Next Thread
Print Thread
L
lofll Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Loving the game so far! Just been playing arena since I want to play a completely finished and polished campaign the first time I go into it, but I'm really liking the new mechanics with different surfaces and source points. Can't wait for the full release!

But I did have a couple things that I were hoping to changed from DOS1 that are back in their original state:

* Why can't I make a (optional?) confirmation of the action I'm about to take? This was terrible in the recent XCOM games as well as DOS1, and has been a disaster for my DOS2 arena games so far. When you click and the mouse moves 1px right before the button fires, and then you do something you completely didn't want to it's incredibly frustrating. There's 1.52 X 10^90 different ways for some tiny micro-movement in the camera or the mouse position to destroy the intent of what I was trying to do with my turn. I would love a feature where before actually doing it, it shows the arc of the ability/thrown consumable/etc or draws a line along the movement path (if either apply) and gives me a "Really do this action? [commit] [cancel]" dialogue.

* Why can't I look at the debuff an enemy has? Maybe I'm missing something, but this bothered me all throughout multiple playthroughs of the first game and is still annoying in DOS2. If I get a status effect on one of the characters, I can mouse over its icon next to the portrait and see what it does. If an enemy gets an effect, I can select their portrait and see the icon, but I can't get the tooltip for it because as soon as I mouse away from the portrait it disappears.

* Why can't I change what character I have selected during someone else's turn? While i'm waiting through the enemy's turn I'm locked in to one particular character. Sometimes after I finish my fighters turn I want to click my wizard and browse his hotbar to strategize. Again, if it's possible I never figured out how.

*Why can't I speed up the enemy's turn? Especially during single player sometimes it feels like a huge chore and a time sink to wait for a lot of enemies to slowly take their turns. An option to speed it up would be nice! I understand that there's weirdness where some things are actually real time rather than turn based like spreading of surfaces and that this may not be realistically possible... But it would be really nice...

Last edited by lofll; 27/09/16 03:51 AM.
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
It would be tedius to have a "are you sure?" pop up come everytime i wish to take action, i do however want ever since DOS1 a cancel button, right now you can only end turn if you wish to cancel movement that you did not intend because you missclicked, so some sort of way to cancel movement would be great.

I have actiully not memorized if it exist in this second game, but in the first you could right click a enemy and choose "examine" and there you can read debuff and stuff, however this did demand loremaster.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by lofll

* Why can't I look at the debuff an enemy has? Maybe I'm missing something, but this bothered me all throughout multiple playthroughs of the first game and is still annoying in DOS2. If I get a status effect on one of the characters, I can mouse over its icon next to the portrait and see what it does. If an enemy gets an effect, I can select their portrait and see the icon, but I can't get the tooltip for it because as soon as I mouse away from the portrait it disappears.

Right-click on an enemy and select "Examine", then you can see their stats and stat buffs/debuffs.

* Food items currently heal once on the first turn. They should heal for less that a small potion, but they should heal that each turn as long as the food lasts, and you can only have one food effect at time. It's the difference between potions which are an instant heal and one which takes place over time.

L
lofll Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Ludvig
It would be tedius to have a "are you sure?" pop up come everytime i wish to take action

I agree that it would be very tedious. However targeting the wrong thing is so frustrating that I would still like to have the option. Especially in the middle of a long, difficult fight. Maybe as a keybind? So I could bind alt+click to the confirmation... Or maybe a regular click has the confirmation and alt+click skips it... Anyway if it could be easily implemented I think it would be a helpful feature to have available.

Originally Posted by Ludvig
you could right click a enemy and choose "examine" and there you can read debuff and stuff, however this did demand loremaster.

Hah, I knew there was going to be at least of these points where I just didn't know how to do it. Thank you, that's very helpful!

edit... sorry I'm new to these forums... the quote feature works in preview but the markup is visible as plaintext on the actual post.... oh well....

Last edited by vometia; 27/09/16 05:22 AM. Reason: formatting
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by lofll
edit... sorry I'm new to these forums... the quote feature works in preview but the markup is visible as plaintext on the actual post.... oh well....

It's just a restriction new users have until someone moves you to the regular users' group, which I've now done. smile

J'aime le fromage.
mfr Offline
journeyman
journeyman
There are still some problems with enemies who are animated when PCs are aiming bows or wands. This may account for some of the incorrect actions which are reported above. Would it be possible/practical to freeze enemy animations during the player's turn.

One place where I would like to see a "confirm" button is when levelling up, as in DOS 1. I like to check the final result of all choices before making my mind up, and this is not possible at present.

The "locking on to characters" mechanism when using area of effect attacks such as grenades is a nuisance as it can be impossible to make a theoretically possible attack which hits enemies only. It would be better to have a keyboard-driven option to aim at a chosen point rather than lock to any character who is close to that point. (It is possible that I may have missed a way of doing exactly that.)

Last edited by mfr; 27/09/16 10:01 AM.

Someone must have spiked her senna pod drink!
L
lofll Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by mfr
There are still some problems with enemies who are animated when PCs are aiming bows or wands. This may account for some of the incorrect actions which are reported above. Would it be possible/practical to freeze enemy animations during the player's turn.

Well... That too, but to give a specific example of what I'm referring to: one time I was trying to move to a spot right along the edge of a difference in elevation. Either my hand moved as I went to click, or some animation issue caused it to move, but right as I clicked the cursor shifted onto the wrong height. This is user error, not the game's fault... But in my opinion the UI could be improved to better correct for human error.

It doesn't even have to be a confirmation... Even just something as simple as requiring that LMB be held down rather than clicked in order to initiate an action would eliminate this. On button_down the target position is locked in and it plays a short animation at the cursor location to indicate confirmation is in progress. If key_up occurs before the animation completes, it is cancelled. Otherwise, it is executed.

Maybe not everyone has butterfingers to the same extent as me when it comes to this genre... But for me at least this would be a huge improvement.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard