Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#456241 27/06/12 05:44 AM
Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Was looking through my guide and noticed the Stats Book list for FoV was empty. Just making sure this is definitely the case, because if so I'll remove it next update.

Support
Support

At the end of the Hall of Echoes, level 37, I had 98 unused stat points; at the end of the game, level 47, I had 145. That increase is consistent with 40 stat points from levelling, 6 from mindreads, and one from the beggar (didn't eat any talking vegetables). If there are any stat books, I didn't find them.

veteran
veteran
If you're making revisions, I suggest you take a closer look at Firewall. It's a really terrible skill, at least at higher levels. It is terribly underpowered compared to Fireball at equal level. Shorter range, smaller radius, longer cooldown, the damage is done over time instead of all at once. There's just no reason to use Firewall at all in DKS.

You should also change Splitting Arrows to a "must have" skill. It does an insane amount of damage for a standard ranger, especially when you stack your Heightened Reflexes up to 75%, your Critical Chance to 67% and max out Way of the Ranger. I'm talking damage in the range of 50,000 per shot. Every five seconds!

I'd also take a closer look at Explosive Arrows. The damage my ranger was doing with it at Rank 15 didn't come close to the damage you listed in the FAQ. I think it

Your "Valuable Mindreads" section for Flames of Vengeance is missing practically all of the valuable mind-reads. I cover most or all of those in my Let's Play of Divinity 2.

veteran
veteran
No offense, just MY thoughts on this case .

It's very funny to read most players find it (or it seems so, imo!) most important to start investigate HOW their hero can do the MOST DAMAGE (with weapons or skills) and then they say some weapons or skills are "worthless", "useless" or "no reason to go for it" hahaha

For me it really don't matter how much damage I can do with a skill or sort of weapon (or whatever) smile AS long as I have big FUN with the game (quests, skills, trading, etc), I'm happy smile ! Okay, I've my favorite skills too, but in fact I don't believe in useless skills (but I recognise in some situations a skill can be more useful, it depends on your choosen hero & playstyle & your own favorites/preferences, of course).

And to be honest, I like Firewall because it's really handy & funny to use it to break crates, barrels, etc ! Try it out and listen to the sounds of breaking/burning stuff biggrin

I like it to make (and find ways to make) "tactical moves" in a RPG and mostly it's a matter of COMBINE different skills (in a specific way). For example :
if you use Stun Arrows or another skill that "stun" the enemy, use Rush Attack(if you are not close by) & then Firewall and the enemie(or more than one) can't run away immediately and so you get the most out of Firewall (if you really find it important to make maximum damage ) wink

Last edited by Joram; 28/06/12 06:48 AM.

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
veteran
veteran
Oh gee, I'm sorry. I thought that you know, maybe a GUIDE to the skills should, you know, actually contain information about how effective they are. My bad!

I have tried Firewall out. I am so sorry I didn't think of its real purpose as a player-level-15-required crate-destroyer. I thought it should be considered as, wow, a spell to... damage the enemy, in which capacity it is not "worthwhile".

I am considering the full 5 seconds of damage at Rank 15. If you get an enemy caught in it for the full 5 seconds, that's 1860 damage. That's a whopping 2 more than Rank 15 Fireball, and that one doesn't require a "tactical" combination of 2 skills and a weapon swap to use first.

And by the way, I don't make all my heroes as identical cookie-cutter maximum-damage min-maxers. I use different skills even if they are not the most optimal. Dual-wielding is the most powerful weapon skill, but my recent warriors have used the non-optimal Two-Handed and Unarmed specialties. If I make a dual-wielder, I won't use the overpowering +Magic/Damage enchantments. My next warriors will use Intelligence, not Strength, and Healing instead of the overpowered Life Leech. So don't complain that I'm being a boring stuffy min-maxer because I actually suggested a tweak to a recommendation from a GUIDE.

EDIT: I'm not saying that Lancet MUST change his FAQ, I'm just suggesting that since he's making revisions anyway, he might want to take another look at it.

Last edited by Stabbey; 28/06/12 11:45 AM. Reason: added last part
veteran
veteran
It seems to me that you're a "little bit" upset, are you ? hug

Really sorry if I make you upset Stabbey ! I'm absolutely sure you're not a "cookie-cutter maximum-damage gamer" and if so, be free to play as one like that wink

Also: I really can imagine that it can be fun & enjoyable to make an overpowered hero doing tons of damage in 1 hit .
It was stupit that I became a "little bit" angry, again, by reading the word "useless" ! wink

To all gamers now:
feel free to write that a skill or whatever is USELESS, but don't be scared when I give you a "WIPE OUT" :hihi: ...
I've delete that f****ng word out of my dictionary ! evil

JorOm, my evil twin wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Lancet Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Stabbey
If you're making revisions, I suggest you take a closer look at Firewall. It's a really terrible skill, at least at higher levels. It is terribly underpowered compared to Fireball at equal level. Shorter range, smaller radius, longer cooldown, the damage is done over time instead of all at once. There's just no reason to use Firewall at all in DKS.

You should also change Splitting Arrows to a "must have" skill. It does an insane amount of damage for a standard ranger, especially when you stack your Heightened Reflexes up to 75%, your Critical Chance to 67% and max out Way of the Ranger. I'm talking damage in the range of 50,000 per shot. Every five seconds!

I'd also take a closer look at Explosive Arrows. The damage my ranger was doing with it at Rank 15 didn't come close to the damage you listed in the FAQ. I think it

Your "Valuable Mindreads" section for Flames of Vengeance is missing practically all of the valuable mind-reads. I cover most or all of those in my Let's Play of Divinity 2.

Yeah, I've been thinking of rewriting some skills for a while. I tried Firewall a lot last play and it was thoroughly mediocre.

What exactly makes Splitting Arrows so powerful? Is each arrow capable of hitting a single enemy instead of one per enemy? Because the latter is how I always understood the skill to work. If the skill is more like a shotgun, though, then yeah, that definitely sounds powerful.

I'm fairly sure Explosive Arrows' numbers are in fact correct. Unless it was a vague approximation, I believe DKS' damage numbers range from half of ED's damage at a givel level (for earlier levels) to only a third (at later levels). Not that I'm claiming you mistook ED's numbers for DKS', but I remember specifically comparing the numbers in my guides, and deriving that mathematical relationship, so I doubt they're incorrect.

Besides that, enemy ranged resistance probably plays a role in further reducing the damage, and it may somehow factor in your own stats beyond just crit chance and heightened reflexes.

Keep in mind, the numbers are what are given in-game when leveling up the skill. It's the damage output, in yellow text, I believe. You can check for yourself if you'd like (and should be easy if you're already using Explosive Arrows).

As for the Valuable Mindreads section, it covers all mindreads not related to other sections of the guide, such as quests, X points, and so forth. It's basically a catch-all section for mindreads that would otherwise slip through the other parts of my guide. I say as much in the intro to that section.

Support
Support

Splitting Arrows sends a volley of arrows out in an arc (with a larger angle at higher levels), so at point blank range most or all can hit a single target. When I learned Splitting Arrows I could do so up to level 5, which was a one hit kill for common opponents at close range, and very helpful against bosses (even without WotR).
Individual arrows don't seek very much (if at all), but the skill can still be useful against groups at longer distances, especially combined with WotR (most of the arrows may miss, but you can still take out 2 or 3 weaker opponents at a time).

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard