Next Thread
Print Thread
#440874 24/03/11 06:14 PM
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Did anyone else find not being able to respec your stats annoying? I mean it makes it impossible to change classes, my Archer isn't going to fare very well even with fighter skills thanks to his low str and high dex. So pretty much the only point is if you happen to make a mistake in what skills you want. When I heard you could respec at the tower at the loading screen I thought oh cool I don't have to start over if I wanna be a warrior.

I'll still love the game and Archers are fun, I just wish I could try out a warrior without starting a new game.

Ulundill #440878 24/03/11 09:00 PM
veteran
veteran
I didn't really find it annoying, because I built my characters carefully using the guidance of a FAQ on skills, but the lack of a stat respec definitely makes it harder to change the class of your character.

But starting a new game offers some new advantages, you can try out completely different solutions to some quests.

Ulundill #440879 24/03/11 09:31 PM
Support
Support

Have you tried any melee combat? Save, boost the relevant skills and try it out. With your choice of weapon expertise, Bleed, maybe Life Leech, Evade, etc, your low strength may not make that much of a difference (in D2:ED I found level 1 of Evade helped, but higher levels didn't give as much of a boost per skill point, so I didn't invest further).
If your intelligence is higher than your strength, try with magic based weapons, rather than normal. Other than charms, you could simply boost strength or intelligence the next few levels you go up, in order to improve melee abilities.

In D2:ED, once I was a high enough level that I didn't immediately need to boost a particular stat upon leveling, I started keeping a few in reserve. Trying to take out the level 27 guards in the quarry building before getting the battle tower (in DKS the tower is locked then), I figured extra hit points would help, and put the spare 10 stat points I had into Vitality.
Later I stopped assigning stat points to keep the game from getting too easy, and ended up with 39 spare stat points on level 36.

Raze #440882 24/03/11 09:55 PM
U
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
U
Hmm i havn't tried anything out yet, I guess i'll give melee a shot see if I get my ass handed to me or not. Even if I do Archers are still fun, I just wondered if warriors were more fun.

Ulundill #440890 24/03/11 11:32 PM
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Talking about the stats, I find myself being somewhat bemused by the status screen's totally unforgiving and derogatory comments concerning my stat levels, and their meaning in the wider world. I am currently level 18, and my Strength, at 42, has just barely been given some small amount of respect. My Vitality, however, seems at its current level of 20 to suggest that I am barely able to walk up a couple of stairs.

This to a character that can actully vault, repeatedly, over the village palissade.

I know that it is only flavour text. laugh But when I first read it, it did give me reason to doubt the recruiting policy of the Dragon Slayer's Association...

Last edited by Procrastes; 24/03/11 11:32 PM.
Procrastes #441114 01/04/11 03:51 PM
N
stranger
stranger
N
I got all my stats up to 21 so that the comments would not be too derogatory...

I do not feel too gimped by this, though I am very concerned about my dragon form (I expect that it will not be long before I will be losing health when I convert to dragon form, and my dragon form already does much less damage than my human form, heals slower and has weaker defenses).

needshelps #441266 04/04/11 11:00 PM
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
It hasn't occurred to me to be concerned about my dragon form; should I be? It has gotten the job done in those few aerial battles I've had so far.

I loose no health as a dragon. I keep losing a chunk of health whenever I am in my Battle Tower, though, with no means of healing myself until I get outside (for some reason I can't drink potions or use magic inside my own home). I'm wondering if this is a minor bug, or a side effect of the gigantic poison cloud that wraps the island? Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to pose any danger; I haven't actually bled out or anything.

Procrastes #441289 05/04/11 07:05 AM
Support
Support

You shouldn't need to worry about your dragon form.

In D2:ED health would not regenerate inside the battle tower, and you could not use the healing spell, but could use potions. If the purpose of disabling regeneration and healing was to prevent quick jumps away from combat to heal and return right away, then having potions disabled in DKS within the battle tower isn't unexpected. Actually, I never tried healing in the battle tower in D2:ED until I just went to check that before posting (I did use an intelligence potion, though, so I could meet the requirements to equip a mage set long enough to check it out).

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard