Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ok, so I've found in the config.div file that you can make the resolution pretty much whatever you want it. Problem is, anything higher than 1024x768 will make the game crash when you open up your big map.

Strangely, you can use every other feature in that menu, just not the map. The game crashes instantly when you try to switch to the map.

Is there any way to alter the image files of the map or somesuch so that it can work properly and not crash the game when in higher resolutions than 1024x768?

1280x1024 is way too pretty to just say "oh well" and give up trying to find a solution.

oh yea, btw, I'm new. Hi, all

Last edited by Piccolo113; 20/09/08 06:49 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Ok, I know it's strange to answer my own question, but I've found a solution to this issue.

If, for example, you have the resolution info in the config.div file set to 1280x1024, then you must go into the config.lcl file, also in notepad, and alter the resolution info to also be 1280x1024.

It will make the automap literally full screen, with you unable to see the menu borders around it and the interface buttons at the bottom...but the good thing is that you can now have higher resolutions without the game crashing upon use of the automap!

I've tried proportionally lowering the res info in the .lcl file so as to be able to use the interface buttons, but that doesn't seem to work as the game will still crash.

in short: make the resolution info in the config.lcl file the same as the resolution info in the config.div file if you force the resolution past it's normal supported resolutions

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
seriously, i'm really sorry for the triple posting...

another update on the issue...you don't need to edit the config.lcl file at all, all you need to do is this:

When you change the resolution to what you want it to be in the config.div file, make sure that when in the game, you press Q to bring up the quest journal first, THEN press A to bring up the automap. It'll bring up a full-screen map, but the buttons will be across the middle of the screen, kinda out of place.

After having pressed Q first, THEN A, you don't need to press Q first anymore for this time you have the game on. Every time you turn off the game and turn it back on, you'll have to do the "Q then A" thing again.

Either way, i'm just so happy that i figured this out, cause IMO, the game looks better at 1280x1024

Support
Support

Thanks for the updates; I'll have to try that sometime. I played at 1152x864 for awhile (1280x1024 made the text a little small), but opening the automap would crash the game occasionally. Since it didn't happen very often I kept forgetting about it, so switched it back to 1024x768.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I did run into a crash, even doing it this way. but it was one crash in a 20 minute play session...and i was using the map A LOT...

I may have to flip-flop again and say that having the resolution setting in the config.lcl file set to the same as your forced resolution that's in the config.div file might make the crashes even less likely.....but the Q then A thing does greatly reduce likelihood of a crash.

Thanks for the welcome laugh

I never played this game back when it came out, but when I heard about Divinity 2, and read up on it, I just HAD to play the originals before it came out.

I haven't yet ventured into the cursed abbey, but the game is amazing so far

Last edited by Piccolo113; 20/09/08 09:08 AM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, after some hours playing, I've come to realize that the game is much less likely to crash if you always push Q first then A.

Unfortunately, I still can't find a way to solve the problem of the automap crash when in higher resolutions, but at least this helps.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard