Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
That statement works if you define "contributes".
Without properly defining what you mean by something contributing the entire statement becomes pointless since it is a potentially very broad word and could be used to mean very different things.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by chocolate
Originally Posted by Baardvark
I guess I just don't find D:OS is really all that much about immersion in the way that Skyrim or The Witcher 3 are. Sure, obviously I don't want it to feel like I'm just playing a game, but running around the world isn't going to be immersive like it is in first or even third-person games. It's just not the kind of game where the world feels huge and epic. Maybe later in the game I'll feel like I'm deep in the wilds or trapped in a dungeon, but it's hard to get that feeling when you can just move your camera over to civilization. I don't think run speed will affect that feeling, but I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I really want quite a modest change. Many people are going to be sad about always available rift travel being gone, though I think that's overall a good thing.

I think you'll find little support for the idea that non-combat healing should take resources. You don't even need to really invest in a healer since you could just Migo's Ring (even just equipping it out of combat). Or one point in hydrosophist and restoration isn't asking much, which will be plenty of healing out of combat. Again, D:OS isn't the kind of game where you're going extremely far into dungeons and wilds and need to be self-sufficient for long periods of time. It's more about density of interesting interactions than epic immersion, at least to me.

You don't feel D:OS is really about immersion because it's all done so poorly, but it is a game that should be immersive, don't let Larian's broken systems convince you that D:OS shouldn't be an immersive game. (It is literally a role playing game, and immersion is what puts you into a role and makes you play the game in that role.)

Please, don't use examples of broken things from the game to prove a point. Yes, Migo's ring eliminates the need for a dedicated healer, eliminates the cost and reward of having one, and shitty skill trees don't force a character to be a dedicated healer. That's because these are broken mechanics not doing what they should, it doesn't prove anything other than that immersion can be done wrong, and I've already stated this.

Almost every mechanic in Divinity created for immersion is done wrong, because Larian doesn't understand that these are immersion mechanics, and throws them in without thought. If you want to use examples to prove your points, then use complete games like D&D, not broken ones in alpha.

Sorry if this all comes off a little harsh. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, text just has a way of looking angry when you're stating points.

No offense taken. I guess I see two different kinds of immersion: Where I feel like I personally am in an incredible world, which is more about visceral wonder, awe, and cool factor, or where I feel like I'm immersed in an incredible story with characters that matter and interesting situations, which is more of a cerebral immersion. They're not mutually exclusive, but personally, a top down game is probably never going to elicit that former kind of immersion for me.

So any mechanics really focused on the kind of visceral immersion are going to be a hard sell for me. E.g., enjoying the wonder and vastness of the environment while running to the nearest waypoint to buy some skillbooks.

A big part of it is controlling multiple characters. It's just so hard to get involved with all 4 different characters, though I do enjoy their stories. Maybe 4-player multi-player where I only have to care about one person will be more immersive on all levels. But 4-character micromanaging gets tedious, nevermind something like healing each individual character and considering how to manage my potions post-combat (and why should a bedroll be consumed on use? That's not immersive). If you increase the investment of making a healer, and require resource based healing, you make a healer basically mandatory just for post-combat healing, which isn't really in the spirit of D:OS, where most combinations of builds can work.

I don't think comparing D:OS to a tabletop game is a fair comparison, at least until there's the GM mode. There's just so much room for imagination to create immersion than in a video game.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Baardvark
No offense taken. I guess I see two different kinds of immersion: Where I feel like I personally am in an incredible world, which is more about visceral wonder, awe, and cool factor, or where I feel like I'm immersed in an incredible story with characters that matter and interesting situations, which is more of a cerebral immersion. They're not mutually exclusive, but personally, a top down game is probably never going to elicit that former kind of immersion for me.

So any mechanics really focused on the kind of visceral immersion are going to be a hard sell for me. E.g., enjoying the wonder and vastness of the environment while running to the nearest waypoint to buy some skillbooks.

A big part of it is controlling multiple characters. It's just so hard to get involved with all 4 different characters, though I do enjoy their stories. Maybe 4-player multi-player where I only have to care about one person will be more immersive on all levels. But 4-character micromanaging gets tedious, nevermind something like healing each individual character and considering how to manage my potions post-combat (and why should a bedroll be consumed on use? That's not immersive). If you increase the investment of making a healer, and require resource based healing, you make a healer basically mandatory just for post-combat healing, which isn't really in the spirit of D:OS, where most combinations of builds can work.

I don't think comparing D:OS to a tabletop game is a fair comparison, at least until there's the GM mode. There's just so much room for imagination to create immersion than in a video game.

These mechanics help regardless of the games camera angles, but third person will always be more immersive, and first person will always be the most immersive. It doesn't mean top down games can't be, just means they have to work harder to get that same level when you don't feel like you are looking through your characters eyes.

And like I've said immersion is 50/50. It's understandable if you don't find top down games immersive, as something like that is getting more into personal taste than mechanics.

And Divinity isn't really trying to enthrall you with its wonder or vastness, this kind of immersion is just trying to make you feel in the back of your head that the game world is a real place with consequences and rewards, make you feel like it has a pulse.

On the multiple characters this is also personal taste, there isn't really anything broken with it just not everyone likes controlling four people and finds it experience breaking. I know that I do, I only ever play with at max two characters, and I'll use the other two to stand around in important places like shops.

I don't think a healer with a required healing stat other than Intelligence would be so detrimental, there are still potions in the game and bedrolls and beds in town, and also the fact that being smart in battle and avoiding damage will save resources. And when I say these things, don't think about how the game is now, but think about how it could be, how the rest of the game could change around these mechanics to back them up, like lowering damage values and actions per turn so there can be more reward for good tactics.

I don't think this is for the best, or that I'm perfectly 100% right, but thinking about these things is good whether you agree with them or not, because it's never helpful to get stuck with an idea of what a game is so much that you can't see what it could be.

And on your last comment, I didn't mean like, you should compare a video game to a table top game, I meant that you shouldn't use examples of things that are broken or non existent to prove that they shouldn't exist or that they don't work. And d&d is a complete game, so if you are looking for any examples of things that work, it's the best place to start.

That statement works if you define "contributes".
Without properly defining what you mean by something contributing the entire statement becomes pointless since it is a potentially very broad word and could be used to mean very different things.

I don't think it's so bad to leave it vague. There are so many parts of a game, if something is contributing to any part then it's worthwhile in some amount.

Last edited by chocolate; 23/10/16 06:27 PM.
ramses01 #594474 24/10/16 08:56 AM
Back on topic, the problem with increasing movement speed even out of combat is that there are already a couple time sensitive events that we have encountered. Honestly though the game feels about right to me, especially compared to older isometric rpgs. It is also fairly comparable to similar modern titles, such as Pillars of Eternity/Tyranny. (being the most direct comparison)

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kilroy512512
Back on topic, the problem with increasing movement speed even out of combat is that there are already a couple time sensitive events that we have encountered. Honestly though the game feels about right to me, especially compared to older isometric rpgs. It is also fairly comparable to similar modern titles, such as Pillars of Eternity/Tyranny. (being the most direct comparison)

yeah it just needs another shrine somewhere around the last few areas and that's really it as far as world navigation changes

ramses01 #594479 24/10/16 09:25 AM
Nod

Chaotic neutral, not chaotic stupid.
ramses01 #594480 24/10/16 09:28 AM
veteran
veteran
As far as I remember, people found possible shrine places, that aren't 'implemented' in the actual state. But not sure if they really will get or why they are missing.

ramses01 #594508 24/10/16 11:01 AM
journeyman
journeyman
well personally i think every square inch of the world should be covered in shrines since reading the dialogue when you first find them is such a delicious treat

ramses01 #594527 24/10/16 01:29 PM
veteran
veteran
I think one more shrine at the statue outside of Braccus's armory and one shrine at the east end, near the cliff at the far eastern point would suffice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard