Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Back before I got my steam and GOG versions of the game (and admittedly, pre updated anything, if there were ever any updates available) this game was pretty darn challenging, even on 'Easy' (actually, I don't think difficulty did anything, they all were about the same).

I always had a fun time dying constantly to overpowered monsters (and some that were invincible, see: Ambush Orc Drummer). Like, I learned to fear the big orcs and the big skeletons and everything because they could sometimes just one shot you, no matter how good you were at the time.

All of those monsters seem to be absent with the latest versions of DD that have come out. I'm not saying that's bad, but I still kind of miss the challenges that they brought against me. Watching your heath bar go from full to like <10% was always exhilarating.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and/or miss this?

Support
Support

There were several updates (release notes) for the original disk version of the game (1.29). There were differences in the difficulty levels, with the 1.32 patch making the bosses and some regular opponents easier on the easy difficulty. I didn't change the difficulty with the same character, but a survivor on hard was noticeably harder than a warrior on normal, at least.

When I first ran into the orc drummer I couldn't damage him faster than he could heal, but he couldn't hurt me, either. Meeting the travelling merchant on the path to the cursed abbey, I bought a better sword (with a Stun bonus, as well), and went back and easily defeated the orc drummers.

I don't think the download version did anything to the opponents or difficulty levels. Do you just have a better build, having played it before, or maybe a couple lucky equipment drops helped?

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Not sure if I just have a better build or not. But I remember this one orc drummer that I could never kill, even with my level 50 character (yes, killed everything and did all the quests before I moved on to become the divine). Even with the dragon armor set (or better armor) I was never able to kill the guy. This was the one orc drummer that appears when you follow the gold trail up along the Aleroth stream, I think it was above the orc camp. He had a ton of health and did tons of damage too, and damn do the drummers attack swiftly and accurately.

Also, I lied when I said that I did all the quests, I never did the 'Help lenny find shrimpo' quest or whatever it was called. Never could figure out what I was supposed to do and forgot where I got it, so yeah lol.

I'm sure that in the later versions of the game (gog, steam), these creatures don't exist anymore (i.e. have been nerfed).

Support
Support

If you couldn't kill the orc drummer on level 50, that sounds like a bug.

The Shrimpo quest is gotten as you leave the graveyard after getting out of Iona's dungeon. It can be solved in the graveyard.
In the north east part of the graveyard there are a set of gravestones in a rough circle...[spoiler]read in the correct order, the first letter of the names on each tombstone spell out S H R I M P O.
[/spoiler]

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard