Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Metamagic, Elemental Augmentor, Focused Mind would all require some special UI additions. That doesn't automatically rule them out, but it does break the "Talents are passives only" guideline.

Manic Mage should come with a warning "This will screw you over 99% of the time!" The focus of D:OS's combat is making smart tactical moves. Casting a random spell is not that. It's not one I would ever use.

Control Freak is way more downside than upside. 10% extra damage to a target who still has armor, and therefore will not take actual health damage, and 30% less damage to targets without armor? Each cast of a spell will bring you closer to being less effective. And that's before you add on the extra penalty of -10% damage for regular spells. I don't see any benefit for taking something which only serves to reduce your power.

Quickdraw - This one seems fine.

Nimble Hands - That's already in the game called "Duck Duck Goose" requiring Huntsman 1.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Does anyone have thoughts on my suggestions on the last page? I feel like my post got a bit buried under the ones after it.

E
stranger
stranger
E
Oh yeah, all the ones I suggested would require a UI addition to select the amount of AP you wish to add, of course.

Shadowrun Returns did a similar thing with the fetishes you summoned, you chose how much AP it'd have, the more AP you gave it, the higher a chance you would lose control of it, I doubt those additions would be too strenuous to add, and skills like those could add variety to the combat.

But I feel that people could make use of Manic Mage alongside the memory system. For example, you don't know exactly what offensive spell you will cast, but you've only prepared devastating offensive spells. The AP reduction could make that fireball cost less and do more, but will it be a fireball? That's the fun.

As for control freak, I figured it would be to specialize as a CC mage. You can't deal damage to a target well, but you can strip them of their protection. The numbers, obviously, need adjustment, but it adds spice.

As for Duck Duck Goose, I never saw it on the Talent List, actually. Mustn't have paid attention.

Last edited by Editorial; 20/11/16 05:43 PM.
U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
Some interesting ideas Ellary. I especially like Brains, not Brawn although I would increase the penalties somewhat because it is a great advantage having more memory compared to the penalty.

I totally agree, but a really good idea. I'll see more :

Irritating genius : +2 memory, +2 intelligence, - 3 strengh - 3 finess and ennemy have greater chance to focus you

This allow you to make a strategic powerfull mage but really weak if caugh, or make a tank but a little bit weak too. Sounds good ahah.

U
stranger
stranger
U
I read this whole topic, and to resume a bit, i chose to focus on existing talents and good ideas i found here. I didnt pick talents too powerfull, too complexe or over 5 to 10 in abilities

ABOUT REWORKS (already in game talents) :

- Kelsier, I think a lot of players agreed with you about reworks some talents (DEMON, ICY KING : I think add immutnity or a bit dmg (+5%) should be nice)
- About ESCAPIST, it is also not valuable. Someone suggest to add immunity to opportunist (duck duck..). I think its great.
- Nobody speaks about SLINGSHOT ? Somone use it ? I think its not valuable at all. Maybe add +30% dmg on grenade or + 1 finesse (or strengh) ?

ABOUT NEW (already suggested in this topic):

- I also read a lot of comments about a tanky talent/protect healer. I could suggest 3 things :
*Sentinel/Protector : 15% chance to protect any ally in 4m radius taking dmg instead of him but you take 125% initial dmg.
*Irritative genius : see my post just above. Idea reworks (p1). Open numerous play style.
*Stinky cloud (see below)
- Awarness or eagle-eye-like : +10 intiative
- Weapon master, Quickdraw (quote p2/3) : Switch weapon for 0 AP. Open various play style. Really nice. But could be overpowered if there is unlockable skill on the item. Ex : you are a warrior, begin fight with staff with teleport, bring an enemy in front of you, and you smash him with your 2 hand weapon. lol. But why not.
- The pure (quote p1) increasing heal but reducing dmg. Could be interesting.
- Imarikuri (see P3) : seductress and womanizer : interesting but a lot of work for Larian. Master crafter and Blacksmith's Romance. : Really good idea. Others are overpowered to me.

TOTALLY NEW :

- Ugly duck : You loose -10% all attributes but your allies in 20m radius gain +5% all attributes.
- Stinky cloud : like in DOS 1 (stench : decrease ennemy focus), but it was too OP. Then i suggest to add : reduce sight by -30% and -10% constitution for allies in 7m radius.

Just to speak about cooldown reduction or AP reduction cost : I think it is too overpowered if you have one or 2 crowd control charactere in your team.

Good job Larian.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Sentinel/Protector sounds more suited for a Skill Book rather than a Talent. Remember, Talents are passive abilities.

Stinkly cloud is way too debilitating for allies. I don't think we should make that idea happen.

Quick Reflexes / Awareness / whatever you want to call it, a Talent for +10 initiative - need more opinions on this. Is it OP? Underpowered? Should have additional perks or keep it simple?

Quickdraw sounds good, I'm all for that. Would open up really interesting hybrid playstyles.

Ugly Duck doesn't make sense to me. Besides you've already got Leadership perks to buff your allies.

Looking at the OP, Grounded looks like another candidate for the "buff this talent" category. Much like Ice King and Demon, it should probably have an additional side-effect. Perhaps Ice King ought to grant a buff to magical armour (instead of physical armour) and we'd relegate the physical armour buff to Grounded?

Last edited by Kelsier; 21/11/16 05:07 PM.
U
stranger
stranger
U
Originally Posted by Kelsier
Sentinel/Protector sounds more suited for a Skill Book rather than a Talent. Remember, Talents are passive abilities.

Stinkly cloud is way too debilitating for allies. I don't think we should make that idea happen.

Quick Reflexes / Awareness / whatever you want to call it, a Talent for +10 initiative - need more opinions on this. Is it OP? Underpowered? Should have additional perks or keep it simple?

Quickdraw sounds good, I'm all for that. Would open up really interesting hybrid playstyles.

Ugly Duck doesn't make sense to me. Besides you've already got Leadership perks to buff your allies.

Looking at the OP, Grounded looks like another candidate for the "buff this talent" category. Much like Ice King and Demon, it should probably have an additional side-effect. Perhaps Ice King ought to grant a buff to magical armour (instead of physical armour) and we'd relegate the physical armour buff to Grounded?

About Protector and sentinel, it is not a skill book to me, but a talent : 15% chance to block for a skillbook sound not valuable even if it cost 1 AP. And made a skill book with 100 chance is too op to me.

I think stinky cloud isnt too debilitating, but just make you thinking differently before going in figh/build your heros. I think its a talent I probably could take if it ll be in game.

A talent for intiative sounds good to me. if you want to make some strategic moves/actions before intiating fight.

For example, intiate fight with a mage with "stinky cloud" and "Awareness", you move away from your allies, avoiding debilitating abilities + positionning to figh effitiently, think its nice combo.
Moreover, a tank cant be overpower, because if you have one in your team with "sentinel", you need to be close (4m) to your mage too over protect him. In that case you got constitution reduction.
In this sens its work well because you can really crush your ennemies but you need to be strategic. If you go like a horse, choose other talents.

Ugly duck make sens to me for building a support for example. I think there is not enough talent to modify your way to play : today you play a magical hero : you take "far out man", "glass canon", "savage sortilege"... What about doing things differently ? Combine "Ugly duck" with "stinky cloud", and "the pure", you can stay back, healing / cursing soil / blessing your allies (not your enemies cuz of sight reduction). Combine "the pure " with "irritating genius" and "one man army" you get a tank healer. Combine "stinky cloud" and "speedcreeper", "guerilla" you get a sneeky assassin. Combine Leech, sentinel, and picture of health and you got a pure tank. "the pawn" and "awarness", "hothead", a great engage.

Anyway, its my way to think horsey

enthusiast
enthusiast
Anyone else has any thoughts?

stranger
stranger
I love magic classes, so i will post some talents for them:

Chaos:
When you reach X points (6?) on any magic school you gain the power to penetrate magic armor with that school, hitting directily to HP, not even touching magic armour (CC will still be stopped by magic armor)

Wail of the Banshee: require High lvl and int.
The area of effect of your AOE spells(radius) incrise by 90% and their casting range decrase 80% (in case is not selfcast) but now they will deal just half of the total dmg to Magic Armor / Physical armor / HP at the same time, also their dmg will be applied to allies if they are in the AOE (even you) and all the AOE spells will now cost +1 (or 2) AP

Water Bounded: Hidrophist 5?
Reduce by 1( or 2) the memory slots to water spells, cant be 0.
In addittion, you gain a +1 (or +2) memory slot cost on all other elements.
(Optional: you also reduce by 1 the cost point on that element, and incrise by 1 on other elements (cant be 0), or maybe just the first one)

Same with all other elements ( earth/fire/air/death bounded)

Dance with the dead: Necromancy 10
When you died, you resurrect as a spirit ( like Ragequin DOS1 ) When you resurrect your spell reset their CD, you loose all your equipment atributes and you can only "fight" for 2 turns, after that you are banished.
(This mean that if your equip have lot memory, you will loose tons of spells, so u have to put first the ones you want to stay with, since with no equip ur melee /range dmg suck)

Dragonform: Phyro 10
You gain +50% fire DMG + 50% incrise area of your AOE spells + 50%range on spells + 50% Fire resist, your also get a HP and Armor/magical Bonus, but you now can DMG ur allies with spells (AOE) and there is a small chance when you use a spell to produce "Overpower" that cause you to explode dealing a heavy AOE DMG arround you, igniting the field and appling BURN 3 on everyone.

Moon Servant: Hidro 10
Healing effectivness incrise 50% and also will heal 10% of the total ammount of healing you do as magic armor when you use it, but will instantly form a "water surface" on the feet of the one you heal/target and you will always get the "wet" state when you cast and the 3 turns after (stack)
In adittion, you gain inmunity to "fall" on ice.

Nature Guardian: Geo 10
You gain Poison inmunity and incrise Physical Armor. You gain "Bounded to mothers nature" that will make you inmune to teleport and Knowckdown, But you will get +1 cost to movement in every turn and your magic armor will be converted into physical armor, although enemis will still first need to destroy your Physical armor to hit you with spells, CC will be unstopable.

Air Essence: Air 10
You dont need to waste any points on moving on combat and your evasion will go up to +30% on spells and +50% on melee atacks, but you will get a -80% "weight you can have" (bad english =x) and all the spells will cost +1 on memory slots.

Dark Arts: Necro 10
You get leech on every spell you use, healing for 10% of the DMG you deal.

Raise Undead: Necro 3-6-9
3: You can ressurect foes (scroll) to fight for you for 1 turn (you control them) they will get 50% less dmg and health. Max:1 foe
6: Same with 30% less dmg and health / 2 Turns / 1 Foe
9:Same with 30% less dmg and health / 3 Turns / 2 Foes

Hybrid: Need to have at least 3 Points on 3 different Schools
When you cast an spell of any of these 3 schools, you got a chance to "substract" 1AP of your next spell of any of the hybrid, can only occur 1 per turn (the cost can be 0, small chance)
In adittion you gain "Clarity" that allow you to "share" 1 "X" memory slot wihthin those classes, for example:
Hybrid Fire/Earth/Necro.
You have 4 memory slots.
1 fire spell cost 3 memory slots, then a Necro spell cost 2 memory slot, u can have both. The "shared X" would only be able for 2 spells, not 3 spells can share an X.

You also gain "Saturated" that will cause all other school that dont reach the "3" point require +1 to memory slot on any spell and +1on AP.

Knowlage:
Every 3 (or 2) Point wasted on any school of magic, you gain 1 memory slot.
Ex: if u have 6 on fire you got 2 memory // If you have 3 on fire and 3 on water you got 2 memory // if you have 6 on fire and 3 on water, you got 3 memory.

Last edited by Le Gord; 29/11/16 06:45 AM.
veteran
veteran
I like dark Arts a lot.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Le Gord
I love magic classes, so i will post some talents for them:

Chaos:
When you reach X points (6?) on any magic school you gain the power to penetrate magic armor with that school, hitting directily to HP, not even touching magic armour (CC will still be stopped by magic armor)

Interesting. With that, you sacrifice your ability to perform CC on enemies with magic armor, in exchange for more direct damage. I'm not sure if that would be balanced or not, but this is certainly an interesting idea.

Wail of the Banshee: require High lvl and int.
The area of effect of your AOE spells(radius) incrise by 90% and their casting range decrase 80% (in case is not selfcast) but now they will deal just half of the total dmg to Magic Armor / Physical armor / HP at the same time, also their dmg will be applied to allies if they are in the AOE (even you) and all the AOE spells will now cost +1 (or 2) AP

So the radius of the spell is doubled, but the range at which you can cast it is halved. That might put the player inside the blast radius of their own spells much more often. I believe that spells already do friendly damage by default. It lets you hit more targets for less damage for more AP. Hmmm... not sure.

Water Bounded: Hidrophist 5?
Reduce by 1( or 2) the memory slots to water spells, cant be 0.
In addittion, you gain a +1 (or +2) memory slot cost on all other elements.
(Optional: you also reduce by 1 the cost point on that element, and incrise by 1 on other elements (cant be 0), or maybe just the first one)

Same with all other elements ( earth/fire/air/death bounded)

Interesting idea, but a single-focused school mage is already a bit dubious of a proposition since you just KNOW that sooner or later you'll be facing enemies immune to that element.

Dance with the dead: Necromancy 10
When you died, you resurrect as a spirit ( like Ragequin DOS1 ) When you resurrect your spell reset their CD, you loose all your equipment atributes and you can only "fight" for 2 turns, after that you are banished.
(This mean that if your equip have lot memory, you will loose tons of spells, so u have to put first the ones you want to stay with, since with no equip ur melee /range dmg suck)

Maybe rename this "From Beyond the Grave"? So if I understand this right, if you die, you revive in ghost form for two turns to do a last-gasp attack and then you need a resurrection scroll? What if you get rezzed earlier? Is the spirit form immortal or can it die before the two turns are up?

Dragonform: Phyro 10
You gain +50% fire DMG + 50% incrise area of your AOE spells + 50%range on spells + 50% Fire resist, your also get a HP and Armor/magical Bonus, but you now can DMG ur allies with spells (AOE) and there is a small chance when you use a spell to produce "Overpower" that cause you to explode dealing a heavy AOE DMG arround you, igniting the field and appling BURN 3 on everyone.

As I said already, AoE spells damage friendly targets by default, putting that in as a downside is incorrect because it is in anyway. This also seems somewhat overpowered since as a Talent, it is permanently on.

Moon Servant: Hidro 10
Healing effectivness incrise 50% and also will heal 10% of the total ammount of healing you do as magic armor when you use it, but will instantly form a "water surface" on the feet of the one you heal/target and you will always get the "wet" state when you cast and the 3 turns after (stack)
In adittion, you gain inmunity to "fall" on ice.

I think one thing to be concerned about is overloading Talents with too many effects. Here, we have:

+ Healing Effectivenes +50%
+ Heals 10% of heal amount as Magic Armor
+ Immunity to slipping on Ice
- Forms water surface beneath feet of target
- Gain Wet status for 3 turns after casting.

That's a lot to fit into a tooltip. Additionally, is that status effect for 3 turns after EVERY skill or every magic spell or only after every water-school spell?

Nature Guardian: Geo 10
You gain Poison inmunity and incrise Physical Armor. You gain "Bounded to mothers nature" that will make you inmune to teleport and Knowckdown, But you will get +1 cost to movement in every turn and your magic armor will be converted into physical armor, although enemis will still first need to destroy your Physical armor to hit you with spells, CC will be unstopable.

Another tooltip-killer. These are getting pretty complicated.

Air Essence: Air 10
You dont need to waste any points on moving on combat and your evasion will go up to +30% on spells and +50% on melee atacks, but you will get a -80% "weight you can have" (bad english =x) and all the spells will cost +1 on memory slots.

-80% weight capacity is pretty steep, and +1 Memory to all spells could possibly be crippling.

Dark Arts: Necro 10
You get leech on every spell you use, healing for 10% of the DMG you deal.

This one is simple, easy to understand, and builds on the benefit already provided by the Necromancy school. I like it.

more later

stranger
stranger
Hi! ty for the response, first of all i have to say that i really forgot that AOE spells hit allies since i was always was thinking in war AOE knockdown when i made the post, my bad.
Then i ll have to admit once i read them again that the 10 talents are a little bit insane, i just delirius there cose i want something GOOD for spending 10 points in a school and at the same time that those talents have a "weakness"
Thats why im going to redesign them to make them more suitable for DOS.

Dragonform:
Gain 10% more fire dmg and the ablity to applie BURN on enemy through the magic armor (although he burning ticks will consume magic armor till its down) . Also Gain 20% water and fire resist.

Moon Servant:
Gain 5% more healing effectivness for 2 turns each time you cast a healing spell, stacks up to 5 times. Also gain 20% more magic armor

Earth Guardian:
You gain inmunity to knockdown and teleportation. Also gain 20% more physical armor

Air Essence:
You gain 1 free point for movement (stack with the other one) Also gain 20% more air ressit and 20% more evasion

My idea, although it wasnt clear the first post is giving each school (except from necro) a "Path" being fire the Magic Dmg, Water the Support, Earth the tank and Air the Phys Dmg.

From Beyond the Gave:
Once you died, your spirit comes into battle for 2 turns,having half your HP and DMG. if you got resurrected when your spirit is up you will get "Soul decay" for 10 turns, not letting use this talent for that duration.

On the other hand we got the "Bouned elements" And yes it might appear some 100%element resist but thats part of the idea, risking going on a full element build (maybe having some other spell elements just in case, despite the contras) its not only to dmg them, you can also:Heal, Create surface as oil or smoke r fog, ice, etc.

Last edited by Le Gord; 01/12/16 08:24 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
You could probably merge some of these together. Like, there's an Earth Resistance Talent in the OP. Merge that with Earth Guardian, so the talent gives you the +% to Earth Resistance and increased physical armor. That's one of the ideas I was peddling in my posts. Immunities seem too much for a talent that powerful.

The schools already have a path Gord. Air deals damage to magic armor and stuns, water heals and buffs magic armor, fire deals direct damage and buffs your stats, earth debuffs enemies and buffs you.

Shouldn't Dragonform have a debuff to water resistance rather than a buff? Also wouldn't that be insanely overpowered with earth spells (poison dart?) due to the way elemental surfaces work right now?

stranger
stranger
I actually think that the inmunities are really good but at the same time they are not unbalanced since you need to waste lot of skillspoints on it and knockdown its a way off CC through phyisical armor, you can still CC him a lot and dmg it with magic and magic CC. I would reconsider the telep inmunity, and i forgot to put the earth resist there.

With the "School path" i was meaning that you can do a "full hybrid" with 2 schools, for example doing a rouge trying to reach the 10 air, so he can move more or a tank with earth to get more armor and inmunity and both at the same time have lot of spells to use.

I said this cose in DOS (at least for my gameplays) i never had a "solid" char, since all of them combine almost all the schools, having mage, tanks, ranger and rogues with adrenaline, teleport, stuns, charm, slow(less ap) and lot more cc and buff (like haste of rogue, really op), and i know that larian dont want to "put an only path to the chars" but i think this is why at least for me the game turns so easy, cose you can make all hybrid chars combining all the 1st school buffs and pros, making a really difference between you and the mobs.
Here they put memory slots, its a huge pro to stop this full hybrid builds (since now you dont have to reach the stat to get 100% chance, you have to also have the memory slot to use it) but i want to see the final version to ensure that.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Ok here is one that might be a LITTLE overpowered... but I'll try.

-Mugger (Req: Pickpocket of 3 likely): When speaking to someone you get the option to steal from them in a conversation without anyone seeing. It is less efficient but is a safer way to steal key items.
-Speed Drinker: Unlocks an ability that gives you a free action to quaff a potion (Whether it be healing or resistance).
--Alternatively this could not work with healing potions
-Bottletoss (Scoundrel): Allows you to throw potions in battle as if they were grenades.
--Alternatively this could work only with negative potions and poisons.
-Social Grace (Persuasion): Once per conversation you can recover from a failed persuasion roll, allowing you to try again.
--Alternatively: Failed persuasion gives a grace period to escape before combat occurs, allowing one to escape.

stranger
stranger
really like mugger, but i would put a "penalty" to steal less than normal way, so you could use it just for that (or maybe let the first item you steal, make it 100% posible to be stolen, but then you cant steal anymore from that npc)
speed drinker i love it! both ones, maybe if let you drink heal just recover half of the flask. ( this will be for battle or turn? i mean the free ap)

N
old hand
old hand
N
Mugger has a penalty written right in there. It is less efficient, you can steal a lot more pickpocketing the normal way.

Mugging's main purpose is it relies less on not being seen and getting behind a person.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Mugger sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to add in a conversation option to each person. If there was a mass "add to all" option, that would cause problems too such as mugging Alexandar at the end. Additionally, it sounds like "give me your stuff or I'll attack you" sounds like that should probably not work on everyone. If you try to mug a guard or someone tough or someone higher level, they should just kick your ass - realistically speaking.

Speed Drinker sounds good.

N
old hand
old hand
N
Ok time to get more risque. Time for Racial Talents!

First are Racial Skill Enhancers.

Human
-Grand General (Leadership: #): Encourage is enhanced further, giving it a +2 to all stats and giving leadership a further reach (and applying it to yourself). However Encourage now takes 2ap and 5-turn recovery.
--Alternatively. Humans gain the ability to double the range of leadership and make Encourage affect all allies regardless of range.

Lizardman
-Dragon (Pyromancy): Firebreath now boosts off of Intelligence, and becomes a far longer reaching cone with better damage output.
-Dragoon (Warfare): Firebreath now boosts off of strength. In addition to dealing damage, it also provides a fire damage bonus to all physical attacks for a period of time.

Elves already have it too good.

Next are Build Changers. These swap around racial traits and give an additional bonus.

Elf
-Druid (Must take upon creation): Elves lose one dex, and gain 1 intelligence. They gain the skill "Spellshot" which forces an Elf's next attack to be magical instead.

Lizardman
-Brute (Must take upon creation): Lizardmen loses 1 intelligence and gains 1 strength. The Lizardman gains "Phantasm" a skill that makes the next attack be physical instead.

Stabbey Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Apparently the latest patch actually nerfed Guerrilla from +50% damage to +25%, thus making it literally useless. It obviously needs heavy changing. So here's my idea.

Guerrilla
Sneak AP cost increased to 2, but Guerrilla gives a +25% damage bonus to normal attacks made when sneaking AND normal attacks do not break sneak. Skills, grenades, special arrows all break Sneaking and do not get the bonus. Backstabs and other criticals on normal attacks do get the bonus.

Add in improved AI so enemies hit by sneak attacks will look around for the attacker when their turn comes up and I think this will work.

Last edited by Stabbey; 14/12/16 08:29 PM. Reason: tweak
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard