Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I think that when wielded with both hands - all longswords should count as a finesse weapon. Its not a very heavy weapon, and when held in both hands its quite easy to handle for an average person. We already have a few, but not many, longswords that are finesse. All fighters start with a longsword, even if they are DEX based.

veteran
Online Content
veteran
That may all be true, butyou have to remember that making weapons finesse-based is about balance as much as realism. If you make longswords dexterity-based, then suddenly using daggers and shortswords becomes harder to justify. It's also a bit more complicated than is strictly necessary.

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost
That may all be true, butyou have to remember that making weapons finesse-based is about balance as much as realism. If you make longswords dexterity-based, then suddenly using daggers and shortswords becomes harder to justify. It's also a bit more complicated than is strictly necessary.

Not everyone goes into meta gaming. I would still use daggers on my rogue, because it just fits her better roleplay wise. Hell, I gave my cleric more charisma than she needed... for roleplay reasons.

As for OP, I'm all for it. I prefer longswords than 2h swords personally.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
old hand
old hand
B
Take it to WotC.

You have at least two Finesse Longswords in the game anyway. You can grab one at lvl 3, max 4.

E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I think its a reasonable change. It should be finesse only when handed with both hands. You are missing out on a shield for more ac or an offhand weapon for extra attack. Strength character will do more damage with real two handers. And people underestimate strength for pushing enemies in combat.

Last edited by Esteban Failsmor; 13/02/24 12:04 PM.
veteran
veteran
The thing is that the two finesse longswords are only finesse because they're connected to Corellon Larethian ([Larethian's Wrath]) and Eilistraee ([Phalar Aluve]), who as Elven deities are exquisitely graceful with their blades that it ends up looking like a dance.

So although any regular Joe can swing a longsword, they would be doing it brutishly/crudely without any grace, which is why these are the only two finesse longswords (to illustrate elven grace).

B
old hand
old hand
B
Originally Posted by Crimsomrider
The thing is that the two finesse longswords are only finesse because they're connected to Corellon Larethian ([Larethian's Wrath]) and Eilistraee ([Phalar Aluve]), who as Elven deities are exquisitely graceful with their blades that it ends up looking like a dance.

So although any regular Joe can swing a longsword, they would be doing it brutishly/crudely without any grace, which is why these are the only two finesse longswords (to illustrate elven grace).
This.
And players can give those blades to Body Type 3 and 4 Elves to illustrate Elven grace even further ...

veteran
Online Content
veteran
Originally Posted by ValkyrieN7
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost

Not everyone goes into meta gaming. I would still use daggers on my rogue, because it just fits her better roleplay wise. Hell, I gave my cleric more charisma than she needed... for roleplay reasons.

As for OP, I'm all for it. I prefer longswords than 2h swords personally.

I don't think it would be a metagame thing. Sure you can always choose a less optimale choice for roleplay reasons, but the boost that making a longsword finesse when wielded two-handed would simply make it too good a choice. It would push it to the point where players would have to ask "why shouldn't I use it" rather than "why should I use it?" Not every rogue or dexterity based fighter is going to have a roleplay reason to not use a longsword, and for those characters that don't have a self-imposed reason not to use them, then their weapon choice suddenly has a clear right answer, one that can easily be intuited by anyone just looking at the stats. That isn't metagaming, that's just... playing the game.

E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
Once again - you sacrificing the option to have a shield for ac or an offhand weapon for extra attack. Its not op. It does less damage then a greatsword or a greataxe would do on a strength character.

U
enthusiast
enthusiast
U
a slashing D8 finesse weapon would be great...

A sidesword, or a Saber would fill that niche.

Link Copied to Clipboard