Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Some people just argue like assholes by default. It can be helpful to just counter their points and ignore the rest; they might just be abrasive and not be attacking you personally.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Shadovvolfe
Some people just argue like assholes by default. It can be helpful to just counter their points and ignore the rest; they might just be abrasive and not be attacking you personally.

its too annoying to deal with. i shoulda just ignored, im a silly willy

Last edited by chocolate; 23/10/16 11:23 PM.
M
addict
addict
M
I don't know why people get so upset over this stuff, but like the wise Shadovvolfe has said - ignore if need be, and move on. There's still useful discussion to be had from all concerned.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The list has reached 392 441 items now, so I'd really like it if some devs could take a look at this because there are a lot of bugs in it that would be simple to fix in the next patch.

Last edited by chocolate; 24/10/16 09:24 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Speaking of... here's my thoughts on the problems

(problems 1 through 15)
1) "toggle button for not accidentally stealing things" Toggle button? I move around and I've never stolen anything by accident, or even been about to. I don't think that's necessary.

2) Yep
3) Action queu would help my headaches so much! Now if you want to be efficient, you have to time everything to perfection or risk being delayed by like a second. It may not sound much, but when you just want to get on with your round and not waste time that time does add up.

4) What is awful about the attribute system?
5) Ricochet is a very weak ability. Marksman's Fang is only marginally useful. (So is Throwing Knife.) Maybe Marksman's Fang ought to have a weak to average possibility (25-50%) of applying a Bleed effect or a Root effect? Not sure if Ricochet has a damage progression already, but would be nice to have something like 125% dmg on 1st target, 100% on 2nd and so on sort of a progression downwards. As for Throwing Knife... well tbh this ability should just be replaced by something else entirely, this just feels like something a rogue should be able to do without wasting a skill book on it. Maybe replace it with a skill that allows you to trip up a character or something to that effect?

6) It's also dangerous! I've lost count of the times I accidentally incinerated my own heroes because I fire-wanded some mook! Put one foot in that oil and you're done for. The effects bonanza was especially tough during the Haunted Forest Voidling ambush. I managed to get out of that, but had to waste about 4-6 resurrection scrolls. Seriously do NOT bring fire there, you WILL explode!

7-13) meh, nope, meh. Aside from graphical tweaks, I don't think these are actually issues. Self-repair hammers are very important for the player's comfort. Elemental grenades are cool, what's your issue with them?
14) Ground effects are the bread and butter of the D:OS combat system. I quite like them.
15) Special arrows are quite hard to come by unless you literally kill every Magister in Fort Joy (like I did. MUAHAHAHAH)

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kelsier
Speaking of... here's my thoughts on the problems

(problems 1 through 15)
1) "toggle button for not accidentally stealing things" Toggle button? I move around and I've never stolen anything by accident, or even been about to. I don't think that's necessary.

2) Yep
3) Action queu would help my headaches so much! Now if you want to be efficient, you have to time everything to perfection or risk being delayed by like a second. It may not sound much, but when you just want to get on with your round and not waste time that time does add up.

4) What is awful about the attribute system?
5) Ricochet is a very weak ability. Marksman's Fang is only marginally useful. (So is Throwing Knife.) Maybe Marksman's Fang ought to have a weak to average possibility (25-50%) of applying a Bleed effect or a Root effect? Not sure if Ricochet has a damage progression already, but would be nice to have something like 125% dmg on 1st target, 100% on 2nd and so on sort of a progression downwards. As for Throwing Knife... well tbh this ability should just be replaced by something else entirely, this just feels like something a rogue should be able to do without wasting a skill book on it. Maybe replace it with a skill that allows you to trip up a character or something to that effect?

6) It's also dangerous! I've lost count of the times I accidentally incinerated my own heroes because I fire-wanded some mook! Put one foot in that oil and you're done for. The effects bonanza was especially tough during the Haunted Forest Voidling ambush. I managed to get out of that, but had to waste about 4-6 resurrection scrolls. Seriously do NOT bring fire there, you WILL explode!

7-13) meh, nope, meh. Aside from graphical tweaks, I don't think these are actually issues. Self-repair hammers are very important for the player's comfort. Elemental grenades are cool, what's your issue with them?
14) Ground effects are the bread and butter of the D:OS combat system. I quite like them.
15) Special arrows are quite hard to come by unless you literally kill every Magister in Fort Joy (like I did. MUAHAHAHAH)

1. doesn't matter if you think it's necessary, you could keep it always off and it won't hurt your experience. but for idiots like me who accidentally click on shit constantly like sum fkn monkey with a keyboard it will add a lot to our experience. takes nothing away from players who don't care, adds to the experience of players who do. should be added

4. the attribute system is complete garbage, it punishes you for getting too much of an attribute by giving you nothing once you get a certain amount, while also making getting too much of an attribute incredibly hard by lowering how much every attribute is worth with each level. most of the attributes lose all value after level 1-3 because of this, and leveling up will make you lose a ton of damage before you've put attribute points in, and even after you have put the points in you will still be dealing less damage than you did the level before. level up should always make you stronger. more of an attribute should always make you stronger, not struggle to keep you at the same amount of damage you've always been at.

Also I updated number 4 in the list to say this ^ so it's more explained now

5. no, the damage of the early game ranger moves is fine. the problem is that both of them unpredictably hit neutrals and characters not in fights. they both just need better aiming reticles so you know what you are hitting, I'll update this one on the list too

7. an option for a hotkey is just like the theft toggle button, hurts nobody and adds to some players experiences. should be added

8. the character creation poses are way too over the top, looking at the female elf creation poses and the female human poses feels like looking at two different games.

9. the ladder animation doesn't fit in a game like this simply because it's a global animation that every single character uses. not to say it couldn't have a place it just doesn't belong as a global animation.

10. the design of dese elvs is gr8 scru u

11. the lighting issue is a big deal as it happens almost everywhere below ground and in the most important place to see what your character looks like, the creation screen. idk how hard something like this is to fix but it should be fixed with a pretty high priority

12. free mobile repairs break the durability mechanic, because the point of durability is that it comes at the cost of either skill points and materials to fix your gear, or at the cost of time (walking to a blacksmith) and gold to fix your gear. with repair hammers, which i can assure you the player doesn't care about, durability loses all cost and all that is left is the reward of repaired gear, which turns it into an annoying mechanic that causes players to say things like "i dont understand why durability is in the game". players care about their gold and their skill points, these feel like fair trades for repaired gear. random hammers and tongs doesn't.

13/14. ground effects should not be in every fight and they should be limited to mages, and only the higher level spells should be able to paint ground effects at will like almost all of the spells do right now. contamination (turn all compatible nearby surfaces to poison) is a really good use of ground effects and could be an early game spell. because the player can't control where these ground effects are going to be, it forces them to be creative to get use out of it. more ground effects is bad, they invalidate entire play styles (rogue) and force all combat into elemental battle with no mind paid to physical classes. and saying things like "well rogues have winged feet now to make up for that" is just bad, winged feet is something rogues shouldn't have its a shitty reaction to too many ground effects making rogues unplayable by giving them a spell that makes no sense for a rogue. and now we have grenades? we don't need more ground effects in the game, we need less.

15. same as above, we need less ground effects and the ground effects in the game should be coming from wizards. i hate these stupid fucking arrows with a passion, and don't think i'm flipping my shit hERE BUT IM FLIPPING MY FUCKING SHIT I HATE THESE FUCKING ARROWS

anyways. ahem. lol. we need less ground effects in general, and they especially shouldn't be coming from physical classes. arrows like knockdown arrow, armor piercing arrow, poison arrow (as in poison the person you shoot, not put poison on the ground), and steam cloud arrow; these are awesome. these are the things a ranger should be using. not shooting out ground effects everywhere, that's what a mage should be doing. if devs want to keep grenades it should somehow be limited to rogues and rangers, and it should be similar to the arrows above. no ground effects whatsoever unless they are non damaging (blinding clouds, ice, etc.)

and thanks for going over some of the list and giving your opinions. just 437 more to go c;

(2, 3, and 6 not mentioned because we agree)

Last edited by chocolate; 24/10/16 10:52 AM.
veteran
veteran
Okay some brief feedback on

#1 - 50

1. Nah, just save often, and get better at not clicking on things you don't want to steal.

2. Sure, a pause could probably be added. Just because it could be a multiplayer game is not an excuse. You can pause in STARCRAFT. Add a pause, and allow any player to unpause.

3. Maybe? Not really sure if this is needed.

4. Right now the attributes and abilities could use some changes. But from what I've heard, changes are coming in the next major patch, so I'll wait for those before commenting.

5. Agree, those shouldn't target neutrals.

6. Hmmm... How about this: Wands allow for free ranged attacks, but cannot target/inflict effects on surfaces, but Staffs get only one 0 AP attack per turn (Staff of Magus), but can target and affect surfaces?

7. What's wrong with just unlocking the bar?

8. I don't really care either way, but I honestly don't see anything particularly wrong with that. Is this a sexism thing or a "Anything which is not serious is forbidden" thing?

9. Keep the ladder animation, there is zero wrong with it and it does not at all break the game's theme or tone at all.

12. Material harvesting for repairs, in a game with limited loot, 80%+ of which is generated from the RNG seems like it could be obnoxious. It would have to depend on what materials and what kind of a pain it would be to get them (and how much RNG luck is required). Yes to repair all and Identify all buttons.

13. I'm neutral on this issue. I didn't bother with grenades on my playthrough.

14. Warrior's Ground Pound can remove some surfaces. What if Whirlwind could also remove surfaces? Otherwise, I do not agree that mages shouldn't get any ground targeting abilities. Surfaces and surface interactions are a big feature in the game. I'm not sure how your suggestions for limiting access to them would work, it would have to require changing requirements in several ways.

15. Disagree. Surface creation is a big feature in the game.

16. Disagree. ESPECIALLY when it comes to skill books. Gating skills behind attribute values in a game where you only get TWO per level and have to rely on the RNG for the rest is a terrible idea which kills hybrid classes. And killing hybrid classes in a game with a 7:1 INT-STR ratio of skills is especially bad.

17. Maybe? I haven't used a fire/poison mage much and can't judge.

18. Sure.

19. No.

21. If you can't see it you can't hit it. Seems reasonable enough.

22. I guess so?

25. Nah. I don't really care if it would be optional, but I don't mind its existence at all.

27. Agreed.

28. The dying guy is a guard in a concentration camp which you want to leave. I think it's reasonable for the characters to get a little bit of information first.

31. Agreed, the AoE radius MUST show the range including the strikes. Otherwise the radius indicator is pretty pointless.

32. There are other large threads discussing CC. I haven't got a firm opinion on those so I'll not comment here either.

33. That sounds like something which would be quite complicated to implement, and I don't think it's particularly needed.

34. There are other large threads discussing armor. I haven't got a firm opinion on those so I'll not comment here either.

35. I can't cast lightning from my fingertips IRL what is this garbage.

37. That's an obvious bug which should be fixed.

38. Yeah, automatic fights to the death are ridiculous, especially when people join in who just shouldn't care.

39. The flenser works for the magisters. Why wouldn't he get guards? That seems like it's working as intended. But if a guard finds you, he shouldn't ask you if you're a criminal - it should be an automatic problem because you're a prisoner in a restricted area.

40. Seems very powerful and it's also a bit bugged as it can hit you mid-turn incorrectly.

41. Agree, the debuff being refreshed should refresh the time, not apply two ticks of damage.

42. Enemies sometimes seem like they can do too much per turn, but I don't agree that players can do too much and should only be able to do two things.

43. Seems like a bug.

44. Seems like that would be a lot of work to do.

49. Yes, that probably shouldn't happen. If you don't have the requirement, you can't use the skill.

50. More complaints about animations. I don't agree with those complaints.

N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Originally Posted by chocolate
The list has reached 392 441 items now, so I'd really like it if some devs could take a look at this because there are a lot of bugs in it that would be simple to fix in the next patch.

Like Swen (our CEO) said, we are "looking at everything".
It's not because we don't answer on every single topic that we are not looking at them. smile

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by norD
Originally Posted by chocolate

Like Swen (our CEO) said, we are "looking at everything".
It's not because we don't answer on every single topic that we are not looking at them. smile

i luv u

also ill respond 2 u in a bit stabbey when im off my phone my paws wernt made 4 quoting on phone

Last edited by chocolate; 24/10/16 08:40 PM.
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
1. it should be an option, like in the menu to turn on the function. this is one of those low priority optional things that hurts nobody and helps some people.
2. yeh
3. its just to make doing things out of combat nicer. in almost all games like this you can queue actions out of combat so there's no downtime. just a small quality of life change that isn't really noticeable but makes the game feel sleeker
4. yeh
5. i dont really mind them targeting neutrals they just need to tell you exactly who they are targeting
6. i don't like mage weapons being used as spell substitutes. spells should be powerful enough to make up for a lack of a reliable weapon, staffs and wands should just be stat sticks that change some of the wizard spells depending on which one is being used. if a wizard has a basic attack it should be a shitty melee where they wap you with their wand/staff
7. same as #1 just an option that hurts nobody and helps some people. some people just prefer hotkeys over toggles
8. they just look bad. i don't think they need to look completely serious or anything, and after the pigs fiasco Larian showed they really understand the theme of their game so i trust them to figure something out. they're just off. and nah it's got nothing to do with the fact that they are girls just that most of the bad ones happen to be on female human. (female elf poses are way better, for reference)
9. it shouldn't be global for every character
12. well no i don't want to introduce material harvesting. but just imagine if you needed a skill level to use repair hammers. the repair hammer would be the material, and requiring a skill would make the mobile repairs instantly feel like they actually cost something the players care about instead of being free repairs. doesn't need to be materials, just needs to be a cost for mobile repairing, same way there is a cost for repairing at vendor (gold, time).
13. i'm never ok with harmful ground effects from physical classes. even if you don't bother with them grenades will still pop up from enemies, just don't think the game needs more messiness.
14. surfaces don't have to stop being part of the game, like i said mages should just require some investment in a skill tree before being able to paint ground effects freely. i want mages to start with more well rounded skills not all focused on ground effects, and have the early ground effect spells not able to target specific areas. then at mid game they'll get things like fireball that can paint a ground effect at wherever the mage wants. and they'll have put most of their points in fire. it just needs investment, too strong to get for free.
15. i don't think harmful ground effects should be coming from physical classes.
16. these things need to be gated. i didn't mention what the attribute requirements should be because we'll need to figure out over time what feels best. also these would only be accounting for base attributes, not modified attributes. right now hybrid is too strong, this doesn't remove hybrid it just balances it. and i'm not acknowledging the 7:1 int to finesse/strength spells thing, because something like that will stop anything from ever being balanced, so i'm assuming that Larian will fix it.
17. in the current game. if ground effects are changed to require more investment and only be on wizards (or from barrels/plants) then i think it's fine. but right now it's too easy.
18. yeh
19. that one is a joke ;c
21. you would still be able to hit them, they just don't appear and you can't see if you are hitting their hitbox before you shoot. a lot of the sight and stealth mechanics need to be reworked.
22. this one will need to be tested to see how it works out/feels to play. would be nice if we could have it for a short time to see how everyone likes it
25. we pretty much feel opposite about all the animations. i just don't like them being global, i've changed my mind about hating them completely.
27. yeh
28. when i play i'm pretty much always in the mind set of "my character is scared" so i'd just like some less clever/smart options. options to not really think too hard and just accept what the npc is saying
31. yeh
33. it would be cool to have for rangers. i don't think it would be so complicated, i'm sure they have some simple digit currently that is controlling the angle of the shot. could just add buttons to raise or lower that digit. (no matter your angle the arrow would always hit where your mouse was, this would just be for shooting over larger walls or rocks)
35. blood shouldn't just be another water it should be unique. and blood turning into stun water is garbage gameplay mechanic
37. yeah i didn't think this was intentional. changed it on the list to be more clear it's just a bug report
38. yeh
39. i see your point. he just didn't seem like the personality that would do it, he seemed kind of like "yeah i'm hot shit" so i figured he would think he could take me on his own.
40. yeh
41. yeh
42. i think attacks should have more value and risk so that two attacks per turn would be worth something. shouldn't be able to use so much in one turn unless you are just min max stacking speed, it loses any tactical value the game might have when everyone can do so much uninterrupted
43. i'm not really sure with this one. this whole thing was kinda confusing lol. just reporting it in case any of that wasn't intended by devs
44. this is very minor. just something to think about. don't feel too strongly about it, but it would be nice.
49. yeh

Last edited by chocolate; 24/10/16 10:22 PM.
veteran
veteran
1, 7. Contrary to popular opinion (not a dig at you, I've seen a lot of different people express this - including someone who wanted real-time combat and then complained that he only wanted it "as an OPTION"), describing a feature as an option is not a magic spell which somehow makes that feature free to create, implement, and test.

Each little feature requires time and effort to code and implement. We can't have an option for every small little feature all 40,000 users want or else the options screen will be very long.

6. With the presence of Memory in the game, and each and every spell having a cooldown of 3+ turns, I do not agree with stripping mages of basic ranged attack options.

16. I still disagree. Hybrids are not too strong, because they have two inherent limitations. The first is that splitting their attribute distribution makes them less powerful than specialists in both their areas. The second is that Memory is still a thing. In D:OS 1, a Hybrid could put a few points into a lot of schools and gain access to a lot of skills. That's not the case in D:OS 2 - a Hybrid might have access to more schools, but they can not equip more skills at once than specialists. (Well, maybe they can, but only by further sacrificing their power to focus points into Memory instead of the power-boosting primary attributes.)

I'll have feedback on more list items sometime later.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
No I understand, that's why I say they are low priority things. there just isn't any argument against harmless options other than they aren't important, so same with the racial armor i don't feel too strongly about it but it's something to keep in mind

i don't really care about how the game is when i make my suggestions. like memory, or spells having long cooldowns. i just say a change, and then think about how the game would have to change to make that work, and whether it would feel better. i think not needing a ranged attack would feel better for mages.

i see what you're saying. and i like memory a lot. maybe limit skill books by points in combat abilities, and scrolls by attribute? i'd like to see how these things feel to play in game

yeah actually on second thought using attribute requirements for skill books is just completely bad. should just have them require their combat ability, and scrolls with minimal attribute requirements just to stop rangers with no int from using lightning blast etc.

Last edited by chocolate; 25/10/16 04:41 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard