Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#493762 07/05/14 04:18 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I still wonder which high-level spells we will get for Witchcraft.

Personally, I hope for some "death spells" like I suggested before on other topics.

The positive side effect to that would be that witchcraft can't be really well combined with other magical schools (like fire+earth or water+air for powerful elemental combinations). In that case you would have to decide whether you want to take with you an elemental mage with good party support and crowd control or a witchcraft mage skilled in necromancy and death magic who is able to take out single enemies but without much party support or crowd control abilities.

What do you think?

WOOS
LordCrash #493764 07/05/14 05:15 PM
veteran
veteran
The list of witchcraft skills from the beta launch changelog. Ones not seen in the beta are highlighted in Purple.

- New Witchcraft skills:
+ Oath Of Desecration
+ Malediction
+ Enfeebling Touch
+ Bloodletting
+ Blind
+ Absorb The Elements
+ Summon Undead
+ Summon Armoured Undead Decapitator
+ Destroy Summon
+ Vampiric Touch
+ Drain Willpower
+ Mass Weakness
+ Horrific Scream
+ Enfeeble
+ Death Punch
+ Invulnerability

Witchcraft does not combine well with elemental magic schools, but it does a bunch of physical debuffs, so it seems like the intended role is a caster meant to synergize more with a melee attacker.

I'm not sure what "Death Punch" is, but it has Death in the title.

LordCrash #493765 07/05/14 05:24 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Cool, thanks for the list, haven't seen that one before. wink

Death punch indeed sounds like a spell that could seriously damage or kill a single enemy. I'm looking forward to that.

WOOS
LordCrash #494452 08/05/14 04:43 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
+ Horrific Scream

Wilhelm?

LordCrash #494465 08/05/14 07:33 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I think I love witchcraft the best in game. The Elemental type of magic skills just felt kinda weak to me. Most of the mobs either had a higher resistance or the spells were just underpowered. The melee felt much more superior to any magic. And in a tandem with witchcraft your melee skills can just make you an unstoppable butcher. Not that like everyone didn't feel overpowered. I think everyone who reached lvl 7-8 pretty much destroyed every living being in DOS.

LordCrash #494468 08/05/14 07:46 PM
C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Does anyone think elemental schools actually synergise? Earth and fire just means you get poison pools turning to fire areas, which isnt that big a deal when you have firefly and fireball. I know water and air go well because of the stun, but it doesn't sound that amazing compared to fires massive aoe.

I found fire and water a great combo because anything resistant to fire is incredibly weak to water, so theres a kind of hidden synergy. Having a few points in witchcraft was awesome because of the buffs/debuffs you can stack on harder targets.

Could all be different with the higher tier spells.

chimp #494478 08/05/14 09:24 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Witchcraft does not combine well with elemental magic schools, but it does a bunch of physical debuffs, so it seems like the intended role is a caster meant to synergize more with a melee attacker.

You missed the starting summon; wolf. Very useful, as the attack is only 2AP, and it gets a lot of AP - also has a decent chance to cause bleeding.

Originally Posted by chimp
Does anyone think elemental schools actually synergise? Earth and fire just means you get poison pools turning to fire areas, which isnt that big a deal when you have firefly and fireball. I know water and air go well because of the stun, but it doesn't sound that amazing compared to fires massive aoe.

I found fire and water a great combo because anything resistant to fire is incredibly weak to water, so theres a kind of hidden synergy. Having a few points in witchcraft was awesome because of the buffs/debuffs you can stack on harder targets.

Could all be different with the higher tier spells.

Yes. One of the draw-backs to Witchcraft is that 'haste' gives +heat (i.e. moves the recipient one stage up the burning ladder). In one area
flame fired burning zone up to the two-headed giant fire elemental
this will actually set your characters on fire if used, even if you've well-watered the areas with rain.

I was level 10 by then, so I just shrugged it off though wink

Last edited by SteamUser; 08/05/14 09:25 PM.
LordCrash #494480 08/05/14 09:33 PM
veteran
veteran
Summon Wolf is an Earth Magic skill, not Witchcraft. The default Witch starts with a point in Earth Magic, which is why she gets the wolf.

I'm also pretty sure she doesn't get Haste normally, she needs to spec into Fire first.

Stabbey #494521 09/05/14 02:30 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Summon Wolf is an Earth Magic skill, not Witchcraft. The default Witch starts with a point in Earth Magic, which is why she gets the wolf.

I'm also pretty sure she doesn't get Haste normally, she needs to spec into Fire first.

Thanks for correcting my memory.

All in all, this makes a pure Witch build even less viable, given those two spells (+damage buff) were her mainstay casting early on.

Link Copied to Clipboard