Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Firesong
I'm navigator4223 on the Steam forums and the place is incredibly toxic, unlike here.

Please, for the sake of the community, but also for the sake of game PR and marketing, send one or two moderators over there to clean up and keep the nonsense in check.

Many threads and postings there are insulting to community members from the LGBTIQ+ spectrum, for example, also there is a lot of trolling.

I ask here because I can see on this forum here that Larian has great people for this job, but the Steam forums may be the very first contact many people have with this game so I think it would be reasonable to moderate over there, too.

You came to game developer’s forum to QQ about trolls bashing lgbt on a Steam forum? Wow, that’s… productive.

Btw people are allowed to have their opinions. And I didn’t see any toxicity there, typical internet stuff.

The Steam topics you’re referring to, are usually responded with “calm down dude”. This response fits your own topic here.

veteran
veteran
Steam is a better run forum [by that i mean it has the tools]
yes the people there are toxic [they see others get away with it so thats ok right]

from time to time they will open spam or hate threads here and in Gog and it sometimes takes a day to find them but the people here don't want that junk so it doesn't take hold

Luke Skywalker: I don't, I don't believe it.
Yoda: That is why you failed.
veteran
veteran
I just love talking about BG3.

I care way more what folks here think about Gale's Netherese Orb than I do what they think about politics and whatnot.

addict
addict
Welcome to the internet …unfortunately it gives many people the ability to say anything without any real consequences.

C
stranger
stranger
C
I've been to hundreds of gaming forums and have never seen one as toxic as the Baldurs Gate forum on steam.
I think they group there because they've been banned everywhere-eles.

This problem would be solved if you would have to use your real name, location and picture on every internet forum. It's easy to be the ultimate keyboard warrior if no one knows your real identity.

apprentice
apprentice
They do.

I got a 24 hour ban for saying it's bitter petty behavior to be mad that the game is coming out 672 hours for everyone instead of 72 hours for only those who preordered the game.

Curious priorities.

Originally Posted by Potatoo
This problem would be solved if you would have to use your real name, location and picture on every internet forum. It's easy to be the ultimate keyboard warrior if no one knows your real identity.

Oh my God I remember that. Such a trip that discourse became.

Last edited by CerusSerenade; 23/07/23 04:52 AM.

"This woman has come in contact with Tokyo's manga. She is Unclean and would lead we righteous ones astray."
A
enthusiast
enthusiast
A
Downside being that you'd then also be a heck of a target if you ever said anything even remotely indicating support for consenting adults having bedroom freedom or the dissolution of obsessive obedience to bronze age ritualism or a whole bunch of other things.

addict
addict

Yeah, there are plenty of cowardly bullies out there that would STFU if they had to reveal themselves, but the tradeoff is what you get in other countries where speech is crushed because a government uses it as a tool of oppression and revealing yourself gets you jailed or worse.

I own my shit, but I understand why others don't.

Back from timeout.
S
old hand
old hand
S
The solution to anything is NEVER less anonymity. Removing it is a slippery slope that leads to surveillance states alike the one in some totalitarian regims. Being able to have an opinion not linked to your person is a freedom we often tend to overlook.

apprentice
apprentice
It's genuinely funny how people are reacting to:

As if it's a serious idea, rather than a call back to something that was suggested by Blizzard over a decade ago.

Yes, it was intensely mocked and belittled as it deserved.

Last edited by CerusSerenade; 23/07/23 06:04 AM.

"This woman has come in contact with Tokyo's manga. She is Unclean and would lead we righteous ones astray."
old hand
old hand
I'd rather want people to not emotionally invest into braindead discussions on the internet than have their anonymity removed. My point about 'IRL vs Internet' was more about us understanding the difference between two dimensions. If you project online communication into reality and vice versa, it can upset and disappoint. If you always remind yourself about the differences in communication, then you'll be able to spare your nerves.

B
stranger
stranger
B
We could really use a Larian community manager over on Steam. One of the users there doxxed me to keep the "gays out of baldurs gate" and managed to get my email. Now I keep getting vulgar crap in my inbox framed as business emails because I had the audacity to mention wanting to romance Gale.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Big Biscuits
We could really use a Larian community manager over on Steam. One of the users there doxxed me to keep the "gays out of baldurs gate" and managed to get my email. Now I keep getting vulgar crap in my inbox framed as business emails because I had the audacity to mention wanting to romance Gale.
That’s awful!!! Hopefully they deal with the issue on Steam!

B
stranger
stranger
B
I sent in a support ticket and quickly got back an automated response telling me how to report people and then nothing, but I think thats because their support I'd closed on weekends.

Though given the content of the Steam forums I have no faith they'll do anything.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Yay for Steam. A bastion of free speech.
On many popular forums speaking against perverts and queers gets one banned.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Buba68
On many popular forums speaking against perverts and queers gets one banned.

This is one of them. Using that sort of rhetoric will see you quickly uninvited so I suggest you don't.

J'aime le fromage.
D
addict
addict
D
Originally Posted by JandK
I've never checked out the Steam forums so I don't know what it's like, but I do feel like one person's "too much" is often another person's "discussion."

I agree with the sentiment, but I've been to the steam forums often enough to know better. They are generally pretty awful.

veteran
veteran

That's disappointing. It's also not true, because while it may take longer, that sort of speech will get you banned on Steam and if you push it not only that but you can lose access to your games.

Don't believe me? Maybe you should read that EULA you signed when you joined.

I guess you would consider Twitter a bastion of speech, but that platform is dying. They have lost 50% of their Ad revenue and it's currently valued at about 15 Billion down from the 44 billion EM paid for it.

They are also being sued in Europe for all kinds of content moderation issues. Lack of moderation is a death knell to civilized discourse and it will cost you.

The Paradox of Intolerance states that “in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.”

And if you are thinking that "Gosh, I'd love to live in an intolerant society that lets me spew hateful diatribe against anyone I want!' - I would say your lack of Wisdom won't prepare you for when that intolerant society turns its intolerance on you or someone you care about.

Blackheifer
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Blackheifer

That's disappointing. It's also not true, because while it may take longer, that sort of speech will get you banned on Steam and if you push it not only that but you can lose access to your games.

Don't believe me? Maybe you should read that EULA you signed when you joined.

I guess you would consider Twitter a bastion of speech, but that platform is dying. They have lost 50% of their Ad revenue and it's currently valued at about 15 Billion down from the 44 billion EM paid for it.

They are also being sued in Europe for all kinds of content moderation issues. Lack of moderation is a death knell to civilized discourse and it will cost you.

The Paradox of Intolerance states that “in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance.”

And if you are thinking that "Gosh, I'd love to live in an intolerant society that lets me spew hateful diatribe against anyone I want!' - I would say your lack of Wisdom won't prepare you for when that intolerant society turns its intolerance on you or someone you care about.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

mod already dealt with it, don't let yourself get baited.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard