Next Thread
Print Thread
#581768 25/04/16 06:58 PM
T
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
It will develop balance, strategy and mechanics. I was nonplussed and apprehensive seeing the extent that presentation on the game design focused on writing, story-telling, "morality," lore, and other such garbage.

Action point economy of choices is the individual logos to the individual eros of morality. I think many people prefer it.
Despite the amount of feedback from people whom subjected lore, or any part of character development that might be interpreted as non-combat oriented, as their most important features of the game, this cannot be correct.

The plot and dialogue in the first divinity were generally awful. The good parts of the dialogue came at moments detached from the central plot, usually something like a subject, removed from the time and place of a much better story, was remorsing or triumphing about the situation and their part in it. Learning of these stories and interacting with these temporally or spatially decontextualized individuals was a good time. Again, though - seriously - the writing and plot were pretty much the worst I've ever seen. It didn't prevent the game from being great.

Anyways, I thought I should make a post just mentioning that there is a skew in the people who respond to the posts that are mentioned. There are only 2000 or so responses to polls, and over 40000 people subscribed to the kickstarter.

I don't follow development or forums, usually, because I trust the developer - and this is definitely the state of 38000+ eager D:OS1 fans. The people who want "origin stories," and characters banging each other aren't the main crowd of divinity support - other games do that better. It's not intellectually interesting, and absolutely is coming from a compromise of what could be greater still - the combat system.

I think that many gamers really want a strategic, dnd-like, turn-based, non-button-smashing, chess-like experience. I take this from my experience with the gamers who don't use these forums, and didn't vote, because they trust Larian, because divinity os 1 was fantastically well-done in regards to the combat system.

Anyways, I'm just here to bring attention to this. Sorry other people on the forum, you're probably biased towards being the "lore," type. You're not representative of the market for DOS2. DOS1, the writing is awful and the lore is absurdly bad - I can't even believe that is a reason people played divinity 1 - I can't believe the existence of the most active kickstarter backers. "lore." "origin stories."

Again, the support for D:OS2 did not come from people interested in origin stories or lore - it came from strategy game fans. Why focus on the awful and make it mediocre, when the great could become superb? I think most of the 40000 backers, and far more of the broader market, would prefer the expenditure of time and effort in making an excellent experience of combat strategy. The story can be any kind of shell that lends itself to the environments needed to create interesting combat mechanics.

Last edited by theflightless; 25/04/16 06:59 PM.
stranger
stranger
I also love this feature.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard