Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
But that's okay. I think announcing they'd have it ready in December was very bold.

Let's be clear: I think Larian has an incredible team and they are working very hard. I am very excited for this product. I am only making this post because it is now time for fans to temper their expectations. The toolset will not be ready for December.

If the toolset was able to be shipped in December, there'd be more signs. Screenshots going up, videos would be more inclusive, documentation on a wiki would already be going up. Already there would be users invited in closed test to come test it. The groundwork for releasing the toolset would need to be happening in the next few days, but unless something changes before early next week, we'll just have to be ready to accept the toolset release date slipping.

Let's be clear: the toolset is close! Very close. For inexperienced people they might even be ready to say "there's like 50 hours of work left, tops." But I have learned never to trust a young smart man when he offers up his thoughts on how much time is left. He's too smart, of course it all seems like only molehills left to cross.

But with 16 days to go before December, that's not enough time to quash the bugs, and do QA on multiple systems, just to get the toolset consumer ready. In order for that to happen, multiple people would have to be dedicated, full time, to toolset polish.

Larian is in crunch time. They do not have people to spare on that.

Now I could be wrong about this (but after ten years of watching studios like this one get ready, I rarely am) and that would be amazing. It would be a testament to Larian's already incredible skills and dedication to their products. But at this point we need to be good fans, and expect that this might not happen. It may. There might be an update on Friday that has all the signs I said should be there if they were ready.

But now is the time to be good fans and tell Larian we are okay if they slip the date for releasing the toolset.

Last edited by J.Thurlow; 15/11/13 03:00 AM.
Support
Support

But with 16 days to go before December

I didn't assume a Dec 1st release, though that could theoretically happen (it doesn't have to be 'consumer ready', just alpha player ready). With the alpha expected this month, presumably when it is released some of the people working on documentation or QA, etc, for that could be assigned to work on the editor.

enthusiast
enthusiast
It's always sound advice to temper expectations though... It'll come when it comes, soon enough I'm sure. Yet I don't expect rioting in the streets if it does get delayed, for whatever reason (some unforeseen circumstance, Swen's pet goldfish getting sick or whatever).

I was under the impression that it would be arriving in a fairly rough & ready state anyway (an alpha editor as it were) from what I recall of the update.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
old hand
old hand
I dont know about the toolset, but there are things coming up shortly. At least according to Swen's twitter:

Swen Vincke ‏@LarAtLarian 15 Nov
And just like that, we're getting Divinity:Original Sin prepped to be played by the outside world - soon, so very soon smile

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
FYI,

Lars from the kickstarter page:

There is no big issue other than us needing a bit more time. What we're doing now is pretty much cleaning up, debugging, balancing things a bit and inserting some features like a main menu, graphic options and even a mini-map. It's stuff that we've been postponing until the end because we didn't need it for development purposes, but now that we're nearing the end and we want to let you play it, we just have to add all of those things. They are not a lot of work, but they take some time. Anyway, you'll be able to judge yourselves soon enough

I note what I said last time:

For inexperienced people they might even be ready to say "there's like 50 hours of work left, tops." But I have learned never to trust a young smart man when he offers up his thoughts on how much time is left. He's too smart, of course it all seems like only molehills left to cross.

Of course a minimap, graphics options, main menu... these are not molehills. There's at least a week worth of work to be done.

Link Copied to Clipboard