Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
stranger
stranger
D
I'm not sure what you're saying. Is this option in the Bios or in the game settings it self?

D
stranger
stranger
D
Hoe exactly do this? His instructions don't make sense. Do I go into the Bios or the settings of the game and deactivate Secure Boot Device.

Support
Support

It is a setting in the BIOS.

M
stranger
stranger
M
The problem some of us had, myself included, is that the latest Nvidia drivers may not be able to work with the laptop hardware to properly switch from integrated graphics to the Nvidia card. When I rolled back my graphics driver to an earlier version it fixed the problem. Why? Because the latest and greatest Nvidia drivers may not be the best for a laptop with integrated graphics. Instead, you should use the Nvidia graphics drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer, NOT Nvidia, as the manufacturer will have made sure the drivers work with their equipment. Hope this helps, it fixed my issue.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Scary. I'm not sure I want to do that.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Thanks, but what else will this effect?

K
stranger
stranger
K
It may be helpful if you'd state the exact version of the driver which you've rolled back to...

Regarding the UEFI Bios stuff and such - it's great as well, but if you don't have win 8 that is not a solution either.

Tbh the solution should come from Larian's part, everything else is a workaround at best, and given they are now on a break according some late interviews, I don't see this problem being fixed anytime soon - which is a real bummer since we love to play the game, but with intelHD being in charge the experience is kinda crippled, and that in fact makes me sad.

Please, be so kind devs, and do something about it as soon as possible - it's in your best interest, really, so you've got every reason you need I think.
This amazing product of yours shouldn't be damaged by these kind of mundane bullsh*t issues - think we all agree on that.

Last edited by Komor; 30/07/14 10:37 AM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Okay, just to be more helpful myself, I'm gonna list all the things I've tried to fix this, based on the forums and discussions found on the internet.
It may help save time for those like me, who cannot accept things just the way they are - not until tried everything possible, sometimes even the impossible. Also it may prove useful to the devs in a way, if they ever plan to fix this (any kind of confirmation from the devs regarding whether this will ever be addressed or not, would be just great btw).

The places I've visited for information:

- Larian forums
- Steam forums
- Nvidia forums
- Asus forums
- Stackoverflow
- Tom's hardware
- sevenforums (win7)
- and some other places I cannot recall, since I'm into this for at least 3 days now and visited dozens of places

Let's see the "solutions" I've tried already (and those I could not, but listed as solutions by other ppl) from obvious to less obvious:

- set high-perfromance nvidia adapter for the game and steam from the nvidia control panel
- change drivers to OEM verified ones (from up to date - to dating one and a half year back) using the display driver uninstaller tool from guru3d
- searching through the game ini files in hope i can force my will by playing with some extra options - I've found how to turn yourself into a god, or how to unlock the camera-rotation to full extend in no time, but nothing that would help to solve this problem
- disabling primary gpu (not recommended, if you try it anyway don't be scared if your display goes black and nothing happens, just reboot and you'll be able to enable it once again)
- disable secure boot (only works with win8)
- rollback driver (well i did, manually, since i have a fresh win7 there was nothing to roll back to, so ...)

The idea of using outdated drivers because your machine may not be able to switch from integrated adapter to dedicated one may contain some splinters of truth, but at the end of the day it turned out to be bullshit, why? Because other 3d games (like D3 for example) has no problem whatsoever to switch and use the dedicated card, so it seems it really comes down to this particular game not my hardware or drivers to be honest. If you wanna make sure which adapter you use just download GPU-z, Rivatuner or nvidia Optimus monitoring tool, fire the game up and check the GPU load on both of your GPUs.

Conclusion: no matter what I do, I cannot make this game to be aware of my dedicated videocard, and since other games can use it with no problem, I don't think this would be the OEM's or the GPU manufacturers' fault, at all.

So what could be going on here (in order of probablity):
- Larian already knew about this problem, but with the all the release hassle on their plate they've had more pressing issues to address
- Larian never tested the game on dual-GPU notebooks, and thus never encountered this problem before, it's understandable - and if this is the case, they may fix it one day.
- Another possibility that all this happens on purpose, they may have stumbled upon a problem with mobile GPUs (or some of them) and they decided it's better to turn them off altogether for the time being, hopefully until they can come up with a solution.

My setup: ASUS x550c i5, 8GB RAM, Samsung EVO SSD, intelHD4000 & geforce 720M - win7 64 ultimate

That's it, all wrapped up - I think I've gone over and beyond in effort and patience of an average customer, so I'd really like to hear an official statement of any kind regarding this issue.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by Komor; 30/07/14 01:17 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
to accompany my previous speaker:
i also feel out of ideas, and i also think the devs should take care of this problem, asap.
the same problem occurs for example when i play super streetfighter 4 ae (pc version)

this is SUCH a great game, and this problem is totally - and i mean totally - destroying any fun possible..

so devs, i echo "please take care of that"

thanks in advance smile

C
stranger
stranger
C
Same here with a Samsung laptop containing Intel HD4000 and AMD 7600M gpus. Please solve this annoying problem or at least give some information about it.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Huh... I have two laptops with same configs. I have tried to return OEM AMD drivers. No chances frown The third laptop, that has an Intel integrated GPU, warms badly and after 30 minutes of playing game begins to snark. Dear dev's, everybody waiting for a patch, pleeeeeease.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Same problem on my MSI GE60 with 750m and HD4000. I can't make the game recognize the Nvidia card, tryed all the possible solutions.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by bobwalt
Well given that it is happening with both AMD and NVIDIA that means it is pretty much a game issue and not a driver issue.

Some folks won't like hearing this, but I say it kindly and compassionately, in the hopes that some will listen and spare themselves a monumental load of grief in the future...

It's absolutely not a "game" issue, per se. It's both a hardware & a software driver issue native to *laptops*--the scourge of the gaming universe. Laptop OEMs twist and bend the D3d/OpenGL Windows API standards so far out of shape that even their own mothers can't recognize them anymore. If you don't believe that, you should--on both the AMD and nVidia drivers pages you will see that there are some laptops being sold right now by some of the so-called "major" OEM laptop companies that *won't work* with the standard D3d/OpenGL Windows drivers that AMD & nVidia create for their laptop gpus--Both companies tell people who own certain laptops to get their gpu drivers from *the laptop OEM* because the ones that AMD & nVidia make for their laptop gpus *won't work.* The laptop OEM has done something "custom," something "different" to his notebook hardware that renders the standard notebook gpu drivers *worthless.*

Go into any game forum on the planet and you will see that the bulk of the gpu problems come from laptop owners, especially the ones that shoehorn Intel IGPs in with much more powerful laptop gpus from AMD & nVidia. (The Intel gpus are far too weak to run games so that's why some laptops put *two* gpus inside.) It's just about *pot luck* if you find a laptop wherein this arrangement works like it should--rare as hen's teeth, I believe is the phrase.

Bottom line: laptop technology isn't made to run games. In fact, the guiding principle behind laptop tech is *the conservation of battery life.* Games push the hardware and suck down the power, so what does that tell you? It should tell you that if you are someone who enjoys playing games on a computer then you need to do it on a *desktop*--not a laptop. Period. Trying to play decent games on a laptop is like trying to use a hammer instead of a screwdriver--you may eventually hammer the screw into the wall, but you'll be doing it the hard way and it might not ever actually work correctly...;)

Another recently released game--M&MX released by Ubisoft--officially offers *no support whatever for laptops of any description* (for the reasons already stated here.) Be good to yourself--don't game on laptops! Larian should follow suit--the company should also refuse to officially support laptops. Laptops are portable computers that are good for lots and lots of things a desktop isn't suitable for because it isn't portable--but *gaming* isn't one of them. Definitely.

I'm never wrong about anything, and so if you see an error in any of my posts you will know immediately that I did not write it...;)
K
stranger
stranger
K
Very nice pep-talk to encourage devs to get in line and not support their product, brilliant. I'm not telling you there is no point in what you're saying, and let me tell you, lots of gamers are well aware of all this crap surrounding laptops... but, as you have pointed out, there are games out there that work well in spite of this.

What we want here is not support for all possible hardwares out there, no. Having realized by the game that there are multiple gpu's in the system, and turning off the primary hardware if there is a dedicated one present - that is what we're all looking for here, and making that happen shouldn't be so hard.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you and I, or anybode else thinks here - we need a statement about this, one way or another, that clears the air around this issue.

Last edited by Komor; 04/08/14 09:45 AM.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Tell the truth, I had same problems with Rome: Total War 2 until they were released an update. Since this moment lags and heating troubles disappeared. That is why I think this problem is soluble by patching. Moreover, It is not a reason to exlude laptop users from the global list. They also bought the product and have a hope for the some kind of support.

Last edited by DronYA; 04/08/14 09:39 AM.
M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Originally Posted by DronYA
Tell the truth, I had same problems with Rome: Total War 2 until they were released an update. Since this moment lags and heating troubles disappeared. That is why I think this problem is soluble by patching. Moreover, It is not a reason to exlude laptop users from the global list. They also bought the product and have a hope for the some kind of support.

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=495843

Read the sixth line down...

Originally Posted by Larian
PC and Mac players can now also play together on-the-go with the newly-implemented "Laptop Optimized" mode.

suspicion

Yeah, about that optimized mode...

P
stranger
stranger
P
Do someone know if the devs are aware and taking care of this problem?

D
stranger
stranger
D
According their "multiple" replies - nobody )))) All of them are still celebrating the game release smile
There a lot of bugs in the game. Recently I had to change the experience of my chars because of the game crash, when more than 2 chars gain level up.

Last edited by DronYA; 08/08/14 07:20 AM.
Support
Support

Larian is currently working on another update, expected to be released next week (so far the only thing I have seen specifically mentioned as being included is for the dialogue system in co-op).
The devs are aware of the issue; Issh (support) responded earlier in this topic, and presumably at least some of the people who posted here bothered to email support with the report file from the analysis tool.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Here is the thing. In most of there reported cases here I bet game actually uses better card. It's just issue what game thing it runs on, not what is actually used. So only side-effect is that is does not recommend high or greater settings, due to low VRAM.

If you are not so sure:

1) Use FRAPS
2) Check frame rate when playing
3) edit the game and force through your video card panel to use Intel graphics
4) run the game: you'll notice steep performance decrease

And yes, RomeTW2 had exactly the same problem.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard