Next Thread
Print Thread
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H
Hi There,

My old gaming pc/mb died and so did all the good times with my old sandybridge 2500k. I only made it through perhaps 1/4 of act 1, maybe less. I am desiring to build a new gaming pc with more modern components. I had my eyes on the AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this cpu and if they think all that lv3 cache really makes the difference. Otherwise I might go for a cpu with a higher clock speed. Online benchmarks really have me interested but I hope not to make a less exciting decision and be stuck with a less performing cpu for 6 or 8 years.

Hoping others can share their thoughts.
Also, how many cores does BG3 use max?

Last edited by HalfElfTiefling; 13/10/23 01:58 AM.
veteran
veteran
The biggest thing is going to be your hard drive, then processor, and then graphics card, and then memory.

The game accesses the hard drive constantly, stores it in RAM and the processor runs pretty hard. The Graphics Memory also gets a lot of use.

So first, I would make sure I had a 1 TB NVMe SSD M.2 Drive. Confirm the motherboard has the right slot for it. This is going to have the biggest overall effect on your gaming experience.

In fact if your current PC doesn't have this you may be able to salvage it by simply upgrading to this level.

L3 cache can help with latency spikes - and I would say that Bg3 is a prime example of a game that can benefit from L3 cache because it moves through so much data constantly.

Having said that - really with a game as memory intensive as this one, having at LEAST 16 GB of Ram is crucial, and frankly I would suggest 32 GB. It will go a long way to smoothing out your gameplay.

Finally, the video Graphics card (Vram) is going to be important for this game, especially when you get to Baldur's Gate itself. Again, you are moving through a lot of data as you move through the city and these are all things you can do to smooth out that experience. 8GB would be the minimum for good performance.

Finally you want between 6 and 8 cores to run the game well - 8 will give you more wiggle room with the high intensity areas. I have 6 cores and the game runs very well at highest settings, but sometimes I get just a touch of slowdown in high pop areas when I am running through the city itself.

Also there are a lot of memory leaks in the game, so make sure you are resetting ALL your memory after every play session (Win + CTRL + SHFT + B)

Last edited by Blackheifer; 13/10/23 02:28 AM.

Blackheifer
Bard of Suzail
Bard of Suzail
The run of RPG games this year is showing that the logic often pushed of focusing on the GPU is potentially flawed. A balanced system is always the way to go. For gaming the X3D chips have been a (pardon the pun) a game changer. I made the move about a month ago from a 5700X to a 5800X3D and quickly became a believer. While for shooter style games the change was miner, in my RPGs the change was more noticeable. From a raw performance point of the view the 5700X is very close to the 5800X3D. The clock speeds are identical with the 5700X potentially boosting above the 5800X3D. That means if there is a difference in gaming the L3 is the likely cause.

If I was building a from scratch gaming focused rig today I would for sure build with a 7800X3D. Should give you a good long gaming life.

Link Copied to Clipboard