Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Is it possible? I'd really rather avoid stealing and pick pocketing.

If not thinking about how to stealing from and pick the pockets of folks is going to prevent me from advancing, I'll have to just reimagine this experience. [i]*sighs*...[/i]

N
old hand
old hand
N
You don't have to steal or pick pocket to do the quests and complete the game. There is always a way to advance through the game, whether by talking, fighting, stealing or exploring.

Edit: of course, some options are more rewarding than others.

Last edited by Nyanko; 30/10/15 03:05 AM.
veteran
veteran
This goes back to the old complaint we had in the original game:

1) Stealing everything that wasn't nailed down was simply too easy (with no skillpoint investment you could remove everything that could be taken from a room as long as you kept the NPCs back turned to you).

2) There were zero consequences provided you didn't get caught (nobody in town seems to catch on that the good silverware goes missing every time the Source Hunters come poking around).

3) The high cost of anything coupled with the low amount of gold made through an honest lifestyle seemed to reinforce the idea that D:OS was balanced with rampant thievery in mind.

I'd love to know if that's still the case in the enhanced edition. I really hope it isn't.

N
old hand
old hand
N
I guess it's gonna be the same thing in DOS 2 though, but this time it's gonna be about killing people to get blood stones.

old hand
old hand
EE sneaking seems to be the same, that was one thing I modded in, npc's with a 360 view. If you are in a room with a person, no physical barriers. Who steals from someone like that? Even if you missed them taking it you would quickly start to notice missing things and wonder why this person in here with me is always trying to flank me. So 360 just took that out and imo was realistic enough.

E
stranger
stranger
E
I certainly found it difficult to make decent gold so far without stealing anything. I'm playing on tactician mode and with limited resources I had to get inventive to say the least. That being said the first part of the game, which I always found to be the hardest, still appears to roll over when you burn everything in sight. Learning where you can pull certain encounters into houses or around corners with a lot of trees is also very helpful. I am up to the cave so far since I have just finished the west side and things have been going smoother. I should also note my main characters are zombie/leech so there has been no general healing.

Playing honest money will always be in short supply, but even with several handicaps you can pull through by abusing the environment. Hopefully when I get a few more levels I will no longer have to rely or slash and burn + ranged softening. I didn't make a group of knights to poke people from a far and hide behind fire =\.

F
apprentice
apprentice
F
Originally Posted by ExiledTyrant
I certainly found it difficult to make decent gold so far without stealing anything. I'm playing on tactician mode and with limited resources I had to get inventive to say the least. That being said the first part of the game, which I always found to be the hardest, still appears to roll over when you burn everything in sight. Learning where you can pull certain encounters into houses or around corners with a lot of trees is also very helpful. I am up to the cave so far since I have just finished the west side and things have been going smoother. I should also note my main characters are zombie/leech so there has been no general healing.

Playing honest money will always be in short supply, but even with several handicaps you can pull through by abusing the environment. Hopefully when I get a few more levels I will no longer have to rely or slash and burn + ranged softening. I didn't make a group of knights to poke people from a far and hide behind fire =\.

Since the game has such great combat systems, its other flaws become more apparent. This is definitely one of those other flaws. Would like to see if this can be improved in DOS2 - not sure fixed is the right word to use.

E
stranger
stranger
E
You can tell Larian put a lot of effort into their environmental system so it's hard to blame them wanting to showcase it heavily during all parts of the game. It just feels like it was pushed so hard that if you attempt other playstyles your heavily punished for it. I find the same thing happening with Pillars of Eternity except instead of environment it's narrative. Obsidian worked so hard on their stories that sometimes they make the NPCs overwhelming just so you'll beat the quest using story options instead of flat out killing them. It breaks immersion when things like that can pull you out of character.

T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Originally Posted by Nyanko
You don't have to steal or pick pocket to do the quests and complete the game. There is always a way to advance through the game, whether by talking, fighting, stealing or exploring.

Edit: of course, some options are more rewarding than others.

Than you!! I honestly had very little hope after a numer of Google searches.

I'll keep the reward thing in mind...maybe for a different play. I kind of expect that to be the case with RPGs (like this).

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard