Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
apprentice
apprentice
I'm really liking the game as it is. It's definitely a harder game than recent games. I feel like this is Baldur's Gate 3. I'm glad there's no quest markers. I don't particularly like puzzles with random solutions, like all the switch puzzles. I prefer that a solution can be discovered somewhere. That's my main complaint. Crafting is sometimes a bit awkward. I think it could have been done better, but it's not so bad. Just about everything else is top notch. I'm so glad I made the decision to buy it. I kept looking at it and deciding not to. I never heard of the game until I saw it on Steam. Wasn't sure what it really was. Once I did some reading on it I knew it would be good. I heard they're adding more npcs that can join your party, but I wish there were more already in the game. I would have liked some options.

Last edited by bzombo; 18/08/14 07:54 PM.
old hand
old hand
I agree with the OP. The puzzle that had you searching for stupid switches on a wall was annoying especially in a game that had (up until that point) had emphasis on alternative solutions and methods to everything.

The puzzles in this game don't encourage intelligent thought but rather good perception. On the opposite hand, most of Divinity 2's puzzles required you to think and time movement rather than spot a ridiculously small switch that is almost camouflaged within the environment. Original Sin's "puzzles" felt very cheap in comparison.

That being said, there were some very good puzzles in this game involving interaction of the environment that I loved.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The internet is there for people who want to not get lost. The game is there for people who don't mind if they do.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by sadre
The internet is there for people who want to not get lost. The game is there for people who don't mind if they do.

There's a difference between getting lost and things being incredibly obtuse.

Here's an example of a relatively obtuse quest in Baldurs Gate 2 - the one to get Lilacor in the sewers. This quest requires four items and has a riddle for each.

They're all in the Sewers map but one of the four requires something that breaks the usual rules of the game. There's a carrion crawler that isn't hostile, it is someone's pet. This needs to be killed for the "best friend's blood". There IS a clue to this, but it still breaks the normal rules of the game (that non-hostiles cannot be attacked without reprocussions) so it can be difficult to figure out.

Many quests/puzzles in Divinity are like this, but without the clue. Turning off candles, turning on candles, moving pictures, etc. They're all against the other rules of the game and there's no clue that moves you towards thinking differently.

There's also the fact that sometimes the solution to the puzzle ISN'T in the same area as the puzzle itself (like the barrier mentioned in the OP) which encourages you to wander aimlessly as you decide if the solution is here or elsewhere.
I've played so many different RPGs from different eras and this is the first where almost all the solutions to puzzles I've just had to google. Especially ones based on buttons!

A
addict
addict
A
That's because you are really lowlife :P. Joking. But anyway, it probably means this game is not for you. Do you want Larian to dumb down the game and make it Call of Duty to just satisfy you one gamer? We have enough of dumb games.

Please for god's sake if you find it difficult you can always google for hints and walkthroughs. The game cannot be dumbed down to catered to simple minded people. Thank you.

R
stranger
stranger
R
I completely agree with OP. I also agree with the 2nd post saying that this game isn't for people like us, because we don't like this sort of game. That's true.

However when I bought the game I wasn't thinking about the puzzles. I saw the cool game mechanics like creating surfaces and having elements interact with each other during combat. I love the combat in the game. Unfortunately I rarely get to fight because in between I have to search youtube for how to open/obtain all the doors/quest items in between. So I wish those who like to solve puzzles a good time, but I'm done with this game.

Edit: I just saw the post above mine saying that the other option would be dumbing down the game to COD level.. That's not true. I myself played Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate multiple times because I do like RPGs with a story and the occasional puzzle. But the problem with this game is that the puzzles are bad. Also the journal is no help at all. For example I have so many open quests with the last line saying: 'This and that is solved, now this guy should be pleased.' However the journal does not say where the guys are, where I met them and so on. Am I really supposed to keep track of all that? Why do I have a journal in the first place if I end up taking notes manually..

Last edited by ribisel; 21/08/14 10:55 PM.
T
stranger
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Archaven
That's because you are really lowlife :P. Joking. But anyway, it probably means this game is not for you. Do you want Larian to dumb down the game and make it Call of Duty to just satisfy you one gamer? We have enough of dumb games.

Please for god's sake if you find it difficult you can always google for hints and walkthroughs. The game cannot be dumbed down to catered to simple minded people. Thank you.

Maybe read the other posts? Honestly "The puzzles are obtuse" is different from "REMOVE PUZZLES".

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard