Next Thread
Print Thread
#425566 12/11/10 08:43 AM
K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
I always read reviews before buying a game, and everything I read about Divinity 2 made me absolutly skip it. The other day, I don't remember why, I started reading a few forums and user reviews of DKS and finally decided to get it.

Man, what a game. I don't know if the reviews I read were all wrong or if DKS changed it so much, but I think the game is amazing. Not only that, but it is so well polished. Everything works. That's not common even on great games.

I can't believe this game is not more popular. And I'm sorry to tell you, but for what I know, it is not. Maybe because of the first bad reviews. But I got a lot of friends that play computer games and they don't know anything about this game.

Anyway, you got my support, I think it's fantastic, and I played lots of games I can compare it to.

I got some questions I'll leave here too.

1 - Isn't the game too easy? I'm only in the first zone, at level 6-7, and everything dies in 1 hit.

2 - I don't understand the damage differences between the weapons. I check the shop and I see axes that do 6-15 damage for 600g and swords that do 2-3 damage for 1500g
Well, maybe the sword has also a +2% crit, but surely 6-15 is better than 2-3 with more crit.

3 - Following last point, aren't items a bit unbalanced? I love powerful items. But getting a sword with +40 normal damage in the first merchant, and even cheap, kind of makes all the other weapons useless.

4 - Is it possible to respec? I would like to know so I decide between making a solid build or spend points trying out skills. If it is possible, what's the cost, or is it a one time respec? I already searched google about this, but I read both answers, yes and no.

5 - Do books have any use besides lore? Or can I get rid of them?

Thanks!

Last edited by kaltorak; 12/11/10 10:34 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
1. I found the game was of ok difficulty (I was using a bow at the beginning and everything took forever to kill...) until a boss I had to kill would constantly 2 shot me with exploding arrow before I even got close.. then it was too hard frown and I swapped to easy mode to kill him.

2. Weapons seem to have melee damage and magic damage, what that means exactly I have not really bothered to find out >.>; but that could explain the difference in price

3. Later in the game I was 1-shotting groups of enemies with explosive arrows :[ I think at some point in the higher levels I crit for ....over 9000! (really)

4. It is possible takes 5000/10000/20000 etc to respec, never went past that price.. you will get the ability to both respec and bump up the level cap of abilities when you find a trainer later on.

5. Books in the misc section I've never found a use for, the only books that I've seen with a use will either appear in your quest items, or your consumables (skill books)

old hand
old hand
I never listen 2 reveiws coz 90% of the time thay don't have a clue what thay are talking about if I had listened I would never have played Ego Draconis. The only thing I listened 2 was my gut instinct when it said "this sounds & looks amazing come on girl what u waiting for buy the damb thing" & my instinct has never let me down lol. Divinity may not be as popular or as famous as the likes of final fantasy but more people are starting 2 hear of it a lot of my frineds that have never heared of it saw me playing it & went out & got it themselfs after hearing how much I loved it thay know that me being a hardcore RPG/Action Adventure fan that I would'nt give a good reveiw 2 a game unless it really was worth every penny I paid for it.

As for ur thought on the difference between Ego Draconis & Dragon Knights Saga other than the inproved graphics & the modifyed menu their is very little difference other than the layout of some of the flying fortrases later in the game. The story the charactors & missions are all still as they were in Ego Draconis thay did nothing 2 change the game in that way other than add on Flames of Vengence which is absolutley amazing. the fact that this game may currentley only have a small hardcore fan base is sad but even the likes of Final Fantasy only started with thouse few Hardcore Fans at first b4 it became a ledgend of the RPG World. As long as us fans stay loyal & continue 2 convert more to are world Divinity will become a ledgend as well it has great potential & I will stay with it till the end.

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 12/11/10 12:14 PM.
Support
Support

A harder difficulty mode will be added in the next patch. The powerful weapons are a result of lowering the level requirements for some enchantments, which the random item generator also uses; they are also going to look at that for the next update.

You can get rid of most books, especially random lore books that show up in multiple places. By talking to the alchemist, enchanter and necromancer in Broken Valley (once you have found them), any alchemy or enchantment formulas or body parts will get added to their lists (not sure if you have to go into the appropriate function), and any remaining will be duplicates, and can be sold. I kept a list of the best body parts I found handy, so I could sell any lesser parts before talking to the necromancer, to keep his list from getting cluttered.

About a third of the way through the game you get a storage chest and the ability to respec your skills (the price to do so doubles each time; most people in D2:ED, if they respeced, did so once or twice, but there was a practical limit of about 4 respecs, or maybe 5 with a lot of gold farming).

I read reviews, but the details are the only things that matter, not the conclusion/score.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by kaltorak
5 - Do books have any use besides lore? Or can I get rid of them?

Some books have clues on what to do with certain items, like the 3 amulets in one quest or the book you find in the tavern that has clues that leads to other books and finally a skill book, but most seem to just be background material though. I usually end up selling the non-quest books as they tend to take up a lot of inventory after awhile.

old hand
old hand
Most needed books are kept in the quest items tab. 99% of the books are not required for game completion, they offer back story, lore or pure entertainment such as the troll survival guide you can find in the tavern. Some books hint as to what happened to some of the races since Divine Divinity. (Originally called Divinity: Sword of Lies)

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
Most needed books are kept in the quest items tab. 99% of the books are not required for game completion, they offer back story, lore or pure entertainment such as the troll survival guide you can find in the tavern. Some books hint as to what happened to some of the races since Divine Divinity. (Originally called Divinity: Sword of Lies)

Yes, but there are a few non-quest books, like the couple I mentioned, that do have clues on how to solve some non-essential quests in the game. Took me a second playthrough to recognise that some of those books are useful. wink

K
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
K
I have kept playing and just wow... I now own the tower and when you already thought the game was great, you realize there is even much more in it.

Not only is the game great, but the small nuisances other games have, don't appear in this one. Like lacking inventory, long boring traveling, and many other small details like those.

I just emailed my friends telling them that this is my favourite singleplayer rpg since I can't remember when. Over dragon age, fallout, and even oblivion.

I don't agree about the powerfull +X damage stuff though. I don't think it's only a matter of level. Yes, at lower levels it is even worse, since such item can make everything else worthless for 15 levels. But even in higher levels, this single mod is just too overpowered compared to the others.
Why would I want a legendary weapon that does lots of damage, sets the enemies on fire and leeches life, when my 15 levels old weapon has a +65 damage.
Even worse with dual wield. Just beeing able to equip a +65 damage and a +40 damage, beats any other stat on a weapon, including the damage it does.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard