Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I am just curious as to what build(s) you have utilized in this game...?

I have tried:

* Pure Str Warrior
* Range/Mage hybrid

And you?

Support
Support

I played a strength based duel wielding warrior in the original release of D2:ED, so in DKS I started a ranger. When I'm done with that character, I'll eventually start another strength based warrior, using unarmed combat.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Isn't unarmed the weakest though? Won't that be...way too hard, but something tells me you like the challenge. What difficulty?

Support
Support

There's no point in playing a challenging build with an easy difficulty setting; I'll keep it on Nightmare, unless that proves impossible (which I doubt).

veteran
veteran
STR/VIT Shield+Blade Warrior my first game (Normal)
INT based Magic Missile Spammer this second game (In progress, Nightmare). Oddly enough a lot easier laugh.

veteran
veteran
I like to use a variation of a Ranger/Mage with also using melee weapons.
I love the magic spells, using a bow many times and search different strategies wink

I played in the past mostly such builds, but each time with trying other skills ...

this time I go for a Intelligence oriented build, searching for the best magical bows, magical swords etc ... that gives me a good magical damage value & my magical spells are also stronger ...

I play in past on "normal" or just "easy", but since a few months I wish only to play on nightmare mode !
It's fun to have some challenge ! In DKS the flying Fortresses I find so much better comparing them with the original Ego Draconis version ! (and many more things that are better now)

My favorite skills (so far) are:
Summon Ghost, Explosive Arrows, Firewall, Magic Missile, Master Herbalist, Rush Attack, Fear & Stun Arrows. For sure I forget to write down more of my fav skills ... I love almost all skills, difficult to decide which skill I wish to invest more points in ... think
biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Once I get around to recreating my Range/Mage hybrid character I am going to invest in Fear because I think it would be good for CC. And after it wears off, you can just range em down. ^^; But I assume, like Charm, it will lose it's effectiveness rather quickly... \: I will at least keep it until I can respec, haha. Stats for her are going to be: 100 Int, 50 Spir, rest in Dex if possible. But I might end up not making a hybrid and just doing the pures of both areas, unsure right now... >>;

Also, Hassat Hunter, how good is Shield + Sword? I want to try and make a tank type of build whose main focus is absorbing damage or preventing it all together. With high Vit and all the defensive skills I think it's possible... I plan to have something like:

MAX (If possible, and if not, then in order of importance): Sword + Shield Expertise > Defensive Posture > Life Leech > Regenerate > Evade > Reflect > Way of the Wise Wizard > Lockpick

Skills that will get a single point: Firewall, Mana Leech, Whirlwind, Thousand Strikes, Rush Attack, Potion Efficiency, Fatality*

* I think I might end up maxing this though, because I am not going to be able to damage quickly, so the less damage I have to do to get the kill, the better.

My stats will end up being like, 100 Vit, and the rest even with Str/Int for the damage and defense bonus. Though I doubt I will have enough skill points to do what I wish to be done, I will have to compensate with equips, but I shall complete my tank build. ^^;

veteran
veteran
Not sure. Since my first game and still learning I made plenty of mistakes of course. It definitely is harder than a ranger or mage, since you need to get in close, and it's hard to break of combat when started. When using FoV I found Life Leech is key. Doesn't matter how much damage is done to you, just a single trigger gives all of it back to your character, pretty much making you invernable.

old hand
old hand
My very first character in Ego Draconis was a pure warrior. After that, in DKS I've had two mages and one ranger.

I'm thinking of eventually trying another pure warrior again in DKS.

M
addict
addict
M
My first character was a two-handed fighter-mage-priest hybrid.
The second character was a ranger/mage.
Third a full mage.
And now I'm playing a one-handed warrior/priest.

S
S
i like playing a jack-of-all-trades warrior. there's nothing i like more than hurling a fireball, fire an explosive arrow right after, follow up with a ko'ing Whirlwind. and i have my pet <Creature> and Demon falling close behind.

i honestly don't think i could stick to just specific class. :p

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So far out of everyone that's replied, all but me started out as some type of combat warrior. Then Sigs who just did everything. d: I think it's rather interesting that people would rather play a sword swinging hero than a ranger, or mage...at least their first time around. c:

Anywho, I plan on starting a new build tonight, a pure ranger because I have been looking forward to it for awhile. ^^;

apprentice
apprentice
I'm on my first playthrough. Level 9, currently dual wielding and putting 80% into str, 20% into vit. I'll probably go for more of a warpriest character once I gain some more levels.

I'm glad I decided to try this game again, though the beginning has been extremely boring. Hopefully it'll pick up once I get to the tower.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I found Maxos Temple rather bland honestly...but maybe that's because it took all of like, 30min... >>; I thought the lead up to it was good, but just once I was there, it wasn't anything special like I hoped. But the last bit of the temple is pretty fun and hard if you don't realize what's going on. I will say that you need to be about lvl 15 before attempting it, and you need to be observant while inside of it. After Maxos Temple, it's loads of fun though. C: Like you, I'm rolling a dual wield warrior right now. I got Str to 60 and now I'm working on getting Vit to 60. Then I'll prolly get those to 100 through equips and put the rest of my points into Dex for crit bonus, like i have said about a billion times. What are your plans?

journeyman
journeyman
first build I used was pure warrior with no spell casting skills
it's look like this

skiils
rush attack 1
wirhlwind 7
life leach 10
bleed 10
dual wield 13
healing 5
thousant strikes 5