Next Thread
Print Thread
Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
These hairstyles..

[Linked Image]

There are a few problems I have with them, but I'll start with the main one. Quite a few of them look like lego-hair pieces. That is, they're hovering too far above the head of the character model. They don't look like they're properly attached, but instead end up looking like bad wigs.

Is there any way they can be sunk down into the head a bit more? I believe this alone would do wonders for a number of the shown styles. The very last picture (right side, bottom row) is a good example of a hairstyle that has been lowered into the character's head enough that it looks like it's actually a part of it. Many of the others should follow that example.

Beyond that.. I will never understand why (when it comes to male avatars) so much work is put into comical hairstyles. Outside of entertainment-based "Let's Play" videos, do that many gamers really make use of them? Why can't the game have more normal hairstyles instead?

However, even when the hair style is more "normal" (middle of top row is an example of your stereotypical weatherman haircut) it ends up really bad examples of them. That particular model, for instance, screams Supercuts + "I haven't washed this in three weeks". And I can't blame time-period realism when all the female avatars are sporting beautiful, elaborate hairstyles.

Is there any chance some (quite a few) of these could get some polish?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Wow you spend a lot of work showing them all, and looking at them now there is also a distinct lack of "normal" hair-styles. In medieval times surely cutting hair is no issue, but how would they style these hair-styles like that? There ought to be some less stylized hair choices so that we can at least look somewhat realistic if we wanted to wink

Also the female hair styles require the same thing, a few normal non-stylized hair-styles to choose from...

In the last backer video they talked about still fixing and working on hair-styles... wonder if that includes adding at least a few more normal ones? ;P

stranger
stranger
I really miss a bald option.

Today's pig is tomorrow's bacon.
addict
addict
I wonder if there will be a hairdresser in game...

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Chubby
I really miss a bald option.

so do i - after all there is bald avatar pic so donno why there is no bald option

also i suggest a guy with a permanent hoodie - i loved those in NWN

Last edited by Fanest; 04/04/14 10:43 AM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
I agree that most of these hair styles are out of place.
Is it just me or is the whole art direction of Original Sin much more comical compared to Divine Divinity? Honestly, I adored the darkly-detailed HUD and UI in DD, with the angels and snakes and skulls and blue and embroideries etc. wink

addict
addict
well I really like that we have the choice between "classical" haircuts and "completely crazy" ones... (not even mentionning the colours XD)

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I can understand offering "crazy" hairstyles, but it just seems like that represents the majority of them.

In real life I wouldn't be caught dead with more than 3 of those hairstyles, if that. It just seems like that for female avatars artists try to make as many cute/pretty/sexy hairstyles as possible, and then for male avatars it's all about "how many different ways can we make the player laugh".

enthusiast
enthusiast
Speaking as a 3d-modeler I can tell you it's very very hard to make normal male OR female hairstyles in 3D... stylized hair-styles are much easier. Clean outlines and flow, very easy to "sculpt" .. and so these hair styles are all clearly sculpted, which is why they are all 1 solid block with no texturing aside from color/normal map. This is a very cost effective way to do hair (not meant negative, for a game like this, I can totally understand why they do it that way)

Realistically, if you wanted "real" hair on the characters, you'd need to spend SUBSTANTIAL amount of time actually modeling the hair flow (or at least model the hair strands, and let a physics plugin "settle" it), alpha mapping the ends, making sure they cast shadows and overlap nicely and all that. It is not easy, and would be really, really hard work, unless they have a specific hair modeler/texture artist.

A
stranger
stranger
A
The choice of male hair was quite disappointing. I am sure they will add more, as this is early beta, but stil it worries me.

Most games never seem to include just regular styles. Instead opting for the goofy and almost anime-type hair that is very unappealing to my serious taste. If they included a few short styles--cropped, buzzed, and slightly spiked, I would be happy. Hopefully without "playful", sashy bangs that defy gravity.

A soul patch beard option would be nice also. My wizard's gotta have one of those!

I love the game so far, just worried about this.

Gyson Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
Speaking as a 3d-modeler I can tell you it's very very hard to make normal male OR female hairstyles in 3D... stylized hair-styles are much easier. Clean outlines and flow, very easy to "sculpt" .. and so these hair styles are all clearly sculpted, which is why they are all 1 solid block with no texturing aside from color/normal map. This is a very cost effective way to do hair (not meant negative, for a game like this, I can totally understand why they do it that way)

Realistically, if you wanted "real" hair on the characters, you'd need to spend SUBSTANTIAL amount of time actually modeling the hair flow (or at least model the hair strands, and let a physics plugin "settle" it), alpha mapping the ends, making sure they cast shadows and overlap nicely and all that. It is not easy, and would be really, really hard work, unless they have a specific hair modeler/texture artist.

Yep, I'm very aware of the limitations of hair for avatars in games. smile That said, there are (within those limitations) examples of hair that is well done, and hair that isn't, and many of the samples shown in the original post are leaning towards the latter.

Here are some male hairstyles from another game:

[Linked Image]

Now, some of them are similar to the ones in Divinity : OS. And while the image above has it's share of "odd" hairstyles, some important differences are:

1) The hair is fitted better to the head, making it look like it's a part of it rather than a tacked-on Lego helmet. This alone would be of a great help to many of Divinity's existing hairstyles.

2) There is a decent selection of "normal" styles available, rather than being mostly zany/humorous.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am seeing clear technical differences there. Alpha mapping, soft transitions via head-texture swap, specific modeling of hair with base head meshes for certain styles. (ie, 1 base head-mesh, various variations based on it)....

Basically, that seems to come from a AAA title ;p

I
stranger
stranger
I
I love the art in the game,
Though I didnt quite find my desired hairstyle I was able to customize my characters in a good enough way!

One thing I do miss are beards. Is it possible to have more beardstyles?

Link Copied to Clipboard