Next Thread
Print Thread
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Hello,

I am playing D:OS (Kickstarter Edition :p) on my laptop, a powerful Asus G74 SX. I am experiencing some severe framerate drops that make the game less and less playable.

The game runs fine until I play it for 10 minutes or enter combat ; at this point, it enters Slideshow Mode.

I don't think this is related to the graphic card as the problem occurs both on highest and lowest video settings.

It seems it is related to memory or CPU, but I don't understand why, as my specs are far above the recommended specs and I have no other program running in the same time.

My specs:
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB
- Intel Core I7 2670QM @2.20 GHz Sandy Bridge, 8 Cores
- 6 GB RAM DDR3

Thanks in advance for your help.

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Yup. I've a similar system as well. Except 2 650m cards running in SLI and an i7 3630QM (2.4-3.4 GHz). Somethings up and Larian has yet to give a clear and concice response. Best we can do is just keep checking daily and updating threads like these. I don't know a single person with similar specs to ours that isn't having some kind of problem with performance and frame rate.

Hopefully Larian is looking at these threads and can produce a fix soon.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Hi Boulingrin,

Both MetaMoose and i can confirm it appears they dropped the ball on testing/optimizing most of the mobile spectrum.
The three of us cover 3 generations of Intel CPU with Sandy/Ivy/Haswell alone as well as multiple gens of GPU; with similar problems. I guess we stay-tuned while they sort the code out.

Last edited by tbjamies; 21/07/14 03:54 PM.

Desktop:
i7 2600K @ 4.2 | 16GB | 780 Lightning
Mobile:
MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 3k | i7 4710HQ | 16GB | 870M
B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
Yes. It's a shame, as the manual clearly says (in the introduction) that the game has been optimized for laptops. Irony... :p

B
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I may have a temporary solution.

1) Follow instructions here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Divinity:_Original_Sin (Framerate Drops and Suttering section).

2) In-game, do Alt-Tab to any other application then back in game.

It works a bit for me - I have still big framerate drops during fight mode, but they are short and the game keeps a normal display in exploration mode.

I hope it helps.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I have a pretty powerful PC so I tried disabling that texture streaming and played couple of hours. No problems occurred and that made game seem whole lot smoother. I only complained about camera panning stutter before (now it is almost non-existent) but it indeed seems that even fights feel faster for me now.

I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
check the temps on your gpu. it's very likely to be overheating, and that is what is causing the frame drops.

use something like "open hardware monitor" (just google for download spots) and run it while you are playing the game. it will tell you where your bottleneck is (gpu or cpu).

also suggest trying out a frame limiter for your graphics card.

for nvidia, there is "nividia inspector". there's one for ati cards too, but don't know the name.

since you're playing on a laptop, limiting your framerate manually may actually make the game smoother.

again, use hardware monitor to see where the bottleneck is. if your cpu or gpu are getting overutilized, you know where to focus your attention.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard