Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I bought the game last year for the 360 and to begin with enjoyed it but mind reading quickly ended the fun for me. The reason for this was the fact that I don't like to miss anything in a game, which meant I felt compelled to read everyones mind. Because this costs XP I found myself saving the game before talking to each NPC, reading their minds and then either carrying on or reloading the game if the information attained was useless. As you can imagine this stopped the flow of the game and ruined what was potentially a good RPG.

I've just ordered the new and improved version of the game and am hopeful that I can come up with a solution to the problem, before it arrives, any ideas would be appreciated?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I'd often wondered about doing the same, but I decided I'd made my choice and I'd stick with it. I'd reload under very specific circumstances such as making a serious quest gaffe, but in this case I figured I would be ruining my own game if I kept reloading, so if I made a decision I'd commit myself to sticking with it.

J'aime le fromage.
D
stranger
stranger
D
I'm also one of those players that likes to find it all and do it all in this game. I get particularly frustrated myself deciding whether or not to spend points on MR skill when there are so many choices for skills points to go (love it). I love this game hehe I'm on my 7th playthrough and just want to enjoy it to the fullest. I've spent a lot of time saving/reloading before MR or opening chests or turning in quests. It does get frustrating, but on the other hand, you have a lot more options and choices available to you and that's always a good thing!

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thanks for the reply. The game should be delivered later this morning, I think I'll be ok with it. I'll just play it by ear.

L
journeyman
journeyman
L
I did the mind reading on everyone I came across and still got to the end of ED being lvl 34 and it wasn't overly difficult if that helps you out at all laugh

Reality is but a shadow of one's imagination, is it not?
addict
addict
The thing with mindreading and, then loading a save is that pretty much any mindread that gets you any benefit (whether immediate, or unlocking/revealing/etc something you'll find later) requires having done the mindread to obtain.

For example, if someone thinks about their secret item stash, that stash won't exist without having mindread them.

The only mindreads that don't work like that are essentially flavor text, and usually priced much, much lower.

M
addict
addict
M
As the XP you get depens on the level difference between you and the monsters, once you reach lvl6-7, mindreading is essentially "free" on the long run. No need to save/reload.

veteran
veteran
I wish only to enjoy the game and for me it means mostly NO reloads, especially not after Mindreading, opening chests etc ... or dialogs with NPC's.

But I don't Mindread each NPC's from the first moment, except if I "feel" I will never see that NPC again :hihi: (for example right before a fight with that NPC ? wink )

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Originally Posted by Joram

But I don't Mindread each NPC's from the first moment, except if I "feel" I will never see that NPC again :hihi: (for example right before a fight with that NPC ? wink )

Some NPC boss will drop piece of armor after their death only if you mindread them before.

Imarion

apprentice
apprentice
So I am assuming that it is best to mindread almost everyone in the game, and is there a log that you can go back to other than the quest log to see what each NPC had said during the mindread?

journeyman
journeyman
well about the mindread:

in the early start of the game in broken valley village first use mind read then go scouting until broken valley church and don't forget about an another small village. mindread the people there
after that turn in the quests they give wink

so basicly it commes down to this:
1 mind read every one to see if they have anything usefull (skill/stat points or passwords)
2: kill every monstor you see and scout out locations like shrines, dungeons etc
3: turn in the quest people have given you;)
4: in broken valey do the maxos temple last!

I'm not God, but I'm close
stranger
stranger
For me, i just find some walkthrough and it will tell you which mindreading is useful..

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard