Next Thread
Print Thread
R
Rhiyo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Though we haven't seen much of the game yet, from what I've seen I think the game could work well using the controls of a tablet pc. I'm considering getting a Windows 8 Surface Pro and I'd love to utilize the tablet fully whilst playing this game... because there isn't many Windows games that properly support tablets.

Civilization 5 has a seperate EXE to run if you are using a tablet and from what I've read it works great! I'd love to see something similar in this game if it isn't too hard to implement.

Do you think would be a good idea if it'd be easy to do? This seems like a great game to implement it with.

To make it clearer, I'm talking about Windows PCs with tablets controls, which would not need a Port, just a modification of the controls

Last edited by Rhiyo; 13/05/13 09:18 PM.
I can not imagine it would be easy to do. Not only do the controls need to be completely tuned, also the graphics will need to be hugely modified. A tablet just hasn't got the power that a PC or laptop has.

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
R
Rhiyo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Considering it's a turn based game controlled via mouse click, I'd assume the controls would be much easier to tune to touch (Well not easy, but easier in comparison to other games).

And today's tablets are quite powerful, especially the $1000+ range including the Windows Surface Pro, though I don't know the specs the game will require, there's no doubt in my mind the game will at least run in the lowest settings on a WIndows Surface Pro and similar tablets.

I just really think this game would be great to play on a tablet from the looks of it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Yeah, I think this is a good idea as windows based tablets are going to be more popular over the next few years and this is the ideal game to play on a tablet. However as Dexyd pointed out tablets typically don't have a decent GPU but this will change as tech gets better. Current windows 8 tablets with x86 based CPU's only have basic 'onboard' video which I imagine will be insufficient. The ARM based ones are a different story though but they won't be able to run the game unless it's ported.

There are some Android phone / tablet RPG games with great graphics - Heroes Call & NOVA come to mind and these games runs fine on my basic dual core phone and that does not even have the Nvidia chip. Great graphics on android and apple based tablets is possible but windows devices seem to need more powerful hardware just to run the operating system.

I wonder if anyone has tried Divine Divinity on a windows tablet or touchscreen PC - something like Acer's Iconia Tab W500 running windows 7? I can't see why not D:OS can't be run on such devices; the only limiting factor is the graphics capabilities.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

veteran
veteran
Maybe, but it probably would not be possible to have it done on release. Porting is quite a bit of work.

enthusiast
enthusiast
A port to ARM based devices would be nice but yes, it would involve a lot of work. Only the controls and maybe graphics would have to be tuned though for it to run on windows x86 based tablets such as those laptops that can convert to tablets that HP and Dell are currently selling. You'd have to buy a high end model though as the cheaper ones are lacking in performance.

But if Larian put a touchscreen friendly control system option in there from the start then it gives people who own good enough hardware (or buy it in the future) the option of playing it in tablet mode.

Don't forget Windows 8 comes in versions that will run on ARM architecture and x86 / x64. Win 8 tablets are based on standard x86 PC architecture and some are ARM (such as used in Android devices) and they are very, very different. Windows Surface RT is for ARM devices only and won't run PC games. Windows surface pro is x86 (PC) based and uses an i5 CPU and will.

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

old hand
old hand
Actually it is kind of sick but the gpu of some of the newer tablets/phones are actually quite powerful so I don't think graphics will be an issue (though I suspect that Larian home grown engine wasn't design around such - a lot of folks are using unity which supports both pc and tablets (as well as linux) which is how a lot of them are supporting tablets).

Interface is another story - to be honest I've not enjoyed many games on a tablet - esp adventure/rpg type games but I know a lot of people say they enjoyed bg1 on tablet so that might just be me (then again I don't much care for controllers either - which is why i mostly just play kb/m pc games).

R
Rhiyo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
I just think more games need to support tablet controls, and this game looks like it might blend well with them, especially considering it's turn based. I also really like how Civ 5 supported tablet controls.

journeyman
journeyman
There may well be tablet versions of the game if it sells well after release. But I doubt they'll be in there from the start, since it wasn't mentioned in the Kickstarter.

R
Rhiyo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Yeah maybe not, it's just a feature I'd love in the future. Is there any way to contact Larian via Kickstarter or something and put in my interest for this? Or is this thread as best as I can get.

veteran
veteran
I don't know if the demand for a port to tablets is big enough to justify the efforts. Tablet games are usually sold for less than $10 and D:OS is a full-price PC game ($40 at release). So I don't see D:OS on the tablet market soon. Maybe later if the demand for a game like that on tablets is big enough and the hardware of tablets is keen enough for mass market.

WOOS
enthusiast
enthusiast
A windows surface pro based tablet would not need a port as it is already PC based. It would probably just need the control system modifying. But if Larian put an option for touchscreen control in there at release then players who own such devices can enjoy it on their systems.

If Larian wanted to port it to non PC based tablets in the future then that's up to them but yes, you are right they would have to charge a lot less for it.

What I'm getting at is them simply catering for touch screens as a control system input method. There's all-in-one computers that use touchscreens as well & touch screen laptops / tablet hybrids such as the Lenovo Yoga.

R
Rhiyo Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
There is a severe lacking of decent Windows games that support tablet interaction, so if Larian could deliver on something like this, they'd be doing a huge favour for this currently niche market, and might also get a few more sales for those who want a decent game using their tablet controls.

Link Copied to Clipboard