinda weird but ok I guess.

veteran
veteran

It's hard to say for sure but I would be surprised if total purity has an impact on the story. As long as you avoid using it as much as possible, having only used the tadpole once or twice will probably not matter. My guess is that becoming branded a True Soul is probably the point where having used the tadpole changes your game.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Yeah I'm not taking that risk. Especially on my first run

veteran
veteran
I mean if you really are that worried about it you could just start as a Barbarian and then respec at the earlier possible opportunity into whatever you actually want to play as...which should be pretty early in act 1. But I really wouldn't worry that much about it...you most likely won't be able to optimize all choices for whatever you want on your first playthrough and you don't even know what all the endings are anyway. Plus some failed rolls here or there will probably derail some of your plans anyway. First playthrough should mostly be for exploration and seeing what story and ending you end up getting...then you can start wondering what if I did this other thing, or made that other choice, etc. for future playthroughs.

Last edited by Darth_Trethon; 22/07/23 05:10 AM.
N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
I mean if you really are that worried about it you could just start as a Barbarian and then respec at the earlier possible opportunity into whatever you actually want to play as...which should be pretty early in act 1. But I really wouldn't worry that much about it...you most likely won't be able to optimize all choices for whatever you want on your first playthrough and you don't even know what all the endings are anyway. Plus some failed rolls here or there will probably derail some of your plans anyway. First playthrough should mostly be for exploration and seeing what story and ending you end up getting...then you can start wondering what if I did this other thing, or made that other choice, etc. for future playthroughs.
Maybe I'm weird but I want to play every class atleast once, other than maybe fighter

veteran
veteran
Maybe I'm weird but I want to play every class atleast once, other than maybe fighter
You can respec to your heart's content but you can experience other classes through companions and hirelings but it's a bad idea to do it too much in your fist playthrough. For the tough bossfights you'll need to know how to run your entire party pretty well and it devolves into madness when you don't remember half your skills and abilities because you were another class five minutes ago and different player classes demand different party compositions anyway. It would be wise to settle into a main class and a party setup pretty early so by the time you get to late act 2 or act 3 you know your character and your party very well.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Darth_Trethon
You can respec to your heart's content but you can experience other classes through companions and hirelings but it's a bad idea to do it too much in your fist playthrough. For the tough bossfights you'll need to know how to run your entire party pretty well and it devolves into madness when you don't remember half your skills and abilities because you were another class five minutes ago and different player classes demand different party compositions anyway. It would be wise to settle into a main class and a party setup pretty early so by the time you get to late act 2 or act 3 you know your character and your party very well.
Yeah I won't be recalling either probably just a fresh playthrough for each class

veteran
veteran
OP: I played an gnome arcane trickster in EA and it was one of my favorite characters. I wouldn't worry too much about planning beforehand. You seem to have a basic knowledge of DnD 5e, that should be enough.

"We are all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."

Doctor Who
Originally Posted by fylimar
OP: I played an gnome arcane trickster in EA and it was one of my favorite characters. I wouldn't worry too much about planning beforehand. You seem to have a basic knowledge of DnD 5e, that should be enough.

This. You apparently have D&D knowledge/experience and the game is made to be easily playable by people who have none. You're even easily able to get your Arcane Trickster by just playing Rogue and picking Arcane Trickster as your subclass on level 3 iirc. Though you'll want some Intelligence to go with your Dexterity then obviously. Class and race will indeed make differences in dialogue but mostly in a positive way as far as I've seen, i.e. giving additional options or flavour. So don't worry too much. It certainly doesn't hurt thinking ahead but it's definitely not necessary.

Nobody's perfect... I'm a nobody.
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Just adding my voice to those saying that while it's probably good to have a basic grasp of D&D (and 5e) it's also likely best not to overplan given how much we don't know. Of course, we should all play however we please, but personally I'm intending to largely wing it on my first playthrough and see what I see, and then will probably try some more planned out playthroughs after that.

I also like playing magical rogue type characters, and I think they're also a great choice for a first playthrough as it makes a lot of sense that they're curious and experimental, so you can get to see and play around with lots of aspects of the game as a player while still leaning into the roleplay aspect that I personally think is one of BG3's strengths.

"You may call it 'nonsense' if you like, but I've heard nonsense, compared with which that would be as sensible as a dictionary!"
veteran
veteran
I don’t think anyone mentioned that BG3 will offer a very generous respec option - so even if you fumble something you should be able to redo it fairly easy. If you know basics of 5e or D&D in general you should be good to go.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wormerine
I don’t think anyone mentioned that BG3 will offer a very generous respec option - so even if you fumble something you should be able to redo it fairly easy. If you know basics of 5e or D&D in general you should be good to go.
I have in my first reply.

enthusiast
enthusiast
The most fun part is to plan the Character itself, as in - background, personality, motivations, aspirations. Then selecting a class that would fit. And then trying to stick with it throughout the game, making choices that the Character would’ve made, not the player.

As for building from mechanical perspective - stats, feats etc., BG3 and DnD 5e is so simple that you can’t really go wrong. Pathfinder games were tricky and required actual build planning for higher difficulties, taking into consideration party composition etc., but BG3 doesn’t need that, it’s very easy and straightforward.

Last edited by ladydub; 22/07/23 11:57 AM.
C
addict
addict
C
Originally Posted by Inryu
I think I just got daunted looking at all the effort people were putting into thinking of multi-classing and stuff, maybe 'cause my DM on that short campaign didn't include that feature if I remember correctly.

I realize what I'm responding to is near the beginning of a longer thread that I haven't finished reading yet, but I want to respond to this point on particular.

Many of the folks putting huge effort into builds are folks who are very deep with D&D, and many of whom also have been playing EA for years.

This game is intended as a general-audience offering, and isn't meant to cater primarily to folks who are going in knowing what they're doing. The kind of deep planning you see here is absolutely not necessary (and to my mind, a little premature given how little we know about what we'll get at release).

Start with a single class and see how it goes.

Last edited by colinl8; 22/07/23 04:30 PM.
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Hello everyone! I'm new to the Forum, and for context, I love DnD but have only ever gotten to play one small campaign (the usual, time constraints), but I've watched quite a lot of campaigns on Youtube, so the extent of my DnD knowledge only goes that far.

My question is, do you guys think I'll enjoy playing through Baldur's Gate more if I go heavy on research and pre-planning on what to build my class? Or should I just do whatever and see where it goes? I've always liked the Arcane Trickster and I never really even got to become one during the only campaign I've played, but there's multi-classing everyone's doing/planning to do, and all the technicalities. I'm wondering if I won't get to fully appreciate the game if I don't do the same?

Additional question, for the game, are the dialogue options influenced by your character's race and/or class? Or is it just alignment, or not at all?

This is DND 5e not pathfinder, aka its a cakewalk if you got no clue what you are doing just pump one class to level 12, and you will beat the game without any difficulty on normal, as 5th edition is so streamlined you could beat the campaign by beating people with just your fists using an unoptimized fighter with 11 strength. Larian also provide way to many bombs, granades, firebarrels, and scrolls to the point you could just beat most fights with your eyes closed. So no, dont worry about it to much- especially since they are adding respecing to the game. Just try what ever and see if you like it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by AusarViled
Hello everyone! I'm new to the Forum, and for context, I love DnD but have only ever gotten to play one small campaign (the usual, time constraints), but I've watched quite a lot of campaigns on Youtube, so the extent of my DnD knowledge only goes that far.

My question is, do you guys think I'll enjoy playing through Baldur's Gate more if I go heavy on research and pre-planning on what to build my class? Or should I just do whatever and see where it goes? I've always liked the Arcane Trickster and I never really even got to become one during the only campaign I've played, but there's multi-classing everyone's doing/planning to do, and all the technicalities. I'm wondering if I won't get to fully appreciate the game if I don't do the same?

Additional question, for the game, are the dialogue options influenced by your character's race and/or class? Or is it just alignment, or not at all?

This is DND 5e not pathfinder, aka its a cakewalk if you got no clue what you are doing just pump one class to level 12, and you will beat the game without any difficulty on normal, as 5th edition is so streamlined you could beat the campaign by beating people with just your fists using an unoptimized fighter with 11 strength. Larian also provide way to many bombs, granades, firebarrels, and scrolls to the point you could just beat most fights with your eyes closed. So no, dont worry about it to much- especially since they are adding respecing to the game. Just try what ever and see if you like it.
This isnt really true. There's plenty of encounters in normal where you'll get tired if you don't take things seriously.

A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A

This isnt really true. There's plenty of encounters in normal where you'll get tired if you don't take things seriously.

There are some encounters that can be somewhat difficult- gith patrol for one, but in almost all the cases you can talk out of the fights anyway. Hag is optional, goblin camp fight is optional, helsin can auto resolve his quest, underdark can be avoided entirely based of what is said in EA. I doubt it will be challenging

N
old hand
old hand
N

There are some encounters that can be somewhat difficult- gith patrol for one, but in almost all the cases you can talk out of the fights anyway. Hag is optional, goblin camp fight is optional, helsin can auto resolve his quest, underdark can be avoided entirely based of what is said in EA. I doubt it will be challenging

Purposefully avoiding fights due to the difficulty isn't exactly "beat the game without any difficulty"

Heck Lots of people will likely get thier first tpk in the crypt if they don't loot the skeleton with the scimitar.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard