Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#433919 03/01/11 01:57 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Can someone give me some tips on navigating the world. I find myself running around like an idiot; having no idea where to go to complete any given quest. Thus far finding out where I need to go has been pure luck. My luck and patience are wearing thin!

*hint hint devs* Map makers for quests (all quests!).

AdamThesim #433924 03/01/11 03:05 AM
old hand
old hand
Hello,

You can manually put flags on the map as you find this and label them. It is as simple as a point and a click...ok that is exactly as it is. :P

I hit esc and then choose world map (think there is a short-cut key but forget what it is) and label the map that way.

The arrow on the maps is you showing which direction your facing and the map does have a compas.

There are some quest markers that are given but most you need to make.

Welcome to our friendly group!

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
M
addict
addict
M
The button is the "m" button on qwerty (m for map :D), and "," button on azerty.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi LightningLockey (and other posters)

Thanks for the tips. I know of the "map labeling" feature, however that is only useful once you find the location.

I am more frustrated by the initial "blind search" for the location because there are no markers... but I guess we can't have everything :p

Cheers!

AdamThesim #434218 05/01/11 12:04 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
You play too much WOW silly

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
Shaver #434232 05/01/11 01:52 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Play too much? I don't understand.

AdamThesim #434259 05/01/11 09:52 AM
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
I agree with you Adam the maps are diabolical, even when you find things they are still not put on the world map, which seems only logical, after all you have already found them, I really don't like the map system in this game, its very irritating, and kills the immersion factor. But hey, wait till you try the fortresses, that really is a nightmare. They are on many levels overlaid on each other, and you got it, not marked.
Still, good luck, see you in Aleroth, hope they have an asylum there.

bloodmoon #434262 05/01/11 10:20 AM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Ah, but exploration and satisfaction from discovering something yourself, without hand-holding map markers like oblivion are one of charms of this game.

If they really plan to put map markers in div 3 i hope there will be option to turn them off, so they will not be forced on those who don't want it.

pall #434342 05/01/11 06:36 PM
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Oh come on, after you spent hours looking for something and you found it without any hand holding, the least they can do is mark it on the map, if only for old dears like me who can't remember what day it is.

bloodmoon #434343 05/01/11 06:36 PM
B
apprentice
apprentice
B
Oh come on, after you spent hours looking for something and you found it without any hand holding, the least they can do is mark it on the map, if only for old dears like me who can't remember what day it is.

bloodmoon #434404 06/01/11 05:32 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I would settle for a marker or outline of the area I should be looking in. But as the game is now, I simply find thing through pure dumb luck.

Pall: I'll admit, Oblivion (-loved- that game) perhaps made navigation just a bit too easy! But if Oblivion was too easy, then I am sorry, but this game is too hard. :p

Cheers!

AdamThesim #434413 06/01/11 06:17 AM
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Slightly OT, but I'm reminded of the time I spent what must've been hours in Morrowind wandering round the centre of Vvardenfell looking for the location of some minor Mages Guild quest. Years later I'm still traumatised by it, so as obvious as Oblivion might've been, I'd rather not experience that again!

Actually I think ED strikes quite a nice balance between the two, though it's one of those subjective matters where they're never going to please everybody, I guess.

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #434460 06/01/11 11:47 AM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I also sometimes wish there were more map markers, but i like navigation in divinity like it is now.

I will not have a problem if they will put more map markers in div3, but i hope they won't force it on us.

pall #436682 24/01/11 07:33 PM
J
joh Offline
stranger
stranger
J
At first, I had the same problem. Then I discovered that you can ZOOM OUT on the map. Once zoomed out I saw all shrines, exits and marked locations.

joh #436696 24/01/11 08:10 PM
Support
Support

It also helps if you just explore particular regions, and not worry about doing specific quests if you don't need/want to do them right away. Most of the time in D2:ED when I completed a quest objective it was not something I particularly set out to do (except stuff like small quests in the village at the start of the game where you knew right away where you needed to go, or quests late in the game where you have explored pretty much everywhere).

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard