Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
As much as I love Minsc, it was a disservice the way they left him in.

Previous games, he had high STR (duh) and an actual berserk, unless I am delusional. He was a ranger, but barbarian class was less of a thing back then.

Now... he is a ranger, with high DEX?. Why not start him off with 1 level ranger (keep with the original ranger lore) and a 1-3 level of barbarian with barbarian stats (way closer to what he was originally with high STR)?

It's a big disservice that we have to go pay 100 gold to put Minsc what he really should be (and its $@%!ing fun throwing Boo with a berserking rage).

Last edited by IDrownFish; 25/09/23 11:36 PM.
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
I wouldn't say to make him multiclass by default, but he should have a unique berserk ability and be Strength-based.

I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Wouldn't actually wouldn't disagree with you on either of those. I suspected either:

A: There was little knowledge about who they were reusing when they decided to resuse Minsc.

or

B: They didn't want Minsc to be too powerful of a character template (even though noone would be harmed by doing so... hell, look at Ascended Astarion Bite)

U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
Barbarian basically became a calss because of Minsc...

Minsc is a babrarian in every way but name.... he has never in any lore used spells, or any kind of magic,

Minsc being a ranger is an insult to common decency and the intelligence of the reader.

For fucks sake, at least make him strength based, as strength based rangers are a viable build.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Yes, having this big hulk that can pry his way out of a chest with low strength is...weird. But, they gave Halsin low strength in spite of having tree trunks for arms, so I'm not sure that they factor character appearance in when making stats.

I just take Minsc to camp and respec him to a Berserker, which is what he was in the originals. Yes, I know he was a ranger, but he had a special Berserk ability.

This is a terrific game, but I sometimes I wonder if any of the developers or writers played the first games.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let's just say, for the hell of it, what if they did make him a barbarian? What would they make Karlach? I'm already annoyed that we get two druid companions, both good-aligned, even, and be missing out on other classes.
Maybe Karlach could be made a Paladin? and Minthara a ranger?

I
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I
Originally Posted by GloriousZote
Let's just say, for the hell of it, what if they did make him a barbarian? What would they make Karlach? I'm already annoyed that we get two druid companions, both good-aligned, even, and be missing out on other classes.
Maybe Karlach could be made a Paladin? and Minthara a ranger?

Honestly, having 2 potential druids has caused me the very slightest of pain. Especially, considering, one had lore as an established druid before for like over two decade (ok, she was technically multiclass), and the other is new lore (with a special). I suspect most "annoyances" are nothing but empty steam considering the horribly limited party size.

I bet we could have just as easily, if not more, survived with 2 barbarians, especially considering both would be fun (enraged throw boo > flaming engine). We survived with 0 bards, 0 monks, and, in most cases, 0 paladins, cause we had to off the only one there was.

Last edited by IDrownFish; 26/09/23 02:41 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
NGL I'd rather do without Minsc and Jaheira, nostalgiabait isn't really my thing.
That said, I also don't really like Halsin.

Last edited by GloriousZote; 26/09/23 04:25 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by IDrownFish
Now... he is a ranger, with high DEX?. Why not start him off with 1 level ranger (keep with the original ranger lore) and a 1-3 level of barbarian with barbarian stats (way closer to what he was originally with high STR)?
I mean, you can do that yourself when lvling up. (minus retrain that you need to do to adjust STR).

I think some custom rage skill would be most fun.

veteran
veteran
I think the game just uses default stats based on the class.

For instance, if you examine Halsin before he's a companion, he has a higher strength. But when he becomes a companion, his stats immediately shift to the druid default you'd get at character creation.

Link Copied to Clipboard