Next Thread
Print Thread
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Hallo everybody!

I'm working on a smaller mod for EE, related to crafting and resource/inventory management. I would like to know what crafting recipes you use most on your playthrough. Tell me your favourites!

Excluded are all Boost recipes and food combos - except you can give good reasons why crafting tons of apple juice is a must for all craftsmen!

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
U
apprentice
apprentice
U
I'm using a crafter for the first time on my current playthrough. I've found myself doing a lot of turning mushrooms into potions then potions into arrowheads then arrowheads into arrows. I frequently make or buy pixie dust to enchant random stuff that I've picked up. After that would be upvalueing things like leather or plate scraps into actual armor or ore into bars into weapons.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Thank you for the information, unclejoe. Do you craft any other potions than healing potions for consume more frequently? I've never felt any need for attribute potions (with rare exceptions).

Last edited by Abraxas*; 16/07/16 06:39 PM. Reason: Question changed.

old hand
old hand
You might make a thread on the steam boards too. You'll get more garbage answers but more responses overall.

I've never been much for crafting myself. I'll make arrows when I have the parts but I won't seek them out, same for healing potions.

A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
You might make a thread on the steam boards too. You'll get more garbage answers but more responses overall.

Yeah, I think I'll enter the lion cage later. Just wanted to collect some quiet information here and finish the script structure first. Enjoying your mod, by the way wink (Detailed feedback tomorrow.)

U
apprentice
apprentice
U
I make a potion out of whatever turns up when I mix something with an empty potion bottle. To be honest, as I sit here, I couldn't tell you a single potion recipe. I think penny bun mushrooms make the healing potions? If it's a healing potion, I keep it. If not, I try to make an arrowhead out of it. If that doesn't work, I sell it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I probably use armour and arms crafting the most: I can outfit my mob with often better stuff than I just find lying around and can make some nice weapons too, although I admit it's largely a way of making some decent money, especially in the early stages.

I'm not sure I will ever be ready to enter The Lion's Cageâ„¢. I'm 48, and feel life still hasn't given me enough preparation for that. laugh

J'aime le fromage.
V
stranger
stranger
V
1 Perception potion
2 Axe, craft/melt/recraft until I get the +1 action point to sell for 1000+
3 Armor from metal scraps+hammer
4 Boots + nine inch stuff

5,6,7: Poison Barrel (that I carry all the time) + Flasks and then > Poison Grenade or Arrows
(My tank always use zombie talent :3 )

Those are the ones I use most I guess.

Btw, a question: Crafted axes seems to be always better than crafted swords, this is realy the case? and if it is, as seemed to be, why would be the case? Dev hates swords?

Last edited by Velvet Vendetta; 18/07/16 11:49 AM.
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
Btw, a question: Crafted axes seems to be always better than crafted swords, this is realy the case? and if it is, as seemed to be, why would be the case? Dev hates swords?

Thanks for information!

To your questions: I'm not a crafting expert. Since difficulty in EE is too low I never cared for the highest end. Maybe someone else can answer you.

What I'm planning for my Mod is translating crafting actions into a story script and then adding recipes to the database, so you can give crafting commands in your companions' dialog. They will take resources from the party inventory and craft the amount of items you select if conditions are fulfilled (crafting skill + resources), so item transfer isn't necessary any longer. That should compensate some missing functions for inventory management.
The script is already finished and works very well. The only types of crafting I cannot translate are Boosts for weapons and armor, and all recipes that autolevel crafted items. So crafting weapons and armor must be done manually by the player, but resources like iron bars or arrows and grenades (and all resources you need for them) will be possible.

There will also be a script that makes companions execute crafting actions that require an anvil, barrels or other things if the required object is in sight. The will move to it and craft the amount of items you ordered (maybe you can order a whole list of items; we'll see).

It will also be possible to transfer all weapons to a character, so boosting and selling them will be without endless transferring of items between pack mule, blacksmith and trader character.

I'm not sure I will ever be ready to enter The Lion's Cageâ„¢. I'm 48, and feel life still hasn't given me enough preparation for that. laugh

Next stage would be the Codex, eh? wink (sorry Codex, but the wild nature of some creatures living under your brightly sky darkens the minds and frightens the timid souls that step on your fertile ground...)

Last edited by Abraxas*; 18/07/16 12:40 PM.

V
stranger
stranger
V
If you allow me, it seems you have a truckload of modding knowledge, I think in your position I would make some other, more urgent (imo) mods... I can't exactly point what the community thinks are the most urgent mods to improve gameplay, but I think there are (lots) of more important problems than inventory awkwardness.

Like, a mod I could imagine being downloaded a lot its one that removes all paintings (and other very obvious valuables) from Cyseal and adds them (or the raw gold value of them at low affinity selling) to your inventory on a new run. That would improve (a lot) the time needed to retry honor mode or test new builds.

An even better mod on that sense would be introducing alternative, and not completely stupid (sorry, its my opinion) ways of getting sizable money in the start of the game aside from stealing everything thats not bolted down and selling to the same guy who owns the object you just stole from him. (takes 2 hours and its not lore friendly).

I'm sorry for suggesting something so unrelated to your question and making it sound a like a rant, but since you are a modder :3

Thanks for you work on improving the game anyways... bye o/

Last edited by Velvet Vendetta; 18/07/16 02:47 PM.
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A
If you allow me, it seems you have a truckload of modding knowledge, I think in your position I would make some other, more urgent (imo) mods...

No problem to mention these things.
Crafting commands are just a very small part of a bigger project, called LivingWorld, I'm working on and I've still a lot planned, so don't worry wink Still unimproved inventory management (except the new crafting interface) was one - and I don't think the smallest - part of the critic players offered after EE was released and it was time for me to address that, as far as it is possible without programming skills.

I've already implemented new NPC reactions on player actions (going invisible, appearing after invisibility, invisibly moving objects in sight of an NPC, sneaking right behind an NPC, moving objects behind an NPC (dependend on weight of the object and perception of the NPC), creating fire surfaces in town, summoning undeads or spiders in town etc.), also reactions related to Gerome's rooster painting and much more. Enhancing the crime system - which also contains reactions of the legion when too many things 'disappear' or NPCs get killed, making guards suspicious towards the player, depending on glory, previous crime acts, story progression etc. - is also part of what I work on. And I will also think about reducing value of paintings (maybe part of Baardvark's mod Scales, too?) and offering other ways to make money beside stealing and crafting. A more useful food system is also on my list.

A mod for players on hardcore difficulty is not planned, but I've written a guide how to change starting properties, so it would be easy to start with a higher amount of gold if wanted. Here's a link:

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=582571#Post582571

If there are more things that come to your mind just start a new thread. It won't be ignored smile

V
stranger
stranger
V
woah I didn't know there was such a big project going on...

thats great indeed ^^.

oh, and about the honor mode change, hardcore players wouldn't fell confortable in editing starting values, but they might fell ok if a mod "adds" the exact value of what they already stole more than 10 times over and over in cyseal IF the items thenselves vanish from the game. (might be asking too much, since honor mode should be... well, honorable in all kinds of challenge the game offers, including the massive cyseal lvl 1-3 ramp...)

I don't think I need to go on about the theft stuff, its very wrong on many levels, and the fish thief on the start only makes things even more problematic.

You guys can make especialized npc(s) that buy stolen merchandise (like almost all other games do), and/or a prison system that takes away XP as punishment for being caught (a very serious punishment on a limited xp enviroment like d:os)

This would make pickpocketing skill (and charisma with some changes) like viable ways of making money in the start, I think it would be amazing ^^

If you guys are already addressing all that, a big thanks and 100 imaginary cookies for you guys!... (thats the greatest reward i'm allowed to give)

Sorry for derailling even further btw...

I've made a thread a few days ago, I felt that I had some coments on how to make the game more enjoyable and user-friendly, especialy for players that are not from the genre (my case)

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=583088#Post583088

If you have any questions, or needs any help on solving any of this/those issues (conceptually only as I have 0 programming/moding skills) I will be happy to try.

Last edited by Velvet Vendetta; 18/07/16 04:56 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Abraxas*
Crafting commands are just a very small part of a bigger project, called LivingWorld, I'm working on and I've still a lot planned, so don't worry wink Still unimproved inventory management (except the new crafting interface) was one - and I don't think the smallest - part of the critic players offered after EE was released and it was time for me to address that, as far as it is possible without programming skills.

I've already implemented new NPC reactions on player actions (going invisible, appearing after invisibility, invisibly moving objects in sight of an NPC, sneaking right behind an NPC, moving objects behind an NPC (dependend on weight of the object and perception of the NPC), creating fire surfaces in town, summoning undeads or spiders in town etc.), also reactions related to Gerome's rooster painting and much more. Enhancing the crime system - which also contains reactions of the legion when too many things 'disappear' or NPCs get killed, making guards suspicious towards the player, depending on glory, previous crime acts, story progression etc. - is also part of what I work on. And I will also think about reducing value of paintings (maybe part of Baardvark's mod Scales, too?) and offering other ways to make money beside stealing and crafting. A more useful food system is also on my list.

Ooh, that sounds quite interesting. When you mentioned about the game being "too easy", my immediate reaction is "but I'm kinda crap at combat, I don't want it to be any harder" but I actually love this sort of in-depth modding. I recently mentioned FCOM for Oblivion elsewhere (well, more properly, Oscuro's and Fransesco's overhauls, Mart's Monster Mod, Warcry and a whole bunch of other stuff) as well as assorted other bits and pieces that add NPCs, requirements to actually do basic stuff like eating and sleeping and so on, loads of stuff that adds an extra dimension to the game. I guess I wouldn't call it hardcore, just planning and, well, role-playing! If my Sims have to eat and sleep, I figure my adventurers need to as well, and as you describe, other characters' reactions to their behaviour too.

Edit: apologies for the slightly rambling paragraph, I'm not entirely awake at the moment.

Originally Posted by Abraxas*
Next stage would be the Codex, eh? wink (sorry Codex, but the wild nature of some creatures living under your brightly sky darkens the minds and frightens the timid souls that step on your fertile ground...)

Oh God no. I used to drive myself nuts by being on e.g. newsgroups. I'm too old for that sort of, erm, diversity of discussion now. laugh

Last edited by vometia; 18/07/16 09:03 PM.

J'aime le fromage.
A
addict
OP Offline
addict
A

Last edited by Abraxas*; 26/07/16 09:17 AM. Reason: Post transferred

V
stranger
stranger
V

Last edited by Velvet Vendetta; 26/07/16 01:17 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard