Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Long ago warriors of old stood together to face a great evil and free all of Tyral. It was thought that the evil was vanquished and heroes all but fated out leaving nothing but legends. That is, until today.

The great evil is back and manifested itself as a mysterious woman. The woman killed the great king of tyral and crowned herself queen. Casting the land into shadows. You play as the grandson of the last and greatest hero. Your allies are all but dead but you have the power to stop the evil queen. The shadows are everywhere. They lie to you, Trick you, but you must not be stopped. Because you're the last hero to still have the Magicks

Hello forum, Some of you may already know me but for those of you who don't I'm demonata08 laugh

This is the birth place of my mod. I dont have a lot of information now and i dont plan on releasing much more about the mod for a couple weeks. However this is what i do know.

*This will be a single player mod and that means only one character.However a second player will be able drop in at anytime retroactively making their character manifest. Then as soon they leave their character disappears

*Completely new models, animations, and skills!

*I really hate the feel of the combat system while only one character exist. So i'll be touching up the combat system.

This is all i know at the moment. I've gotten most of this to work already and just working on the models and story now. If anyone wants to help or has any ideas please feel free to ask! smile

See you all soon!

Last edited by Demonata08; 03/08/14 04:21 PM.
OP Offline
Reserved

OP Offline
Reserved

enthusiast
enthusiast
Good luck with the mod!

One (pesky) thing to note about these forums is that you only have a limited time (a week? -ish?) to edit your posts. This makes updating OPs rather tricky (or rather, impossible after a period of time).

While you still have the ability to edit your posts, it might be a good idea to advise of a place to track the latest build. Maybe an off-site hosting address/blog or something.

Personally, when it comes time for me to share my own little mod on this forum, I'll probably keep the latest version updated in my signature, and advise as such in the OP.

Alternatively, maybe the moderators of the forum will change the setting that time-restricts edits. smile

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
Support
Support

There is a 48 hour limit on edits. You can PM me to update the original post(s) after that, though (PM me with the content to copy into the topic, or reply with the updated version and PM me to move it).

S
stranger
stranger
S
hey man, more power!

that reminds me, gotta start reviving that old campaign I got here

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Noaloha
Good luck with the mod!

One (pesky) thing to note about these forums is that you only have a limited time (a week? -ish?) to edit your posts. This makes updating OPs rather tricky (or rather, impossible after a period of time).

While you still have the ability to edit your posts, it might be a good idea to advise of a place to track the latest build. Maybe an off-site hosting address/blog or something.

Personally, when it comes time for me to share my own little mod on this forum, I'll probably keep the latest version updated in my signature, and advise as such in the OP.

Alternatively, maybe the moderators of the forum will change the setting that time-restricts edits. smile

Yeah i didn't know that haha. It'll be okay though. I'll probably end up getting a small domain and linking it or hosting the mod on the wiki if the owner lets me.

OP Offline
Just wanted to give everyone an update here.

A demo of the first level should be coming out in the next few days. Along with a little website ill be hosting it on. I'm mostly done with it. Just adding finishing touches.

I'm going to be using the demo to showcase a lot of the features of the mod.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Looking forward to it. smile

Escape From Smalcatraz: Steam/Nexus. Forum thread.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I am looking forward as well. As you know I am no stranger to new meshes and textures, but new animations interests me greatly ;p

I think you will be happy to hear that very soon (TM) we will be able to generate working advanced physics meshes. That get properly calculated by AIgrid and such.

Sneaky sneak peak
http://imgur.com/4fgpDnC

Sadly, currently the solution does not involve LSTools, but rather a bullet physics exporter in C4D. But anyway, I think we will get a proper solution for this soon. And then there is no stopping us adding new assets to the game. I will write a tutorial how to do said ramp/stair thing once it's possible to do with lstools.

Sorry to talk so much about my stuff here, I am very curious about your mod and hope it becomes a huge success

OP Offline
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r
I am looking forward as well. As you know I am no stranger to new meshes and textures, but new animations interests me greatly ;p

I think you will be happy to hear that very soon (TM) we will be able to generate working advanced physics meshes. That get properly calculated by AIgrid and such.

Sneaky sneak peak

Sadly, currently the solution does not involve LSTools, but rather a bullet physics exporter in C4D. But anyway, I think we will get a proper solution for this soon. And then there is no stopping us adding new assets to the game. I will write a tutorial how to do said ramp/stair thing once it's possible to do with lstools.

Sorry to talk so much about my stuff here, I am very curious about your mod and hope it becomes a huge success

The new models and animation will likely be coming later. I've been working with it but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I was importing it using lstool and replacing the characters in my mod pac with mine. It doesnt display properly though.

It's likely impossible for new models if someone can't find a way to decrypt their GR2 format.

Usually it just takes time.

Last edited by Demonata08; 08/08/14 07:38 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Demonata08
Originally Posted by eRe4s3r

Sneaky sneak peak

The new models and animation will likely be coming later. I've been working with it but it doesn't seem to be working properly. I was importing it using lstool and replacing the characters in my mod pac with mine. It doesnt display properly though.

It's likely impossible for new models if someone can't find a way to decrypt their GR2 format.

Usually it just takes time.

Just a heads-up

LS Tools latest version 0.1.18 now supports conversion of OBJ to BULLET and it's working

Workflow is as follows

1) Create visual mesh (This is what you see in-game) make it pretty, high detail, doesn't matter. Export as FBX and convert to GR2 via TOOL

2) Create a physics mesh that is EXTREMELY SIMPLE Basically keep it as SIMPLE as possible. If you want a ramp, you can make do with 6 triangles. Then export that as OBJ (scale 1m) and convert with LS tools, set Concave BVH triangle mesh for ramp like things and create object and assign physics in editor as usual.

Now if you did everything right, AI grid calc looks like this

[Linked Image]

Important, convert mesh to triangles BEFORE exporting to OBJ.

Essentially, you model high quality visual model, then the physics mash is that model extremely simplified, 1 mesh, no weird shapes. If yo want ramp, do a ramp with as few triangles as possible. The fewer triangles the faster calculations in AI Grid.

Also for normal maps workflow is as follows (I was stupid, and forgot to disable DDS texture flipping.. whoops! usually you have to do this in some engines (Skyrim comes to mind) but not so for D:OS

1) Calculate normal maps as usual
2) Load into Photoshop, switch to Multichannel-mode and re-arrange your channels as follows

[Linked Image]

Cyan = Alpha (Black)
Magenta = Light from top, shadows on the bottom
Yellow = Light from straight down (height)
Alpha1 = Light from left side, shadows on the right

Convert this back to RGB once done and you have a texture where the channel order is correct (Black in first channel). NO idea what Larian thought when doing that, it makes absolutely no sense.

To save memory you can also cheapskate it and move one of the RGB nodes from your texture (in material editor) to specular. For my stairs this worked nicely. Currently I am not exactly sure how to do specular in this editor correctly... ;p

Last edited by eRe4s3r; 09/08/14 06:55 AM.
OP Offline
Hey man, I, and everyone else here, Appreciate the little tutorial laugh

I don't see that helping much for my models. But if i decide i need a static model i'll definitely reference this.

I've actually been working on different races for this game. Referencing the races from some of my favorite games. Mostly the elder scrolls haha. I'm really wanting a Dunmer race available. Though that part will probably come later when the editor is a little more.. documented..

My current task is editing spells, And finding where they coded the sneak system at.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I am secretly hoping someone at Larian sees this and gives us the proper tools to export an animated/bone IK weighted mesh (armor/char models) into the editor... as you say, currently there is no way to do that, and this means a huge limitation for unique campaigns. Maybe we should ask Larian directly, per email?

I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew anyway with my mod idea... I am not a script guy really... I can barely get dialog and combat working. I hope at some point the community is going to offer "complete" script templates that we can just drop in and stuff works right. Without fiddling about, without guessing. (one can hope ;P)

journeyman
journeyman
thanks eRe4s3r for that NM tip!

was doing some new terrain stuff and I missed something completely, the default normal maps are overwritten when I added my own. So we dont need to create a material file for a standard terrain, we can just use Larian Default and add our own stuff

pic with DM NM and SM
[Linked Image]

OP Offline
I'm having a few personal issues and im waiting to release it for a bit. I really want it to be truly special when i release it. So i want to get much of what i wanted done to be done when i release the demo.

Sorry guys. Just a few more days laugh

OP Offline
I apologize again everyone. I'm going to have to shelf this project until more is known about animations in divinity.

The different models and classes was going to be the highlight of my mod and i can't get them to work properly. So until theres just a little bit knowledge on it going around im shelfing this for now.

I will be releasing a mod soon however! Will be keeping in touch. And those of you waiting for that stealth mod. Stay tuned smile

journeyman
journeyman
Well for the animations I found that the "empty" model for the player and female contains actual animations, when you add a visual resource to that (with the correct bone names I assume) it should animate. I was experimenting with this but somehow in the whole exporting proces the bone name changed from Bip001 R Hip, to Bip001_R_Hip (something like that) so I couldnt test to see it working...

W
stranger
stranger
W
Eagerly waiting! Thanks again Demonata!

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by FromHolland
Well for the animations I found that the "empty" model for the player and female contains actual animations, when you add a visual resource to that (with the correct bone names I assume) it should animate. I was experimenting with this but somehow in the whole exporting proces the bone name changed from Bip001 R Hip, to Bip001_R_Hip (something like that) so I couldnt test to see it working...

With what little that I tested I think the main issue we are looking at here is that without source skeleton and gr2 exporter directly from the 3d-suites we can't export IK and weighting. Only bone names. But a bone isn't much by itself, it needs hierarchy and weighting.

So if you change the visual mesh of a character, it would be completely broken unless you had the source skeleton loaded and weighted the new mesh properly against the old skeleton. Just exporting with matching bone names isn't gonna be enough. (And yes, currently it seems the conversion has also some naming issue)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard