Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#460193 02/01/13 11:45 AM
Lotrotk Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Happy New Year! We're having our collective yearly hangover. Should being drunk in games have any consequences?

(a) Blurred vision? Double vision?
(b) Reduced hit chance ?
(c) Blackouts?
(d) Throwing up?
(e) Having trouble walking straight?
(f) Thinking tough guys are easy targets?
(g) Random singing of old but bad songs?
(h) Falling asleep on someone's lawn?
(i) Casually dropping your pants to random passers by?

Let's see about this:

(a) Most classic scenario. It's a good one.
(b) fine by me
(c) What would there be to forget? Skills? They'll hang you for that (the gamer, that is)
(d) If vomit can be combined with other stuff, nature elements, etc. why not? Vomit bobms instead of smoke bombs? Hilarious! Or one way to stop effects of poiseneous food.
(e) Are you going to implement this? Decreasing speed might work as well.
(f) That's a great idea! Or seeing and hearing things that don't exist.
(g) As long as the Larian Christmas song is included
(h) That and eadaches as well. Disimproved hearing you know?
(i) If mr Nambdar can prove on Youtube this is not exaggerated sure do!

Also, getting drunk should enable a player to sympathize with alcoholics, enabling exclusive quests/rewards. Be sure to have one every now and then.

Lotrotk #460194 02/01/13 01:50 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I can see vomit leading to great combinations in batle scenarios. Enemies will be slipping left and right!

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
M
addict
addict
M
Commands reacting after a random time, or maybe even reacting differently than expected, casting a different spell or moving another way, for example.

Like in Redneck Rampage laugh

Last edited by melianos; 02/01/13 06:16 PM.
Lotrotk #460203 02/01/13 08:58 PM
Support
Support

(d) Throwing up?

In Beyond Divinity poison could induce vomiting in your main characters.

(e) Having trouble walking straight?

There is a chance a character walking on ice can slip and fall, so a drunk fall might not be a lot of extra work.

Raze #460210 03/01/13 08:23 AM
Lotrotk Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've never been a fan of poison

Lotrotk #460212 03/01/13 05:13 PM
veteran
veteran
There are a lot of games that let you drink alcohol in exchange for temporary stat boosts in some areas and detriments in others. I never really bother with those because the boosts usually are never that good, there are usually potions that give the god effects of the alcohol without the bad side effects, and it just ends up being another potion I stuff in my pack and never use, ever.

Stabbey #460226 04/01/13 05:27 PM
addict
addict
As a furious roleplayer, taverns are very important andn unefortunately are really often missused in the video games. They are friendly places where you can meet the locals (yep, peasants...), have a drink, eat good fat food, sing, having s... sorry, fight, break everything, leave before paying the bill and escape the town guards.

I like the idea that getting drunk can get you throwing up, blured your vision, get you not walking straight can change your characteristics (- intel, + strengh).
I have some personnals ideas (some are mentionned above) like having hallucinations (you can fight ennemies and descover the day after that you killed 10 pigs and the farmer is angry). You can get "faked" quest that you should realize while you are drunk... there is a lot of possibilities and I trust Larian (that has shown that they like tu put some unusual things and funny hidden things that only a meticulous exploration can reveal) to do good things with that !!

Just a suggestion, in the game Fable (first of the name, not the 2 shitty things they released after) you have a list with some "succès" like how many drinks you have, how many ennemis of each kind you killed, how many time you married, how many times you threw up... I think that it could be a funny idea to have such a funny list and as Larian like to develop his characters, they might put some hidden quest that you can unlock only by getting more famous among the populace or reaching a certain number of those "achievements"

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Chaotica #460230 04/01/13 06:46 PM
Lotrotk Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I have no idea if Lar is actually considering more stuff to OS at this stage of development, but the idea of having an really tough and epic monster fight and rescuing the damsel in distress only to discover later these were actually a bunch of pigs and a peasant's wife sounds glorious to me. Perhaps one could learn uniqe skills through this, as the sober's mind is simply not able of imagining a power this complex.

"It appears that in your state of drunkness you have used the elemental powers bestowed on you to transfrom the farmer's lead cettle into gold. How unfortunate you now have no idea how to replicate the spell!"

Lotrotk #460251 07/01/13 10:49 AM
veteran
veteran
Let's say you're drunk, you "think" you can more and you're not (so) afraid anymore while drunk ... :
all enemies that use "Fear" on you it doesn't work (if this spell, or another similar spell, is in D:OS, this can be a good strategy) ... but of course drinking to much alcohol has more than one effect on your character ! wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #460429 16/01/13 07:33 PM
addict
addict
I really like Lotrotk's tale !! it reminds me "the black cauldron", the disney movie. It would be a really nice hidden adventure laugh

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Chaotica #460446 17/01/13 08:34 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
Drunk = distorted Perception ? wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
I can think of few RPG's where being drunk actually had any major effect. Most RPG's that allow you to drink introduce a brief blurry visual. Others have your character suffer a temporary reduction in statistics when you drink. For example, drinking in Neverwinter Nights would lead to your character's intelligence draining and if it drained below 9, your character would speak like an idiot in conversations (which is also possible if you've created a character with intelligence below 9 too).

In The Witcher (from what I recall) drinking would give Geralt a temporary boost in strength during fist fights but he would struggle to walk outside of combat, visuals blurred and drinking too much would cause him to pass out where he would awake hours later (possibly at night putting him in dangerous situations with roaming enemies).

Divinity 2 had the worst drinking system ever. The Dragon Knight seems immune to the toxicity of alcohol and actually benefits from them by having his/her mana restored upon consuming such beverages.

The blurry visual feature is useless. If you're going to introduce penalties for drinking then introduce proper penalties rather than some useless visual that lasts for a few seconds. I believe Red Dead Redemption had a drunk system (like GTA) where simply walking was hard and would lead to John falling over numerous times. Add a system like that (just to mess around in towns) if you're going to add anything.

Of course in a game with a perceptive like Original Sin, other penalties could be imposed. Sickness, passing-out (with some hilarious consequences as described in the OP) and reduced statistics would suit a "drunk system" in Original Sin. Perhaps the benefits of being drunk could be that your character gains more resistance to damage.

Last edited by Demonic; 18/01/13 11:22 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard