Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#585031 04/09/16 04:30 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Any updates on this? I haven't seen any news of this since around September last year when we broke the stretch goal to unlock them. I have yet to see any footage or news of them in the latest media from pax and gamescom.

Is this being quietly un-added or are they waiting?

old hand
old hand
It's a work in progress, by Chris Avellone, but it's just not ready for the early access right now. It's coming.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thank you for the update. Psyched to see it at release!

addict
addict
Undead ftw! hehe

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
I
apprentice
apprentice
I
I don't like the idea of Elves being "corpse eaters". It just seems so different from every Elven type of story. Why not have the undead race have that ability? As it stands, if the Undead race eats a corpse it will get sick, where as an elf can eat the corpse and feel great... Moreover having the chance to gain abilities and memories from the deceased?

Lizards on the other hand should be quite tasty for any race. After all, don't they taste like chicken? 😜

Seriously... Not cool on the Elves. 😒

veteran
veteran
It's uh... certainly different. That's not the impression I got about the elves from Divine Divinity (Mostly Hippies) and Dragon Commander (Definitely Hippies).

From the impression I've got from hearing some things, it might be that Undead is not a race you can select on creation - it's an origin you can select (possibly the only undead origin). It's the one Chris Avellone is writing.

veteran
veteran
If you cannot select undead as race at the beginning, I have an idea (which is pure speculation and wishful thinking):
So undead is not a race because undead were a living human/elf/dwarf/lizard before. Maybe you start as a living creature and at some point of the game you have the option to become undead. When you get to that point, becoming undead seems to be the easy way to solve an importent problem, but you have to do a big sacrifice and later it turns out that being undead has some negative side effects.
Or maybe you have several ways to approach an important quest and if you fail some possible ways, you become undead as an surprizing consequence. (for example you try to sneak past a powerful necromancer (the game tells you that he is paranoid, sets tons of traps and hates intruders) and when he ctaches you he does his experiments on you)

PS: Elfs being cruel corpse eaters seems very strange to me, too.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
For undead I remember Sven toying around with the idea that you became undead or could become undead when you died, but that was early days of the post-kickstarter campaign so it has most likely changed.

That being said I hope/wonder about the undead character creation. Specifically if we can choose an undead X race. IE can we make an undead lizard or elf? Will we be locked into 1 race look (with standard variance of course)

On the topic of elves, it is true they aren't the typical fantasy/Tolkien elves but from what we see so far I see this as a fitting direction to take them. Having a sort of wood elves who evolved/ were created with the ability to see memories of the things it eats. (maybe only for sentient beings, although every creature appears to be sentient in D:OS) Perhaps they only eat things that died naturally or perhaps they view themselves as another part of nature and do not make the distinction.

All that being said it would make an equal amount of sense for the undead to be the ones with the corpse interaction, and we don't know they won't have one.

B
B
The corpse eating thing comes directly from the Book of the New Sun saga.
It's not typical fantasy fare and it's quite at odds with the established lore of Rivellon.

On the other hand, it works damn fine in the TBotNS and - considering that the D:OS 2 is supposed to be the game that creates the canon for the series - I can accept the switch of tone.

Last edited by Baudolino05; 09/09/16 08:53 AM.
mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Well, it's more environmentally friendly than taking their soles.

As the saying goes, "You are who you eat.".

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
S
stranger
stranger
S
The implication from project update # 25 (quote below) is at odds with the idea that it's not a starting race or is more of an origin. I do really hope they have at least a different appearance one for all races though. I would love to play as a skeleton lizard.

"Race: Tired of being a boring old human? Step into the scales of a lizard of the Ancient Empire; see which is tougher: an elf’s bark or its bite; take up the crossbow of an Imperial dwarf; or dust off the bones of an undead warrior."

Last edited by stobe; 20/09/16 03:31 PM.
T
journeyman
journeyman
T
I remember reading something that undead wont be much of a race but more like a dead characters of any race just stuck in this world for various reasons.

Originally Posted by Sluntchop
Any updates on this? I haven't seen any news of this since around September last year when we broke the stretch goal to unlock them. I have yet to see any footage or news of them in the latest media from pax and gamescom.

Is this being quietly un-added or are they waiting?

thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten about this laugh

L
stranger
stranger
L
As far as I remember Sven said in one kickstarter update vid, that the Undead in fact would be just a playable race that would have a special ability regarding death. So if an undead character gets killed, something unique shall happen. Of course he didn't mention what exactly would happen to Undeads when they die. They also will have a unique character with an origin story though.

That's at least what I remember, I may be wrong.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard