Print Thread
#888582 29/08/23 08:51 PM
O
odium Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
I'm a long time player of cRPG and I consider myself quite adept with the older D&D3.5 or Pathfinder1 rules but I'm a bit unfamiliar with the D&D5 rules. My confusion is related to the how the spell "Confusion" works. Based on the spell's description ingame I'm expecting that once a creature fails its initial save and gets the status "Confused" it will remain so until the number of turns pass (I believe that by default, without upcasting, this is 3 turns) unless the caster fails a concentration save or the status "Confused" is removed. What I've noticed instead is that affected creature gets a save each turn and if it passes then the status "Confused" is removed... Is that how is supposed to work or is this a bug. You can see below an image with this per turn save highlighted in yellow.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zQwZKl8BGyPOfPXKBPXy1TkHo9kn7T2Z/view?usp=sharing[/img]

G
apprentice
apprentice
G
Most all status effects in 5e get a save every turn.

old hand
old hand
If your confusion spell doesn't have at least a 95% chance then don't use it.

At 95% it can only be broken on a natural 20.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 29/08/23 08:58 PM.
O
odium Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
O
Understood, so this is not a bug... I must say that I'm a bit baffled by this as, at least at first sight, non-nuker spellcasters seem to be at a serious disadvantage in this rule set.

veteran
veteran
In 5e, creatures get a new saving throw against most spells at the *end* of each of their turns. On a success, the spell's effect on them ends. Since it happens at the end of their turns, if they fail the initial save they're guaranteed to be confused for at least 1 turn.

BG3, however, has new saves happen at the *start* of creatures' turns. Thus, every creature gets 2 chances (effectively Advantage) to succeed on a spell before feeling its negative effects.

Additionally, there are various bugs in BG3 where failing the 2nd save STILL removes the condition from the creature, in what I assume is a "-1 x -1 = 1" situation. The game says "you failed, so toggle the confusion condition on your character" which toggles it from ON back to to OFF.

tl;dr: ST spells with durations in BG3 suck (except for maybe Hypnotic Pattern)

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by mrfuji3
In 5e, creatures get a new saving throw against most spells at the *end* of each of their turns. On a success, the spell's effect on them ends. Since it happens at the end of their turns, if they fail the initial save they're guaranteed to be confused for at least 1 turn.

BG3, however, has new saves happen at the *start* of creatures' turns. Thus, every creature gets 2 chances (effectively Advantage) to succeed on a spell before feeling its negative effects.

Additionally, there are various bugs in BG3 where failing the 2nd save STILL removes the condition from the creature, in what I assume is a "-1 x -1 = 1" situation. The game says "you failed, so toggle the confusion condition on your character" which toggles it from ON back to to OFF.

tl;dr: ST spells with durations in BG3 suck (except for maybe Hypnotic Pattern)

This is actually pretty important because a save at the start of the turn means you dont get to take actions on CC'ed mobs if they pass, whereas a save at the end means you at least get one more turn of hits until they succeed.

But I have 95% chance on holds on both my PC and Jaheira both in full caster DC gear which is very easy to do in act 3, and it even works on most bosses, you only need about 21-22 DC for this. Bosses still need heighten for 95% but regular mobs don't.

Last edited by DumbleDorf; 29/08/23 11:42 PM.

Moderated by  Dom_Larian, Freddo, vometia 

Link Copied to Clipboard