Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
addict
addict
The only thing that would make sense to me is if running Steam was OPTIONAL for any games that decide to use other DRM methods - i.e. Securom Internet DRM, Tages Internet DRM, etc.

Of course - well, Valve doesn't allow the above for Steam currently. All Steam games require Steamworks DRM and for Steam program/client to be running, at the very least.

The only thing that makes the Impulse version better to buy is that Impulse client isn't forced on the player at all to just run the game. Of course, the Impulse and Gameragates versions aren't on sale as cheap as the Steam version.

Last edited by MysterD; 01/01/11 07:44 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
For all the DRM vigilantes, check out the latest piracy stats http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1142183p1.html
There is no way a publisher could read this and then say, oh well you know, we should lessen up security so its easier to pirate. No matter what argument you use, most (not all) publishers will see the piracy stats and go for heavier DRM, until piracy goes downhill DRM will always exist, sorry. BTW, its your loss if you haven't bought this game due to drm, its a great game.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by salad10203
For all the DRM vigilantes, check out the latest piracy stats http://pc.ign.com/articles/114/1142183p1.html
There is no way a publisher could read this and then say, oh well you know, we should lessen up security so its easier to pirate. No matter what argument you use, most (not all) publishers will see the piracy stats and go for heavier DRM, until piracy goes downhill DRM will always exist, sorry. BTW, its your loss if you haven't bought this game due to drm, its a great game.

I'm debating Steam + Securom double DRM-whammy here more so than anything else.

If I bought the game digitally from Impulse, Gamersgate, or Amazon for download, I'd only have to deal w/ Securom DRM - that's fair.

I do find Steamworks all by itself as acceptable.
I do find Securom DRM all by itself as acceptable.

I'm really not a big fan of install-limits put forth on DRM.
IF there's install limits, I'd at least like revokes and de-auth's allowed.

DRM often gets cracked pretty quickly - often before a game is released or not too long after the game is released - which almost makes games having DRM pointless. Steam is one of the DRM's that normally does a better job than most at stopping Zero Day Piracy. The pirates don't suffer from the troubles that come w/ DRM b/c they have a [cracked and unofficial] DRM-less version, while the legit buyer has the official version riddled with DRM. DRM should make the pirates suffer, not the legit game-buyer.

Last edited by MysterD; 02/01/11 07:00 AM.
MysterD #433782 02/01/11 07:18 AM
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
I've noticed that ever since I started playing the game (and I bought it soon after it was released), every time I google it about half the results have been pirated (cracked) downloads.

So as usual, it's only the law abiding people like myself that have to deal with DRM and activations.

I don't condone using the pirated version - Larian did a great job and deserve our money so they can make more great games, but I wander how many sales they lost due to the DRM?

Trippy #433800 02/01/11 09:24 AM
veteran
veteran
MysterD
Steam version has no other DRM except SecuCrap. I play it locally without internets ans Steam.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by salad10203

1. The trend goes against excessive use of DRM, with the exception of Ubisoft. Look at Steam. There are about 1200+ games on the service, and only about 30+ of them use extra DRM. Divinity II is an absolute minority on Steam.

There was one other DRM scheme that was excessive and actually helped - Starforce. Problem was however, it really fucked up your computer. Badly. Thus, that kind of excessive DRM hasn´t been used for years now.

2. Do you think Securom would have helped any of those games even the slightest? DRM like this can only help with one thing - battle day one piracy. After that, Securom only remains in the Steam releases a source of technical problems and restrictions for how you are allowed to use the software you have purchased.

If you have some actual source that says Steam + Securom is noticably more effective against day one piracy than just Steam, by all means, show me that.

Kein #433845 02/01/11 02:56 PM
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Kein
MysterD
Steam version has no other DRM except SecuCrap. I play it locally without internets ans Steam.

Oh, Steam's definitely a version of DRM - one of the fairer and milder ones, in most instances...as long as your offline mode works and as long as you don't get a VAC Ban, basically. wink

Steam doesn't contain additional Black Lists, drivers, or any of that stuff that others such as Securom, Starforce, or Tages contain.

Steam limits one game per your user name - which I think is fine and fair. Though, what makes Steam very fair is it allows you to throw a game on as many PC's as you wish - since it only cares about your unique user name/account.

Last edited by MysterD; 02/01/11 03:00 PM.
MysterD #434604 07/01/11 12:46 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by MysterD
[quote=Kein]MysterDThough, what makes Steam very fair is it allows you to throw a game on as many PC's as you wish - since it only cares about your unique user name/account.

That's one of the big factors for why I choose to buy my games through Steam, it's a nice way to keep a library of your games always available. If you want to play something, just click on the install button, wait for the download, and you are ready to go, no matter which computer you use.

What developers like Larian does when they add Securom is invalidating functionality like this, and they show that they really don't understand Steam, and don't value their Steam customers.

And that's a shame. As it stand today, I don't feel like Larian have made the game available for me, and thus I will keep playing Fallout: Vegas and The Witcher instead. But if they don't want me as a customer, then they don't want me. My money will be spent, but they will be spent on other games.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
At least it's not as bad as Settlers 7 - I thought I'd try something different so bought a copy in the Steam sale, but it still has Ubisoft's notoriously intrusive DRM. I've asked Steam for a refund; some people have had success in doing so. Shame, really, but whereas SecuROM is often a nuisance, Ubisoft's approach is absolutely insane.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #434619 07/01/11 03:00 PM
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Vometia
At least it's not as bad as Settlers 7 - I thought I'd try something different so bought a copy in the Steam sale, but it still has Ubisoft's notoriously intrusive DRM. I've asked Steam for a refund; some people have had success in doing so. Shame, really, but whereas SecuROM is often a nuisance, Ubisoft's approach is absolutely insane.

A lesser evil is still evil.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by YachmenevSWE
A lesser evil is still evil.

True. I hope I didn't seem to be suggesting otherwise.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #434673 08/01/11 02:04 AM
K
journeyman
journeyman
K

veteran
veteran
MysterD
Oh, Steam's definitely a version of DRM

Re-read my previous post again.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by YachmenevSWE
Well, the game is on sale on Steam now, but I and many with me will not buy this game because of Securom. This is because of the following:

1. I have choosen Steam as an acceptable DRM layer because it brings me features that I want - community services, I don´t have to use disc checks, the download services, library featues, etc. By accepting that I have to run the games from the client and my account, I feel that I have done enough from my part. Additional DRM should not be required.
2. Steam games should never come with limited activations, since the features of Steam encourages wast librarys of games and installing/reinstalling on multiple computers. That is the nature of Steam.

Agreed w/ all of the above.

I've never had too many problems w/ Securom - knock on wood - but TWO DRM layers on The Steam version is just flat-out annoying. I've dealt w/ it before, when the games were extremely cheap on sale - luckily, not much problems w/ the likes of Risen, GTA4, and POP: The Forgotten Sands and their additional DRM.

Steam's DRM is not really in its drivers in say the traditional Starforce, Securom, Safedisc, or Tages sense. What Steam's DRM does it that you have to activate every Steam-sold or Steam-required game through Steam. Often, that step doesn't feel like much b/c when Steam's used, we buy a game through Steam while we're online and download it - so that step's basically being done instantly. When we buy a Steam-game at Retail, online activation feels like a Step b/c we have to Register our CD Key, activate that on Steam, then let it install on disc.

Steam keeps track of your account and allows you to run your game on as many PC's as your account is signed into (one). Though, you can have your games installing on as many PC's as you like. And yes - you don't ever have to worry about sticking disc-in-drive to just play a game.

I'll keep my eye on the digital non-Steam versions (Impulse and Gamersgate versions) which only contain Securom, for now, for the time being. I'll also keep an eye on USA Retail, as well. One DRM layer is enough.

Last edited by MysterD; 09/01/11 02:10 PM.
MysterD #434850 09/01/11 08:13 PM
veteran
veteran
I've never had too many problems w/ Securom - knock on wood - but TWO DRM layers on The Steam version is just flat-out annoying.

Sigh.
THE STEAM VERSION OF TEH GAME HAS NO STEAM DRM IN IT! ONLY SECUROM!!!1111OEONE

Kein #440123 05/03/11 10:50 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K
i purchased the witcher the day it came out.
granted this isn't tages but i will never trust a 3rd party drm again.
had to wipe/reinstall windows back then because after i installed, myp pc hard locked and couldnt remove tages driver. even in safe mode i got access violation errors.

it's a shame too.. was really looking forward to playing this frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard