Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
M
Originally Posted by fylimar
Originally Posted by Totoro
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Originally Posted by SaveScummer
I love the infinite respec for a regular playthrough, but would wholeheartedly endorse a much stricter version for tactician mode.

Would make no difference, all that players would do os change the difficulty before respeccing.
That's perfect. I think taking Withers out of the game would work just fine on Tactician. Only those players who wanted to respec would break immersion and switch to story mode. I mean, you could put George Washington in the game to answer questions about the American Revolutionary War, but if George only showed up in Cheat/Joke/Story Mode, I'd be fine with that. Withers isn't as bad as George Washington, but he is clearly an anthropomorphic cheat code. Put cheat codes behind Story mode and let those who want to play without them never see them at all, I say. I'd give Withers even more cheat codes and just not use them unless I really needed to dip in for just a sec (like your example with Astarion), but I'd be happy knowing that other players had more options, assuming Larian has the time to properly add them. I personally feel like the only reason I need Withers is because I can't have a custom party; if I get that, I wouldn't need to cheat and wouldn't want to see Withers (or George Washington) at all.
I 'm not trying to talk you out of that idea, but I wanted to point out that Withers is important to the story of a certain NPC.

Which is why I think it is not good idea to combine a convenience feature that's doesn't make sense in the game world with a important plot figure. Don't take me wrong, I am fine with the respec, but they should not come up with in-world justifications, since those are never really plausible.

There's quite a bit of narrative inconsistency if you spec out party members out of their default classes.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
I personally would like to see an ironman mode, with no reloads allowed and no respect or Withers. I realise I can self-impose this but it would be nice to have an actual option in the difficulty section. This should be completely separate from Tactician though, because it is right that people should have the option of more difficult battles without the other barriers. I would not support removing or limiting respect in the "normal" difficulty levels.

veteran
veteran
I'd be fine with an ironmode mode option, that wouldn't hurt my experience at all, but straight up nerfing respecs would be awful for me, I'm not a DND expert, and I had to respec a number of times throughout my playthrough to get a build I liked.

Originally Posted by Boblawblah
I'd be fine with an ironmode mode option, that wouldn't hurt my experience at all, but straight up nerfing respecs would be awful for me, I'm not a DND expert, and I had to respec a number of times throughout my playthrough to get a build I liked.
I don't think anyone is suggesting it be removed. The suggestions seem to be somewhere between make it more expensive and hide it behind a "Difficulty" wall. I'm in the latter camp. I would try to play without Withers (or as fylimar has pointed out, with Withers who only stands there to serve his role in association with an NPC story arc), but if I screwed something up, I would definitely switch to story mode, fix it, then switch back to Tactician. I prefer that the choice to break immersion be menu-driven instead of trying to pretend WIthers letting you respec actually makes sense narratively.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Not to be a "don't like it don't use it"-er, but that's really all I can say. If you choose to use it, well that's your choice, and the thing is BG3 has been HUGE, the percent of people playing it that don't know anything at all about DnD is much larger then the ones that do. So why do you want to actively punish people who make a poor choice simply because they don't pre-emptively understand DnD mechs so they -through no fault of their own, could NOT make an informed decision?
The respec is cheap for THOSE people, not for people who want all their picks to weigh on them
Don't suggest punishing people that don't understand the mechs of a game genre they've never played just because some of us do

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mukakruda
Not to be a "don't like it don't use it"-er, but that's really all I can say. If you choose to use it, well that's your choice, and the thing is BG3 has been HUGE, the percent of people playing it that don't know anything at all about DnD is much larger then the ones that do. So why do you want to actively punish people who make a poor choice simply because they don't pre-emptively understand DnD mechs so they -through no fault of their own, could NOT make an informed decision?
The respec is cheap for THOSE people, not for people who want all their picks to weigh on them
Don't suggest punishing people that don't understand the mechs of a game genre they've never played just because some of us do

100%

Minthara is the best character and she NEEDS to be recruitable if you side with the grove!
Also- I support the important thread in the suggestions: Let everyone in the Party Speak
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by DumbleDorf
Originally Posted by SaveScummer
I love the infinite respec for a regular playthrough, but would wholeheartedly endorse a much stricter version for tactician mode.

Would make no difference, all that players would do os change the difficulty before respeccing.

True enough, but if you're testing yourself to see how you do in tactician, then you're only cheating yourself, right? If you are going for the Tactician game completion achievement I'm pretty sure you can't change the difficulty anywhere along the way.

Originally Posted by Mukakruda
You don't have to be a "don't like it don't use it"-er to agree with the points you made. I very rarely side with "don't like it don't use it" and I do not side with it in this case, either. I still agree with your points, though. Indeed, I would make respec FREE for THOSE people. I'd just hide it behind a Difficulty Wall so that respec isn't part of the narrative. Withers doesn't need to talk about respec at all because it is never going to make sense that your high STR Fighter is now a low STR Wizard. And it makes the game worse by trying to pretend it makes any narrative sense at all. Just have players mea culpa click on Story Mode to get a menu that allows them to respec for free and let them deal with the immersion-breaking aspect of that. Like I said above, if I messed up, I'd bite the bullet and respec, but I actually hate that Withers offers respec as part of the story.

So when you click on the difficulty setting, just include a section that says "Respec Character?" and a section that says "Resurrect Character?" Make the selection and move on without a financial transaction with a skeleton.

C
stranger
stranger
C
Seems like a willpower issue if you're using it to scum encounters, not to mention infinitely more immersion breaking than the option simply existing. But I see no reason why not forbid it on higher difficulties as a challenge, I guess?

But overall I think the system is great as it is because you can use it to fix mistakes that you need the first few hours of act 1 to learn, in terms of ability score tinkering and stuff "Oh I made all my stats odd numbers and now I know that's not really what I should be doing". Or in some cases being like "I actually don't enjoy this class so I'm going to switch to something more my speed, but I'm not interested in starting over."

Though, having gone through this as a Paladin who found he didn't like oathbreaker abilities, it is weird that restoring your oath is basically just a respec that costs 1000g, while everyone else only has to pay 100g.

I get it but it is weird.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Count Turnipsome
The game needs a "Tactitian, Immersive, 100% D&D, No cheese, No cheats" mode.

With optional HARDCORE tactitian which has:
-Slot base inventory. Max 30 slots. Think about what you bring and use.
-Short rest limit. No rest in many areas.
-Buff in enemy AI, more D&D stats variety.
-Regular weapons sell for nothing. Magic weapons x5 the price to buy. Less magic weapons. No copy of magic items or weapons.
-Half the food available.
-No more UI map (find actual MAPS in gameworld) No markers. No waypoints.

And see how many think its NOT fun. Bet you that would be the most popular mode, by far.

This sounds pretty intersting.
Maybe they can even remove the stupid shove and jump then...but i guess thats too much to hope^^

But i would really love a game mode that is feeling like actual D&D and not like a D&D themed DOS. That is my biggesat problem with the game.

Last edited by UnknownEvil; 27/08/23 05:19 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Originally Posted by Severance
Hello,
I’ll keep it short, please redesign the respec in the game. I feel like the respec for 100g, makes choices about lvling up irrelevant. I can spam respec after every fight. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth that the option is that readily available.

I am not saying to remove the option completely but at least make it have an increasing cost when using the option!!!…
(Especially for harder difficulties) Thank you for your time.

No and pls stop with all these nonsense suggestion!. Look if you feel that respec to be more expensive, just drop the gold and throw it a way. Your choice. No need to FORCE people enjoyment FOR YOUR SELFISH request.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Severance
I can spam respec after every fight.

I personally don't use it that way, but if this will be changed... then i hope at least 1st respec per character will be at normal price. I simply don't want to be locked with default companion classes

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
100 gp is basically free - very early in the game you easily bypass that. So they may as well make it free. I agree that it should be off in tactician (or limited to 1 respec) - learn to live with your choices or, learn the 5e rules (they are short). They *warn* people against multi-classing unless you know what you are doing - MC'ing seems to be the main 'justification' for having such a cheap respec. Way too many people are allergic to reading - 5e is the simplest modern D&D system to date. That said, Larian have done a poor job of explaining 5e rules - and their deviations from the rules only serve to muddy the waters further.

I don't recall being able to respec in BG1 or BG2 (or many later games). But now it seems to be viewed as indispensable - although when people didn't have it, they did perfectly fine.

H
stranger
stranger
H
This is in same gategory with "save scum"
You can do it, and it... well make the game less fun and less replay able, but you can do it or decide not to do it.
I have not respecked yet, and most likely don´t do it unless i mis click something and has to fix that. I personally also don´t load game after failed check roll. It did happen and is now part of the story. And I have not have any problems because of that. I lose something that I could have seen, but also see things that I would lose if I would not have lose those checks.
I don´t mind if other players do these things. But it bothers me when they say that game is boring. It is mainly boring because of respeck and save scumming. IMHO. So there is no easy answer to that and people do what they do. But I hope that people understand what consequences these chooses have to the game. If they do. I am fine that these options are in the game! Respecking allows you to experince different builds really quickly, Save scumming allows to see all short terms options really quicly... But they take away long term rewards like replay ability. (if you use them too often)

F
addict
addict
F
Gosh, am I the only one who dreads respeccing at level 12? You have to sift through extra choices and choices when you only want to make one to two tweaks.

There's a real life cost in time lost playing the game to do work-like administration. Unless it's major, I just don't do it - or do it early, like straight away.

The 100gp matters early on, time spent matters later on.

T
journeyman
journeyman
T
Originally Posted by booboo
I don't recall being able to respec in BG1 or BG2 (or many later games). But now it seems to be viewed as indispensable - although when people didn't have it, they did perfectly fine.

That's because annoyingly massive amounts of people basically just automatically "prefer" and defend things being whatever way they already are, regardless of what that is.

With the game having released with the easy respec, there's a lot of people saying it's better this way and shouldn't be changed, and only some saying it should be changed.
If the game had released without the easy respec, and someone suggested providing it, there'd be a lot of people saying it was better without it and the game shouldn't be changed (to the way it is now).
A lot of the SAME people. The exact same people arguing for this state, would argue for that state, because what they really argue for and feel they prefer, is just whatever is already the case.

It's a phenomenon that's easily observable with many examples across many games.

old hand
old hand
You could respec in earlier DnD games using mods. Its a feature that most players want, so nowadays it tends to get included into the game.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The respec thing is a quick and kludgy workaround for not being able to make a custom party in single player. Because otherwise it makes zero sense for Larian to spend how many man hours writing and designing their awful Origin characters, just to throw their hands up and go nah forget story/dialogue just make them whatever you want then guys. If they would fix the actual underlying problem correctly instead of quick and dirty, then perhaps people wouldn't be so stuck on keeping it so easy to do.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Respec is making decisions and not living with them. Whereas making mistakes and living with them is the GIST of RPG.
If at all, respec should be available at enormous cost - thousands of XP and gps. And maybe once a game? Possibly combined with losing a level, i.e. ending the game at 11 lvl? Or being pushed back a level or two with associated XP loss, i.e. from 6th to 4th, and having to grind back?

Last edited by Buba68; 30/08/23 01:54 AM.
Originally Posted by Buba68
Respec is making decisions and not living with them. Whereas making mistakes and living withem is the GIST of RPG.
If at all, respec should be available at enormous cost - thousands of XP and gps. And maybe once a game? Possibly combined with losing a level, i.e. ending the game at 11 lvl? Or being pushed back a level or two with associated XP loss, i.e. from 6th to 4th, and having to grind back?
I completely disagree. I think respec should be forbidden on Tactician and should be FREE on Story Mode. You know when you download a mod and you know when you switch to Story Mode. Knowing you are cheating is enough, but stopping people from cheating in the game they bought to (potentially) play by themselves is, IMHO, uncool.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard