Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
U
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
U
like, this game has been struggling to find a good way for Minthara to not die in act 1 if you are a good character...

And... I got something... especially if you fight her in the goblin camp.

She just... runs away.

Have her run and yeet herself into one of the two bottomless pits in her room in the goblin camp if she gets to too low of health... do this in a way where the player is capable of stopping her, or she is capable of escaping, depending on how the players are doing.

Just say... she escapeded, and give her the ability to... Throw a misty step scroll on her.

Ok, maybe not so much yeeting herself into a chasm LOL but I support the overall idea that her current recruitment needs more improvement, so I'm bumping this up :3

They could add a simple cutscene like the one with Auntie Ethel in Act 1 or Mother Superior in Act 3. That would be a more seamless way to incorporate this imo.

Minthara bug list, updated for Hotfix #22.
V
V
Originally Posted by rendemption
They could add a simple cutscene like the one with Auntie Ethel in Act 1 or Mother Superior in Act 3. That would be a more seamless way to incorporate this imo.

Agree, this would be the best way to do it. Her running away would be too OOC for her imo.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Veranis

Agree, this would be the best way to do it. Her running away would be too OOC for her imo.
It would be the easiest way for the player certainly, but I just can't imagine Minthara begging for her life after defeat. Even if the party would grant her mercy, I 'd sooner see her swallow a drow cyanide pill than surrendering.
No, it's only after going back to her general, thinking she was doing well but not able to get the artefact because the goblins are too stupid and unruly to defeat the druids. Retreat to base , reorganize and re-attack, but instead find that she is betrayed, humiliated and tortured. Only this would sway her and get her to ally with anyone fighting the absolute.
So from a game story point of view, I think the current implementation is a good way to do it. From a player point of view it's problematic because you can only find out if it worked after many hours of gameplay. Maybe a solution would be to put a message in the quest journal to confirm that Minthara will be recruitable when you find her again. At least then the player knows that the plan was correctly executed.

Originally Posted by ldo58
It would be the easiest way for the player certainly, but I just can't imagine Minthara begging for her life after defeat. Even if the party would grant her mercy, I 'd sooner see her swallow a drow cyanide pill than surrendering.

Well, nowhere did anyone state she should be begging for her life after defeat. I imagine she would become even more hostile after being defeated. I was thinking more along the lines of her fate being in your hands. They could give us an option to kill or spare her, but not just let her live randomly like the way it's currently implemented.

No, it's only after going back to her general, thinking she was doing well but not able to get the artefact because the goblins are too stupid and unruly to defeat the druids. Retreat to base, reorganize and re-attack, but instead find that she is betrayed, humiliated and tortured. Only this would sway her and get her to ally with anyone fighting the absolute.

Yeah. In my opinion, her "running away" is not entirely out-of-character. Minthara has a high survival instinct, it's been proven several times: 1) She claims she prefers exile to death, 2) She said she doesn't intend to lead a suicidal charge against the druids. Both those points are enough to convince me making a "strategic retreat" is not out of the question for her, especially when she has been brainwashed to think serving the Absolute should be her life purpose.

Maybe a solution would be to put a message in the quest journal to confirm that Minthara will be recruitable when you find her again. At least then the player knows that the plan was correctly executed.

I think this would break my immersion tbh. But everything depends on how Larian would execute it, or if they would even consider improving her recruitment at all.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Maybe a solution would be to put a message in the quest journal to confirm that Minthara will be recruitable when you find her again. At least then the player knows that the plan was correctly executed.

I think this would break my immersion tbh. But everything depends on how Larian would execute it, or if they would even consider improving her recruitment at all.

Yea it would be strange to write that she is going to be recruitable, kind of going against the whole open-endedness and letting the player steer (parts of) the narrative. They could write something more vague along the lines of that she appears to have got away and that you might cross paths again in the future, if they wanted to add some kind of confirmation.

Personally I hope they don't try to force her survival. Other than that I, as a player, knows the game logic and content exists to make it possible, she doesn't feel much different from all the other bad guys you kill who don't get any chance of redemption.

But speaking of Minthara, it's pretty obvious that she is coded differently from other enemies since you can loot all her clothes, including her underwear. And if you knock her out and take a long rest so she wakes up again, she'll just stand in her room naked if you return. Would make more sense if she was gone (and perhaps with some kind of journal entry or voice line that she maybe survived) or at least if the game had spawned some destitute clothes for her to wear laugh

U
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
U
Ok, maybe not so much yeeting herself into a chasm LOL but I support the overall idea that her current recruitment needs more improvement, so I'm bumping this up :3

Why not, stick a scroll of misty step, and feather fall on her, and then... bam... problem solved.

apprentice
apprentice
The easiest way I found to recruit her was by leaving the wilderness and headed through the Under Dark to Moonrise found her in the audience chamber.

I don't fancy murdering Tieflings myself so let the rite of thorns seal the grove.

As she is bugged on Xbox X for the time being I'm not sure if there is any issue with her Act 3 companionship yet as I have to take control of her in Act 2 as she won't follow.
She didn't try killing me like she does with Act 1 recruiters and slid fairly well into camp life.I enjoy her musings

U
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
U
Originally Posted by Ghostsecurity29
The easiest way I found to recruit her was by leaving the wilderness and headed through the Under Dark to Moonrise found her in the audience chamber.

I don't fancy murdering Tieflings myself so let the rite of thorns seal the grove.

As she is bugged on Xbox X for the time being I'm not sure if there is any issue with her Act 3 companionship yet as I have to take control of her in Act 2 as she won't follow.
She didn't try killing me like she does with Act 1 recruiters and slid fairly well into camp life.I enjoy her musings

I feel like you are missing the entire point of this thread.

There is a complete lack of in-world justification possibleor knocking Minthara out, there is no way to know she is recruitable.

So I m just suggesting an alternative, where she is capable of escaping, so we dont need to knock her out at all.

Originally Posted by urktheturtle
Why not, stick a scroll of misty step, and feather fall on her, and then... bam... problem solved.

I mean she already knows Misty Step as a spell so she doesn't need a scroll for it. She could just teleport away. That wouldn't be too entertaining to watch though lol.

D
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
An easier recruitment fix would be for the Guardian to jam her connection to the Absolute upon meeting her, so you don't have to fight her when she penetrates your mind and learns you already have the artefact.

A
old hand
Online Content
old hand
A
If you decide to defend the Grove - where I feel like some protection for her is necessary due to all of the explosives alone - there could be a persuasion roll to tell her that with such a weak army she will never do her Goddess's bidding so she cancels the attack early. This would be in line with her argument in the throne room.

A narration line, that reminds your character that basically all the true souls are brainwashed and how easily you could have been one of them might also help. After all why do you spare her, when you kill the other leaders? For it to make sense in the story, there needs to be a reason apart from her being a potential follower. Do you spare her out of empathy? Because she might be useful later on? Or are you maybe a little bit impressed by her and simply don't want to see her end that way?

Link Copied to Clipboard