Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#474204 27/09/13 12:22 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I am over encumbered . It started in half through Maxos Temple and now I have just begun Sentinel Island. I have alot of good stuff that I cannot yet use due to level limitations on the equipment, so I don't want to destroy it or sell it. Is there a place to stash it? Is the guy that is trying to sell me a house gonna hose me? Wondering if I can keep stuff there? I realize there is an encumbrance skill, but I believe I must be getting close to the Battle Tower for myself so I have been hesitant to get rid of stuff or invest in a skill that I soon won't use. Any suggestions? Thanks

On a side note - Great Game!! I love a game with that rewards exploring! I have started the game a couple times before and never even got to Lovis' Tower. The beginning was a little ho hum for me. This time I kept playing, and that is the area that really took off for me. Thanks Larian.

allthumbs #474205 27/09/13 12:41 PM
veteran
veteran
Nowhere to stash stuff. You'll have to sell or destroy things. My guess is that you have an inventory stuffed with Ores, Gems, Plants and Potions.

My recommendation is to sell off Ores, Gems, Plants and such that you don't think you'll need - which grant bonuses for equipment that doesn't interest you.

Get rid of your smaller potions that have the small boosts, you can only have one potion of the same type active at a time.

Get rid of your Iron Ore, Moonshine, Holy Basil, and Oak Tears, as they're all useless. If you need some later, it's easy to find. You can probably also ditch your Droxlerite, and Fossil samples as well.

Alchemy Ingredients

Healing Potions: Ginseng
Mana Potions: Earth Root
Rejuvenation Potions: Ginseng, Earth Root
Strength Potions: Farhangite
Dexterity Potions: Fatfern
Intelligence Potions: Stardust
Armor potions: Whisperwood

Potion Quality 3-5: Black Rose
Potion Quality 6-8: Dragon Nail
Potion Quality 9-10: Fanny Blossom

Weapon Enchantments:

Base Gemstone:
Life Leech: Amber
Poison: Aquamarine, Venom Stone
Fire Curse: Crystal
Mana Leech: Emerald
Increased Physical Damage: Moonstone
Increased Magical Damage: Diamond
Butcher: Obsidian
Spontaneous Combustion (Jewellery): Diamond

Armor Enchantments

Base Gemstone:
Increased Mana: Opal
Life Line: Pearl
Melee Protection: Pyrite
Ranged Protection: Quartz
Magic Protection: Ruby
Magic Damage Aura: Topaz
Retribution Aura: Spinel

Weapon/Armor Ores:

Rank 1-2: Iron
Rank 3-4: Droxlerite, Fossil
Rank 4-10: Red Ore (Weapons) OR Venom Stone (Armor)
Rank 5-6: Gold Ore
Rank 7-8: Droxlerite
Rank 9-10: Black Rock
Rank 10: Malachite Gem, Malachite Ore

Jewellery Ore:
Rank 1-10: Gold Ore
(All Jewellery enchantments (except spontaneous combustion) require Gold Ore.)

Jewellery Enchantments:

Healing Aura: Malachite Gem, Sapphire
Retribution Aura: Spinel
Static Charge Aura: Tiger’s Eye
Damage Aura: Topaz
Magic Damage Aura: Topaz
Poison Aura: Aquamarine, Venom Stone

Stabbey #474209 27/09/13 02:37 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks Stabbey. It sucks you can't stash stuff. Thanks for the recipes. One other thing - where can I find how much an item weighs?

allthumbs #474211 27/09/13 03:35 PM
C
C
There is no weight restrictions, you can carry 100 armors if you want. It is a number restriction. 100 items without the encumbrance skill and 20 more/point in encumbrance. Also, you can respec for 5000 gold at the battle tower, so if you take encumbrance now, you can buy the skill back at the tower, that's what I do. 5000 is nothing in this game.

Edit, It's another 5000 each time you do it though, so don't respec more than once or twice or it "does" get expensive.

Last edited by crpgnut; 27/09/13 03:36 PM.

'nut
crpgnut #474217 27/09/13 04:52 PM
Support
Support

Actually, the price to respec doubles each time, so doing so more than 3 or 4 times might be difficult (generally once or twice should be plenty, though).

I usually kept quest related books (even if they were just added for info or atmosphere), but sold ones that show up in randomly generated loot, etc (like the different 'History of' book series). If you check the consumable section of your inventory, you may have a stat/skill book there you can use to fee up some space. Any required books should be in the quest item section of your inventory, though there are a couple books which you can read yourself to get a bonus or give to someone to complete a quest. In any case, after you've read a book you can sell or destroy it (as long as it is not marked as a quest item, in which case it doesn't count towards your inventory limit).

If you have any creature parts you only need to keep the best of each type. I kept a list of my current top part stats handy so I could sell any lesser versions before talking to the necromancer (and working on the creature), so I wouldn't clutter up the part list when any new pieces I had with me were added. In DKS/D2:DC creature parts can also get added to the necromancer's list from any merchant's inventory, if you sell or buy anything in that section of the inventory (and maybe just switching to it).
You can get rid of potion and enchantment formula by talking to the alchemist and enchanter (any left in your inventory after going into the alchemy or enchantment functions will be duplicates, and can be sold).

Alchemy plants and enchantment gems and minerals are easy to acquire after getting the battle tower, so (as Stabbey said) you can get rid of any you are not going to use. Keep malachite gems, since there is a limited supply in the game, and ginseng (etc) for healing potions, but if you have multiple stacks of the same item, you can safely get rid of the extra stacks. Iron, whisperwood and fatfern are fairly common, for example; you can make more money with the latter two if you make level 1 or 2 Full Resistance or Dexterity potions, and sell the potions rather than just the ingredients.

If you have any equipment that you are hanging onto because it might be good once you get higher level enchantments or better charms, by the time you do you will most likely also have found equipment with better base stats (my first game in the original release of D2:ED I hung onto lots of stuff I ended up just selling later).

Raze #474224 27/09/13 05:34 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I did not realize the restriction was based on quantity, not weight. That helps. Thanks

allthumbs #474231 27/09/13 08:07 PM
C
C
Because I'm dumb, I forgot to mention: 30 oak tears, diamonds, etc all count as 1 inventory slot. Skill books, stat books, etc are the exception. These take one slot each, iirc. Raze will know for sure.

'nut
crpgnut #474240 27/09/13 11:46 PM
Support
Support

Yes, if you have less than 50 alchemy or enchantment ingredients, they stack and only count as one item. Books do not stack, even those of the same type (stat/skill books, etc).

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard