Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#504647 01/07/14 03:58 PM
addict
OP Offline
addict
hmmmm this book has blank pages, is it a bad joke? the ghost ask me some questions about the book but it is empty...

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
P
P
Solution to questions:

Agree to #2
Agree to #2
Agree to #1

addict
OP Offline
addict
well thanks for the solution smile but my point is : is that the result of developper's madness or a bug? :p

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

journeyman
journeyman
This is a known issue that will be fixed in the next patch.

addict
addict
I got the questions wrong (obviously) and now the guy is gone. Is there a way to make him come back so I can be tested again?

addict
OP Offline
addict
I don't think so unefortunately, I tried already...

-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

addict
addict
which ghost?

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
veteran
veteran
He is located in Cyseal's graveyard and only appears when you dig his grave...

WOOS
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
This is the text of the book:
The Philosophy of Death

Let us briefly discuss life and death, the great opposites; the great equals.

Death is greater than life, so sayeth the priest, for in death comes the gods' just reward. But if this be true, whether that reward shall be the solace of heaven or the agony of hell is decided during one's lifetime and therefore life is much greater than death, for it is the decision maker.

And what of those who care not for the gods, who question the afterlife; the existence of deities? Life is life's own goal they say; a wise sentiment I echo, and that even priests would do well to heed. But O how often does doubt assail these revellers of life! How often does fear approach with the creeping of the shadows... So great becomes the looming horror that death becomes larger than life and death becomes the greater force.

Forget the promise of gods I say, but defy the fear of oblivion as well, for only if life and death become each other's equals can the philosophy of death become one of life. Death is the instigator of faith and fear, but only if you let it be so. If you can gaze into its obsidian eyes, knowing it is the be all and the end all, but fear neither, then shall you have reached the shores of wisdom.

So sayeth Nemris.

Last edited by ajotatxe; 24/07/14 07:09 PM.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Originally Posted by LeBurns
I got the questions wrong (obviously) and now the guy is gone. Is there a way to make him come back so I can be tested again?
Load Game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Let's consider two possibilities...
Scenario 1: The book being textless is a bug, and the real text is exactly as ajotatxe posted above. (This happens to be the case.)
Scenario 2: The book being textless is completely deliberate, and you're meant to answer the questions by studying the blank text. (This happens to be a hypothetical, because the current situation isn't deliberate.)

Now I argue that Scenario 2 is loads more interesting, and is the way it should be done. The irony in Nemris referring to the book as his "greatest work" when it contains zero words (outside of the title) is, in my opinion, far too good to pass up as a playful jab at over-intellectual literature. Furthermore, under both scenarios, the answers to the first two questions of Nemris' test are exactly the same; the only question with different answers for the two scenarios is the third question, which would have to be rewritten to something more appropriate for Scenario 2.

The point is, I'm very much against this bug being fixed. I'd rather just have one of the questions changed on the test.

Last edited by ScrotieMcB; 24/07/14 08:18 PM.
veteran
veteran
That's all well and good, but your average player sees a blank book in a game that is full of bugged parchments and similar errors. In the end it just ends up looking like one more bug in a long string of them, and reflects poorly upon the game. The easiest way around that is for one of the character's responses to be something along the lines of "But the book was blank.." (or to do something similar with a journal update) but once you have to explain the joke it's pretty pointless to have it.

Anyway, I actually like that the game has a "are you actually reading these books?" type quiz in it, and would like to see the bug fixed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Well I will agree that, in a game where there are lots of bugged books with no text, it would be very important to correct the other bugged books, such that the Scenario 2 version of Philosophy of Death looked to be deliberate rather than just another bug.

Which means that, with Scenario 1, it would be important to fix a bugged book, and with Scenario 2, it would be important to fix bugged books. Either way, they should be fixing some bugged books.

A
A
Originally Posted by Chaotica
well thanks for the solution smile but my point is : is that the result of developper's madness or a bug? :p

I thought this was intentional, because the correct answers fit so well to that empty book. He is a philosopher, so the emptiness of his book seem to me like a clear statement. *shrugs*

So I guess, I was just lucky when I answered the questions?

I saved before talking to him and guessed my way through it, and won. And then I laughed my ass off when I found the book and it was blank.

I thought it was a rather deliberate and somewhat cruel joke on the part of the devs; after all, death is transition to nothing so the philosophy of it is the philosophy of nothing.

Too bad it's a bug.

"We shall not fear the coming of the shadow of death."

Link Copied to Clipboard