Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I play in clssic mode

- In the arena fight (the area under a trap door in the center of town), enemies could kill my chars with one hit.

- Dogs in the area with the silent monks (you can get there from the prison) did over 80 points of damage per hit.

- Several enemies cause a large dangerous areas when they die. It is impossible to kill them in melee without taking lots of damage and then you have to get out of this zone and stay alive.

I have managed to win all fights so far, but sometimes it took several tries to kill enemies with the same level as me (e.g. frogs at the cave at the beach). I would say it is OK as it is for a hard difficulty, but it is too hard for normal (aka classic) difficulty.
This is the beginning of the game, players have to get used to the system and it is hard to find any equipment for each slot. Having good equipment in every slot is almost impossible at this point. You have only limited money and you have to spend it for skill books as well.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
B
B
I personally like it this way, as I did in DOS1.
Some battles I barley win, some I lose and reload to either try again or come back later. And anyway I feel like I am getting better, getting to know my abilities more, assessing situations, etc.
So I like the challenge!

N
old hand
old hand
N
Originally Posted by Beyond
I personally like it this way, as I did in DOS1.
Some battles I barley win, some I lose and reload to either try again or come back later. And anyway I feel like I am getting better, getting to know my abilities more, assessing situations, etc.
So I like the challenge!

It is a bit silly though that the dogs basically are unstoppable killing machines.

And each one can essentially kill a PC in a single turn if they close the distance. (multiple if the PC is a lower level).

They are kind of ridiculously strong.

Yeah it is nice that there are tough enemies. Yet the gameplay shouldn't be THAT separated from the story... unless these dogs are supposed to be that strong. Which is possible I admit.

Last edited by Neonivek; 17/09/16 08:00 PM.
B
B
What party size are you playing? I remember my first playthrough of DOS1 I kept it to two without taking the Lone Wolf and it was proper hard. Second one I took the Lone Wold and it was really easy.
But maybe if the dogs deal that much damage it just means you need to level up more? Of course if that's the last available are for you then yeah, it's definitely an issue.

Personally I always knock down / blind / slow dogs since they usually don't have armour or anything like that, so they're easier to neutralise.

A
stranger
stranger
A
The dogs deal a lot of damage, but, if you notice, they don't have any magic armor. Basically any spellcaster can CC them or even outright one-shot them with spells. I do agree with the death areas though, especially at a point where you have to fight lots of voidwoken it gets ridiculous. Maybe reduce the area they affect when they die?

veteran
veteran
Just want to say classic isn't normal, explorer is normal.
But yeah, I also generally too a death (or 2) per battle, generally the melee guys bit the bullet being overtly useless compared to the mages, and only really getting use of their (ranged) skills and rarely their melee attacks smirk

Dual-wield wand mage is fairly insane.

stranger
stranger
If you take Pet Pal, you'll meet a dog named Buddy on the southern side of the island. Talk to him, make friends, and he'll tell you about his friends and give you a key. You can then use Pet Pal to talk to those dogs, tell them you're friends with Buddy, and they'll let you pass through

Common sense isn't
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, while those dogs (and some other enemies) hit really hard, the guy with the flesh golems was pathetically weak. Those golems did 11 damage per attack and attacked up to 3 times.
So instead of saying the game is too hard, I would say that the balancing needs some more balancing.

@HH: explorer = normal and classic = Hard???
In my own thread with suggestions I told them to write some text when selecting difficulty. Is this easy, normal or hard? Is there permadeath or only 1 save?
Until now I thought explorer is story mode and classic is normal. (The 2 lowest difficulties in PoE).

I play in classic mode single player with a party of 4. I am Sebille (as archer).

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
The melee dogs hit really hard thats right. BUT they also have next to no HP and can easily be CC-locked.
Maybe the damage should be lowered to 70 per hit?

I dont know how the arena guys could kill you in one hit. I thought it was too easy for a full 4 man party at level 2-3. I even managed to survive the first round when i entered solo as a rogue.

About the enemies leaving behind a large area when they die. They suck yes but they werent able to instakill any of my chars. Most damage they did was around 50%(?) for my full finesse rogue. Remember to use Teleport ( you can get the teleport gloves fairly early ) and encourage ( +2 endurance for everyone ) and you should be fine.

My equipment was mostly shit too. Rogue had to use the starting daggers until level 4 or 5. No good armor drops etc.

It may be a bit too hard for beginners but there is always the easy difficulty.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard