Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
Just came to say that if you have this game, and a Steam Controller you should try it out. The game play feels more natural, and is pretty smooth.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux
N
stranger
stranger
N
whats a 'steam controller'

Support
Support

A Steam controller is a controller made by Steam, to help with their goal of getting into more living rooms (big picture mode, Steam boxes running a version of Linux optimized for gaming, etc). Its main features are a couple of touch pads, the ability to emulate mouse and keyboard functions (initial previews showed it being used to play things like RTS games, which don't work well with normal controllers) and highly configurable settings.

I was seriously considering getting one, and (after playing D:OS EE), replaying D2:DC as an unarmed warrior.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I bought one but it takes some getting used to as the button layout is totally different to an Xbox360 / PS3 and most other PC gamepads. The A,B,X,Y buttons are where the right hand analog stick normally would be which I can't get used to at all.

As Raze said it's more suited to games such as RTS games and other isometric games that don't support a controller. For games that do I'm continuing to use my PS3 controller on my PC. The quality of the controller itself seems cheaply made compared to an Xbox pad which feels much better.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

Support
Support

That's why I didn't pre-order, I wanted to check out the feel of the layout (though the configurability could trump being a little awkward). Build quality is another issue, but I thought that had been improved from the early versions.

nstgc Offline OP
OP Offline
It's only ackward at first, and the build quality seems to be on par with the PS3 or 360 controller.

It took a few hours to get use to, but for everything that doesn't require a right analog stick, it's as good or better than a 360 controller. I haven't tried it with any strategy games yet, but so far it's decent for Baldur's Gate EE Dragon Age: Origin, even Skyrim despite the right analog emulation. It's better than K+M for Blades of Time and Divinity 2. For Sacred 2 it's as good as K+M, but with the comfort of a controller, even though I'm having issues with the bindings for that one.

One of the nicest features is being able to use the controller as a 360 controller with the exception of the right pad. I can set that to be used as a mouse. Moving around and using 360 button bindings is great, but I've never really liked using an analog stick for looking around. The mouse feels more natural. Also, the customizablity is fantastic.

The only game I've really had issues with would be Saints Row the Third.

Last edited by nstgc; 19/10/15 05:11 PM.

CPU: i7-4930k, Gfx: EVGA 950, RAM: 16GB DDR3-2133 (quad channel), OS: Arch Linux

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard